Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » New version 3.7 won't launch(My v3.4.2 works fine but new version won't launch)
New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811011] Thu, 01 March 2012 20:26 Go to next message
B J is currently offline B J
Messages: 4
Registered: March 2012
Junior Member
I have used an older version of Eclipse - v3.4.2 - for some time without problems.

However I have need of a newer version and so I downloaded v3.7.2:
"Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers"
... and:
"Eclipse Classic 3.7.2"

First I tried the one for EE Developers, checked the md5 and that was fine, so I unzipped it into c:\Program Files\eclipse.

But when I try to start it, it won't start. Instead I get this in the configuration log files:

...
eclipse.buildId=M20120208-0800
java.version=1.6.0_12
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2012-03-01 14:45:43.700
!MESSAGE Provisioning exception
!STACK 1
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2012-03-01 14:45:43.700
!MESSAGE Provisioning exception
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: Unknown repository type at file:/C:/Program%20Files/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/290/data/listener_1925729951/.
...
down a bit
...
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not create metadata repository for: file:/C:/Program%20Files/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/290/data/listener_1925729951/
...
finally
...
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.osgi.service.application.ApplicationException: No application id has been found.

I checked out the Readme_eclipse.html

and found nothing that seemed to help. Yes the folder mentioned above is read only, but I could not change that - the file system would not let me.

- - - -

Wondering if the problem might be that I installed it in "Program Files", with the space in the middle I figured I'd try and install it somewhere else. While I was at it I figured I'd try a different build, so I chose the classic version.

I downloaded that and check the md5 and then unzipped it.

When I tried to start it, it fails too, but now with an entirely different error in the configuration log file:

!MESSAGE An unexpected runtime error has occurred.
!STACK 0
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl not found
...
!MESSAGE Could not parse XML contribution for "org.eclipse.ant.core//plugin.xml". Any contributed extensions and extension points will be ignored.
!STACK 0
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Could not acquire XML parsing service.
...
!MESSAGE Could not parse XML contribution for "org.eclipse.ant.launching//plugin.xml". Any contributed extensions and extension points will be ignored.
!STACK 0
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Could not acquire XML parsing service.
...
!MESSAGE Could not parse XML contribution for "org.eclipse.ant.ui//plugin.xml". Any contributed extensions and extension points will be ignored.
!STACK 0
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Could not acquire XML parsing service.
...
finally ...
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not create metadata repository for: file:/C:/MySubDir/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/84/data/listener_1925729951/
...
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.osgi.service.application.ApplicationException: No application id has been found.

I searched through online help for eclipse and see nothing like this. I have no idea what the problem could be - any ideas?

NOTE: v3.4.2 still works fine. Did I forget to add some plugin or something? Thank you.

~Bill
Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811047 is a reply to message #811011] Thu, 01 March 2012 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3231
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/1/2012 1:26 PM, B J wrote:
> I have used an older version of Eclipse - v3.4.2 - for some time without
> problems.
>
> However I have need of a newer version and so I downloaded v3.7.2:
> "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers"
> ... and:
> "Eclipse Classic 3.7.2"
>
> First I tried the one for EE Developers, checked the md5 and that was
> fine, so I unzipped it into c:\Program Files\eclipse.
>
> [snip]
>
> ~Bill

(You were right to choose to unzip it "locally" instead of C:\Program
Files.)

Did you wire up a proper JRE? (In your case, you should be using a Sun
JDK since you're going to develop in Java.) See
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini for how to do this.

I don't see any sign of a problem, but your OS and JRE are 32-bit and
the Eclipse you downloaded is also 32-bit, right?

Grasping at straws...
Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811061 is a reply to message #811047] Thu, 01 March 2012 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B J is currently offline B J
Messages: 4
Registered: March 2012
Junior Member
Thank you for your answer Russel,

The correct JVM is being picked up.

I did however add it to the .ini file already and that did not help.

I tried starting as "eclipse -clean" too and that did not help.

I removed stuff that was in jre\lib\ext too and that did not help.

I found a bug: 318046, but apparently not everyone - including myself - benefits from the workarounds given there.

I don't get it - my v3.4.2 of eclipse works fine it seems.

~Bill
Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811103 is a reply to message #811061] Thu, 01 March 2012 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3231
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/1/2012 3:09 PM, B J wrote:
> Thank you for your answer Russel,
>
> The correct JVM is being picked up.
>
> I did however add it to the .ini file already and that did not help.
>
> I tried starting as "eclipse -clean" too and that did not help.
>
> I removed stuff that was in jre\lib\ext too and that did not help.
>
> I found a bug: 318046, but apparently not everyone - including myself -
> benefits from the workarounds given there.
>
> I don't get it - my v3.4.2 of eclipse works fine it seems.
>
> ~Bill

At the risk of boring you, here is a step-by-step of how I set my
environment up:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/eclipse-summary.html
Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811608 is a reply to message #811011] Fri, 02 March 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B J is currently offline B J
Messages: 4
Registered: March 2012
Junior Member
Thank you again Russel,

I went through the set up and problem solving part of your link. Trouble is, I had already tried it all.

I looked in my setup programs and saw that I had an old copy of the Helios zip file. I "installed" that and get the same problem.

The problem goes like this:
1. The first time I start Eclipse (or any subsequent time running as "eclipse -clean") I get the error that starts with (in 9876543210987.bak_0.log):

javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl not found

... and ends with ( in 9876543210987.log:

org.osgi.service.application.ApplicationException: No application id has been found.

2. Any other time I try to start it I get this error instead:

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: Unknown repository type at file:/C:/Program%20Files/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/290/data/listener_0987654321/.

... And it does not matter where I install Eclipse - "Program Files" or some other place - always the same thing.

~Bill

PS: Ganymede continues to run fine (fortunately).

PPS: I do Have Tomcat 6.0.18 installed and JDK 1.6.0_12

[Updated on: Fri, 02 March 2012 15:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811641 is a reply to message #811608] Fri, 02 March 2012 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3231
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/2/2012 8:42 AM, B J wrote:
> Thank you again Russel,
>
> I went through the set up and problem solving part of your link. Trouble
> is, I had already tried it all.
>
> I looked in my setup programs and saw that I had an old copy of the
> Helios zip file. I "installed" that and get the same problem.
>
> The problem goes like this:
> 1. The first time I start Eclipse (or any subsequent time running as
> "eclipse -clean") I get the error that starts with (in
> 9876543210987.bak_0.log):
>
> javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl not found
>
> ... and ends with ( in 9876543210987log:
>
> org.osgi.service.application.ApplicationException: No application id has
> been found.
>
> 2. Any other time I try to start it I get this error instead:
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: Unknown repository type
> at
> file:/C:/Program%20Files/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/290/data/listener_0987654321/.
>
>
> ... And it does not matter where I install Eclipse - "Program Files" or
> some other place - always the same thing.
>
> ~Bill

First, I wonder if you're getting a good unzip. You might try using
7zip; there have been problems sometimes using Winzip. Just to eliminate
potential problems, don't try this under Program Files. Do it under
C:\Users\bill\eclipse (or C:\Users\bill\eclipse\indigo if you want to
try all of this for different versions).

If you want to develop web applications, use the Eclipse IDE for Java EE
Developers download, otherwise, use the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
(If it's the first, don't worry about Tomcat right now.)

Second, please download the latest JDK from http://java.sun.com. Hover
over button Download, Popular Downloads, Java for Developers. Download
either 6.0_31 or 7u3 to a path under your subdirectory, say
C:\Users\bill\jdk1.6.0_31. Then, blow it open under there somewhere,
but, as noted in the part of my summary on getting a private JDK, don't
install it for the rest of your Windows host. Change the install path to
C:\Users\bill\jdk1.6.0_31 (you may need to re-specify your path twice
during the extraction). By doing that, we won't disturb anything else
that's going on, unless you wish to update the Java your host is running.

Next, wire up this JDK by adding

-vm
C:\Users\bill\jdk1.6.0_31\bin\javaw.exe

to C:\Users\bill\eclipse\eclipse.ini. This goes on the line just before
the one with -vmargs on it.

Because I'm not sitting next to you and seeing what you're seeing, what
I'm suggesting here accomplishes a) getting a good unzip of Eclipse and
b) ensuring you've got a good, clean JDK, and c) wiring that JDK up to
Eclipse for launch. This eliminates three potential variables. (Maybe
all of this run-around is unnecessary--let me know.)

Next, launch eclipse.exe and tell us what it says.

Decidedly, I'm clueless so far, but I'll stick to this until someone
else with a clue jumps in or I've simply run out of ideas.

Russ
Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811645 is a reply to message #811608] Fri, 02 March 2012 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B J is currently offline B J
Messages: 4
Registered: March 2012
Junior Member
I think it is fixed.

I went back and re-read the proposed solution at bug 318046.

I thought I had followed the directions:

"In our configuration, we require extra jars and for hysterical raisins we put
them in the jre/lib/ext folder (e.g., C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext). I
removed them, started with a clean Eclipse unzip (important!), and --voila--
success!"

While I deleted them from the: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\jre\lib\ext folder instead - duh! I also re-started as "eclipse -clean", instead of deleting and starting with a fresh zip file.

In the end I found that it was the xercesImpl.jar that I had in the ext folder that is the culprit. I put all the other files back there and indigo still works.

Thanks Russel for you time and attention.

~Bill

PS: Russel, I had posted this apparently as you were posting back to me. Your solution would almost certainly have worked too - installing a fresh JDK - because it would not have had all those files in the extentions folder (unless I put them there before restarting Eclipse!).

[Updated on: Fri, 02 March 2012 16:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #811673 is a reply to message #811645] Fri, 02 March 2012 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3231
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/2/2012 9:35 AM, B J wrote:
> I think it is fixed.
>
> I went back and re-read the proposed solution at bug 318046.
>
> I thought I had followed the directions:
>
> "In our configuration, we require extra jars and for hysterical raisins
> we put
> them in the jre/lib/ext folder (e.g., C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext). I
> removed them, started with a clean Eclipse unzip (important!), and
> --voila--
> success!"
>
> While I deleted them from the: C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\jre\lib\ext folder instead - duh! I also
> re-started as "eclipse -clean", instead of deleting and starting with a
> fresh zip file.
>
> In the end I found that it was the xercesImpl.jar that I had in the ext
> folder that is the culprit. I put all the other files back there and
> indigo still works.
>
> Thanks Russel for you time and attention.
>
> ~Bill

Yeah, I frantically looked through my JDK installation and through
Eclipse looking for the Xerces JAR and couldn't find one myself. So I
was scratching my head.

Glad to help.
icon3.gif  Re: New version 3.7 won't launch [message #988692 is a reply to message #811011] Sat, 01 December 2012 11:40 Go to previous message
Soroosh Taefi is currently offline Soroosh Taefi
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2012
Junior Member
Dear Bill,

I think you have the same problem as I had. I work in an organization which change the default "policy.provider" of JRE in the file:
JAVA_HOME/jre6/lib/security/policy.provider
and in that altered class there wasn't sufficient privileges for some actions(I don't know which eclipse needed and don't have! Maybe the access to use the sax parser service of JAXP or etc.).

I simply got this by checking the log file eclipse generated in the configuration folder, and bellow the irrelevant exceptions such as "SaxParserException" and "InvalidDataFile" in the plugin.osgi. and ... I found an exception which was related to SecurityManager and accessRestriction.

So I rolled back on the default policy.provider which comes with the standard JDK installation, and with this workaround I can use newer versions of eclipse than Ganymede.

Maybe this helps,

Regards,
~Soroosh();
Previous Topic:Maven Archetype Catalog Issues in Juno
Next Topic:Path and Symbols for all MPI C++ projects
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 31 16:42:02 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02395 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software