Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » RCP Application designed with multiple plugins(What is the right way to make an RCP application that is "ready for plugins"? I have struggled to do this basic concept and am trying to accomplish this in Eclipse 3.7 (latest 3.x version).)
RCP Application designed with multiple plugins [message #802853] Mon, 20 February 2012 14:56
Kingsley Webb is currently offline Kingsley WebbFriend
What is the right way to make an RCP application that is "ready for plugins"? I have struggled to do this basic concept and am trying to accomplish this in Eclipse 3.7 (latest 3.x version).

Please help me Smile I have attempted the following 3 steps:

Step 1

I would like to explore this by using 3 eclipse plugin projects:
• HelloWorldRCP
• HelloWorldPluginA
• HelloWorldPluginB

Would it make sense to make HelloWorldRCP with all the common things such as a menu-bar with an Edit menu including cut, copy and paste menu items? The HelloWorldPluginA could add an additional menu-item called "Alpha" and HelloWorldPluginB could add yet another menu-item called "Beta"? However, the cut, copy and paste functionality could still work within Plugin A and B?

Step 2

Next, how do I deploy this as a "product"? I have made a new product configuration and defined the dependencies from the default runtime configuration that was made. I do notice that there are a lot of dependency jars that are included, but I don't think I use them. For example, I don't use data-binding to my knowledge, but it keeps coming up as a required dependency.

I go to Export | Eclipse Product and an executable environment is created in my desired folder. However, when I copy this to another machine it seems to keep referencing the original machines Java installation location. How does one get around this?

I have tried to bundle a jre with the Product Export but nothing is created. I have also just tried copying my jre6 as a jre folder. This does seem to work.

Next problem here is the 32/64 bit Java execution environments. What is advised here? I have been aiming to build on 32 bit only and then hopefully that will run on 32 or 64bit platforms. Is this correct?

Step 3

I need to web-start this now. The old way of initiating an Eclipse 3.5 application, using a startup.jar has changed. I now use the equinox launcher and reference it in the jnlp instead of the startup.jar. However, I keep getting an exception which seems related to the 32/64 bit equinox win32_64 jar. I notice that the export writes a folder and not a jar. I read somewhere that this is a "clever trick" to allow compatibility for both 32 and 64bit runtime environments.

The problem here is that I need a jar and not a folder so that I can sign the jars required and deploy accordingly.

Does anyone have a Java Web-start example for and Eclipse 3.7 RCP application? Or any advice?
Previous Topic:How to get annotations of my workspace ?
Next Topic:Drag project from Navigator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:21:15 GMT 2024