Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » how to run an external tool in a view?(In eclipse, I am trying to embed an external tool build( an external exe) inside a view(tab))
how to run an external tool in a view? [message #798728] Wed, 15 February 2012 02:12 Go to next message
Murat CINAR is currently offline Murat CINARFriend
Hi everyone,

I am trying to write a plugin to eclipse, which basically needs to run an external exe program in a tab in eclipse. as I see, tabs in eclipse are called views. I am able to create my own view, and I am able to create a builder for my external tool as well, when I run it, the external tool fires up, but in its own window, and my view shows up correctly.

What I am trying to do right now is, trying to embed the external tool to run inside of my plug-in's view(tab). Is this possible at all?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Murat.
Re: how to run an external tool in a view? [message #798916 is a reply to message #798728] Wed, 15 February 2012 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
The question can be better answered in the SWT forum. Here are two links which could help you
http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t95593.html
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-ActivexSupportInSwt/index.html
Re: how to run an external tool in a view? [message #803053 is a reply to message #798916] Mon, 20 February 2012 21:40 Go to previous message
Murat CINAR is currently offline Murat CINARFriend
Thank you for your reply.

I tried to do it with SWT. But, I was able to embed a few tools inside eclipse such as MS word, excel and Visio, but all of them were MS propitiatory products. When I tried with Enterprise Architect, which is the tool that I am trying to embed, I got the error : Class ID not found in registry result = -2147221018 . Does anyone know how to solve this, I tried many things but at the end I have been told that I cannot extend this feature if it is not supported by the developers of that tool.
Is there any other way to embed an application inside eclipse using any other technique? I know that the tool that I want to use supports COM and Activex. But, I was not able to convert COM Activex to SWT OLE Activex. I think that is not possible either.
I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Murat.
Previous Topic:How do you change a standard implementation
Next Topic:Open Type & keep position within file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:30:59 GMT 2024