Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal exception during update(Error in updating after adding Help Contents to my RCP Application)
icon9.gif  org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal exception during update [message #798638] Tue, 14 February 2012 23:17 Go to next message
Roshan S. is currently offline Roshan S.Friend
I created an RCP app, and have a p2 build to release and deploy it. I deployed version 1.0.0 of my application with no problems and was able to create my update site so that I can update to versions 1.0.1 and 1.0.2.
Now I added Help contents to my RCP application and I am using the same build process but when I run an update I get the following exception:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=profile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Artifact osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal,3.2.402.r36_v20100702 is a folder but the repository is an archive or remote location.

However, if I go to my update site machine and try a local update or if I build on the same machine and try an update. I am able to update successfully without any problems.

Is there any issue when trying to use a Web update site vs a local directory when you add help?

I searched around and the only information I could find was that my target platform was corrupt, but that can't be true because if I use a local update site I have no problem running the update.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Roshan
Re: org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal exception during update [message #800281 is a reply to message #798638] Thu, 16 February 2012 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roshan S. is currently offline Roshan S.Friend
I still have not figured out what the problem is, I compared the headless build vs. a product export from Eclipse and I get the exact same results.

What I was able to to do is find a workaround. I removed the org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal plugin from my update site and updated the content.xml and artifact.xml. Then I added the Eclipse update site (I'm using Helios right now). When I check for updates and install them, it uses my update site for my plugins and the Eclipse update site for the org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal plugin. This is temporary and I plan to mirror the Eclipse update site onto ours. This is only so I can control exactly which versions get pushed out with updates.
Re: org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal exception during update [message #801473 is a reply to message #798638] Sat, 18 February 2012 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Roshan S. wrote on Tue, 14 February 2012 18:17

However, if I go to my update site machine and try a local update or if I build on the same machine and try an update. I am able to update successfully without any problems.

I'm a bit confused as to situations where your app update works and doesn't work -- your in-app update fails if it tries to update from a web-hosted p2 repo, but works if you try to update from a file: URL repo? Or does the in-app never succeed at all?

If it succeeds on a local file: URL repo, then try hosting your repo using a different web container -- I wonder if the web server is returning an unexpected result code when trying to fetch a particular file.

If not, I think it would help to present more detail about where things work and don't.
Re: org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal exception during update [message #801544 is a reply to message #801473] Sat, 18 February 2012 15:19 Go to previous message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 2012-18-02 13:52, Brian de Alwis wrote:
> Roshan S. wrote on Tue, 14 February 2012 18:17
>> However, if I go to my update site machine and try a local update or
>> if I build on the same machine and try an update. I am able to update
>> successfully without any problems.
>

Some possible explanations:

The remote service responds with the wrong HTTP status.
You are behind a proxy ("bad proxy" or "bad configuration")
You get a broken/corrupt mirror.
You are using anti-virus / firewall software that interferes.

Two simple things to try:
Turn off antivirus and firewall.
Run with p2 mirrors turned off (google for how to do this).

Regards
- henrik
Previous Topic:Strange automagic installation of non-matching patch features
Next Topic:How to hook into p2 install/update process?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:33:05 GMT 2024