Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Modeling interactions between parts through owned ports
Modeling interactions between parts through owned ports [message #786517] Mon, 30 January 2012 14:23
Klaas Gadeyne is currently offline Klaas GadeyneFriend
Dear all,

I am working on a component-based system, where interaction between components always happens through ports. The ports are typed by interfaces. In the interfaces I specify operations.
A component(container) can contain parts, which are typed by other components. The container component thus provides a usage context for its parts. In a sequence diagram I want to zoom-in on some important interactions between the parts.

Concrete example:
I have three components A,B and C, each have one port called activationPort which is typed by the Activation interface.
The Activation interface contains one operation: Step()

Component A contains two parts:
part1 is typed by B
part2 is typed by C

In a sequence diagram I want to model that when the something outside A, calls Step() of A, it will result in first calling Step() of part1 (through its activationPort) and after that calling Step() of part2 (through its activationPort).

It doesn't seem possible, or I don't know how I can elegantly do this within Papyrus:
• I am not seeing abilities to show parts or ports as inner connectable elements on the diagram.
• when I just add a lifeline representing a part (so a lifeline L1 'represents' part1), and I create a synchronous message (call) to that lifeline, then I cannot select an existing element. I would expect that I could select the Step operation of its activationPort.

Btw, when I create a lifeline which represents one of the activationPort's, then I am able to select the Step operation. This method is not fulfilling my needs as from the diagram I cannot see to which part the port belongs to.
Btw, I am using Papyrus distributed within the Topcased 5.1.0 RCP

Attached/below you can find a sequence diagram, created with another tool, which would fulfill my needs.

index.php/fa/6951/0/

Hopefully, my explanation is clear and someone can give me an answer on how to do this within Papyrus.

Kind regards,
Previous Topic:how to apply a custom value (or stereotype?) to a property of another profile stereotype?
Next Topic:papyrus 0.7.4 missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:23:13 GMT 2024