Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Projects mngt organization basis for a newbie Eclipse user(A newbie user of Eclipse, but experimented in project mangement tries to find a good (best) organization for a complex project)
| Projects mngt organization basis for a newbie Eclipse user [message #784782]
||Sat, 28 January 2012 01:05
|| Bernard TREMBLAY
Registered: January 2012
Location: Paris, FRANCE
Presentation for who have time to read and is interested in
Who I am, what I am doing
I am a newbie in using Eclipse, but I red docs and made installation (may not complete for the use).
I am, too, experimented in project management and development.
Nevertheless, the best organization to manage what I am going to describe isn't immediate.
(Sorry if sometimes my English is not accurate but I am French from Paris).
I am not a professional developer but more a project manager, nevertheless I have written near 1,000,000 lines of code myself during last 25 years, for various projects using ten different languages.
I engaged to participate to a great opensource project
Because of convictions, personal interest in concepts, and because I think that I can provide ideas and profitable job, I engaged to participate, now for last two years, to an opensource project quite important (200 developers, 1,300,000 line of code, with 500,000 original ones in php, js, jquery, smarty, and bibs as Zend framework, and so on).
Because of my job I can't follow the rhythm of development of the team. This rhythm should need to work continuously and steadily, that I can't do well, then while the main development is organized quite classically, main versions, one trunk for each main, sequential subversions, branches for some subs going to LTS, for my own I develop enhancements and stabilization of functions staying on a parallel way quite ignored by the others. But I got a lot of unknown because incommunicable results till now.
About the parallelism of the development
I have now near thirty small or larger projects which can be brought on each version in a good coherency.
I observed that quite never any collision had occurred and never any of my projects gone obsolete (the main development was on other functions). So I could easily commit at any moment these developments if I had time to package them completely (for example as there are near twenty styles for GUI, I always develop for typical ones, not for all of them).
I have to maintain operational the capability of others to follow what I am doing, consequently make them able to see quickly and easily the results of my job, even on "old" versions. The ability to graft my projects at the right time of development, is obviously not dependent of me but of the admins.
So I need to optimize the process that I follow last years to earn time to delivered adapted versions of my project and follow my own work (sometime I need time to restart something complex).
Too when a project is delivered, I must be able to share it with others so that the long time maintainability could be possible (as if I was away).
I must be able to compare easily and quickly (check) the current main code which don't contains my projects for each element of code I have changed in previous versions. This means that the check up must be done by project on a total of 400 pieces of code (80,000 lines, someone can be a lib of 10,000 lines of php)
- I have installed a server and sites for each running version. This allow to communicate Urls to look at the whole version and from a header site to point directly each enhancement and compare versions result with same data
- I have installed ECLIPSE (see config)
Then now I look at the way of an organization of my development which could be optimized with ECLIPSE.
After that I wrote such a long text, I feel that, the problem that I develop even critical in my case, meets with common problems of development.
Then the direct answers to the next question is what I am looking for in my first steps of new organization.
Direct question and problem to solve
- A project has is SVN repository and 200 participants, I am one of them and client with work copies.
- From some version I develop my own branches : for a part into a special branch of the main repository, for another locally (too many ones to be into the main repository)
I have thirty projects : they concern near 400 pieces of code (5%)
- Each project generated changes to 1 to 40 pieces of code
- Each project can be seen as a structure of 10 to 100 elementary changes (2 levels structure)
- How to define my projects and link them with six to ten versions of the main project (most of time the other code changes 1/10). Each element of change must be found into six to ten versions : I need to compare and upgrade all concerned pieces, each time a piece of concerned code is changed (new release or current branches)
- How to follow the elements of changes across the moving target which is the main project where my project are not committed ... (I make work copies but never commit, so I have the current versions, five living, to compare with my versions, six, this to be aware of changes coming).
Note : my tools are Eclipse with
- All basic supports of languages used
- all PDT
- MantisBT with Mylyn
- SVN (client, server not installed because of lack of knowledge of behavior with simultaneous use of client and server (for local repositories) I should need for my other projects.
- Zend debugger
- Server with Apache and mysql
I am conscious that the whole subject could be and surely have been treated by development teams (I had the same by past), but with Eclipse I don't know where are the solutions. Some year ago I had to manage teams and such knowledge and organization was coming up from the work of the team, now I feel a little alone on the net. The development partners are inside their project and have no sufficient time to spend to communicate on such problems, in French we say "they have the nose to the grindstone".
I think too that many developers who don't belong to the kernel of the projects meet the same problems that I do.
Thanks to whom will have the courage to read me.
Thanks for help : may be exists documents else than SVN main doc that I begin to well know, but I have not found where ?
Current Time: Fri Sep 22 11:54:50 GMT 2017
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.02759 seconds