Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » War File URL Virgo vs Jetty
War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #783529] Wed, 25 January 2012 22:26 Go to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
All,

I have an war file that works fine in standalone Jetty but with Virgo/Jetty I get a 404 error. All else being equal.

Is there a difference in URLs between Virgo and Jetty when running a web app?

I load the war file, biostage.war, using the Virgo admin screen. It deploys properly.

In my browser: http://hostname:8080/biostage/ I get a 404 Not Found

Do all this with Jetty sans Virgo and it works.

Thanks
Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #783818 is a reply to message #783529] Thu, 26 January 2012 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

Are you using TagLibs at all? If so, I'm afraid they arn't supported on Jetty when running on OSGi yet (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349009). Could you provide some more details, is there anything in the log files? Also, when you say you have it running on Jetty, is this normal Jetty, if so you could try Jetty on plain OSGi to see if the problem is between OSGi and Jetty or Virgo and Jetty.

Chris

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #783882 is a reply to message #783818] Thu, 26 January 2012 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for responding.

"is this normal Jetty"

Yes, this is a B-flat, garden variety Jetty 7. Both Jetty and Virgo/Jetty are on the same machine; different ports.

"Are you using TagLibs at all?"

I am using a framework called Play, which means I am using Play's war file create facility. Play does support it's own tag library, but I would think all that processing happens within the web app and is independent of the OSGi framework.

I might add that I also created a small, ultra simple web app containing a single html page. War it up, deploy it, and it's the same story. It too works on standalone Jetty but not on Virgo/Jetty all else is equal except for the ports.
Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #783895 is a reply to message #783882] Thu, 26 January 2012 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

Would you be able to send me the ultra simple web app so I can debug what is going on? If it's so small that it doesn't have a web.xml I believe Jetty on OSGi also has issues with that. If it's OK to send me the app then could you open a bug and attach it. (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi RT -> Virgo).

Chris.

Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #783907 is a reply to message #783895] Thu, 26 January 2012 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have created a bug report as you requested and attached to it a copy of the war file in question.

Attachment #210137 to bug 369843 created.
Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #784326 is a reply to message #783907] Fri, 27 January 2012 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

That's great, thank you.
I must confess to not reading the title of this thread properly, while Jetty does support War files when running on OSGi by transforming them in to a WAB (Web Application Bundle), which require a programmatic use of Jetty to do the transform before deploying. Virgo doesn't yet detect that a War file is being deployed and do the transformation in to a WAB as it does for Gemini Web. As such you can only deploy WABs on to Virgo-Jetty. It's still good to have the Bugzilla on the books as it means we will get round to sorting this one out sooner. In the mean time I suggest using Virgo-Tomcat as this supports legacy War files and in

Chris.

Re: War File URL Virgo vs Jetty [message #784763 is a reply to message #784326] Sat, 28 January 2012 00:25 Go to previous message
Thank for clearing that up. Looking forward to the fix.

But for now, I would like to try transforming my WAR to a WAB as suggested. Is there any kind of guide as to what I need to do to get a WAB to work on Virgo/Jetty? I've found a few odds and ends on the web but they didn't work.

Thanks
Previous Topic:Class not found mystery
Next Topic:Virgo Repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:36:12 GMT 2024