Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source(HIVE as a datasource for BIRT report)
BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #780839] Thu, 19 January 2012 15:01 Go to next message
Rod MacDonald is currently offline Rod MacDonaldFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: January 2012
Junior Member
I am trying to use HIVE as a datasource for a report. I was seeing the exception
described in a bug report (bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=362714).

So, I upgraded to the latest stable version of the BIRT plugin (3.7.2.v20120117).

My report is now generated, however, all of the columns of type BigDecimal are blank and I don't see any errors in the logs.

Is anyone successfully using HIVE as a datasource?
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #780890 is a reply to message #780839] Thu, 19 January 2012 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Rod,

What does the data type set to in the data set editor? Look at output
columns.

Jason

On 1/19/2012 10:01 AM, Rod MacDonald wrote:
> I am trying to use HIVE as a datasource for a report. I was seeing the
> exception
> described in a bug report (bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=362714).
>
> So, I upgraded to the latest stable version of the BIRT plugin
> (3.7.2.v20120117).
>
> My report is now generated, however, all of the columns of type
> BigDecimal are blank and I don't see any errors in the logs.
>
> Is anyone successfully using HIVE as a datasource?
>
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #780896 is a reply to message #780890] Thu, 19 January 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod MacDonald is currently offline Rod MacDonaldFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: January 2012
Junior Member
The columns are "Decimal".
I have hadoop-hive-0.7.1+42.9-2 installed and running on my cluster.
Thanks,
Rod
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #780899 is a reply to message #780896] Thu, 19 January 2012 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

When you preview the dataset is it returning rows and the one column
just shows empty? Any chance you could deploy the report in a runtime
and set the log level to fine and post the log?

Jason

On 1/19/2012 3:16 PM, Rod MacDonald wrote:
> The columns are "Decimal".
> I have hadoop-hive-0.7.1+42.9-2 installed and running on my cluster.
> Thanks,
> Rod
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #781139 is a reply to message #780899] Fri, 20 January 2012 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod MacDonald is currently offline Rod MacDonaldFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: January 2012
Junior Member
Sorry, the "WARNING: Method not supported" is showing up for getBigDecimal.
The org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ResultSet is being passed a
org.apache.hadoop.hive.jdbc.HiveQueryResultSet, which does not support
getBigDecimal. The "getObject" from HiveQueryResultSet returns a Long.
That appears to be the reason for my empty columns.
By adding the following to the getBigDecimal methods of org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ResultSet I am able to get results:

if (value instanceof Number) {
return new BigDecimal(((Number)value).longValue());
}

Thanks,
Rod
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #781150 is a reply to message #781139] Fri, 20 January 2012 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Rod,

Thanks for the update. Any chance you could put that info in a bugzilla
entry?

Jason

On 1/20/2012 11:52 AM, Rod MacDonald wrote:
> Sorry, the "WARNING: Method not supported" is showing up for getBigDecimal.
> The org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ResultSet is being passed a
> org.apache.hadoop.hive.jdbc.HiveQueryResultSet, which does not support
> getBigDecimal. The "getObject" from HiveQueryResultSet returns a Long.
> That appears to be the reason for my empty columns.
> By adding the following to the getBigDecimal methods of
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ResultSet I am able to get results:
>
> if (value instanceof Number) {
> return new BigDecimal(((Number)value).longValue());
> }
>
> Thanks,
> Rod
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #781156 is a reply to message #781150] Fri, 20 January 2012 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod MacDonald is currently offline Rod MacDonaldFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: January 2012
Junior Member
I create a bug report (bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=369267)
Re: BigDecimal columns not showing up in chart from HIVE source [message #782380 is a reply to message #781156] Mon, 23 January 2012 16:17 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Thanks for posting this.

Jason

On 1/20/2012 1:21 PM, Rod MacDonald wrote:
> I create a bug report (bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=369267)
>
Previous Topic:OSGI platform failing to start
Next Topic:org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: A BIRT exception occurred: Invalid javascript ex
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Dec 19 13:46:07 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02052 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software