Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » [AGR] Information on the Object Mine?
[AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88096] Mon, 20 November 2006 17:26 Go to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
Messages: 448
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello.

I have been trying to locate further information on the Object Mine that
is definable in the Test Cases tab of test suite editors. Can anybody
point me to any, if available?

Also, is the object mine useful for sharing an object across multiple
test macros, instead of having to distribute one and the same object,
with its id etc., to multiple macros?

Finally, is there any way to retrofit the object mine with objects
utilized in pre existing test macros?

TIA,
B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88156 is a reply to message #88096] Tue, 21 November 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holger Machens is currently offline Holger Machens
Messages: 57
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Barbara,


i think the object mine is not exactly what you are searching for.
I found this in the bugzilla a few days ago:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=144763
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/groups/Architecture/documents/fe atures/hf_144763.html


Greetings
Holger



Barbara Rosi-Schwartz schrieb:
> Hello.
>
> I have been trying to locate further information on the Object Mine that
> is definable in the Test Cases tab of test suite editors. Can anybody
> point me to any, if available?
>
> Also, is the object mine useful for sharing an object across multiple
> test macros, instead of having to distribute one and the same object,
> with its id etc., to multiple macros?
>
> Finally, is there any way to retrofit the object mine with objects
> utilized in pre existing test macros?
>
> TIA,
> B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88171 is a reply to message #88156] Tue, 21 November 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
Messages: 448
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Holger.

Thank you very much for your pointers, very useful. Indeed the Object
Mine is what I was looking for.

Does anybody know what the "output" attribute of the <header/> element
means?

Thank you once again.

Tschuess,
B.

Holger Machens wrote:
> Hi Barbara,
>
>
> i think the object mine is not exactly what you are searching for.
> I found this in the bugzilla a few days ago:
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=144763
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/groups/Architecture/documents/fe atures/hf_144763.html
>
>
> Greetings
> Holger
>
>
>
> Barbara Rosi-Schwartz schrieb:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have been trying to locate further information on the Object Mine that
>> is definable in the Test Cases tab of test suite editors. Can anybody
>> point me to any, if available?
>>
>> Also, is the object mine useful for sharing an object across multiple
>> test macros, instead of having to distribute one and the same object,
>> with its id etc., to multiple macros?
>>
>> Finally, is there any way to retrofit the object mine with objects
>> utilized in pre existing test macros?
>>
>> TIA,
>> B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88296 is a reply to message #88096] Tue, 21 November 2006 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 404
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Barbara,

Through practice I have found that object mines are more useful when bounded
to one test suite as opposed to multiple ones. In TPTP 4.3 it is possible
to share one object mine between multiple test suites but it makes debugging
and fixing macros a lot more difficult.

Using an object mine that is bounded to a single test suite is more useful
than using ids in test case macros because it reduces the number of
redundant ids that have to be changed when a macro is broken.

Under the test case page, there is an update toolbar item available that
will allow you to convert your macro from version 0.1 to 1.0 (which uses
object mines).

Thanks,
Ali Mehregani

"Barbara Rosi-Schwartz" <Barbara.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org> wrote in message
news:ejsofq$id5$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> Hello.
>
> I have been trying to locate further information on the Object Mine that
> is definable in the Test Cases tab of test suite editors. Can anybody
> point me to any, if available?
>
> Also, is the object mine useful for sharing an object across multiple test
> macros, instead of having to distribute one and the same object, with its
> id etc., to multiple macros?
>
> Finally, is there any way to retrofit the object mine with objects
> utilized in pre existing test macros?
>
> TIA,
> B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88311 is a reply to message #88171] Tue, 21 November 2006 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 404
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The output attribute determines the object mine that new ids should be
written to. It is used in conjunction with the include element to
centralize the object id of a set of test suites:

For example: If the output of testsuite1 is set to testsuite2 and it also
includes the object mine of testsuite2, then the ids will be centralized in
the object mine of testsuite2.

A web document will shortly be available to describe all this as soon as
TPTP4.3 is released.

"Barbara Rosi-Schwartz" <Barbara.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org> wrote in message
news:ejv40p$kh9$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> Hi Holger.
>
> Thank you very much for your pointers, very useful. Indeed the Object Mine
> is what I was looking for.
>
> Does anybody know what the "output" attribute of the <header/> element
> means?
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> Tschuess,
> B.
>
> Holger Machens wrote:
>> Hi Barbara,
>>
>>
>> i think the object mine is not exactly what you are searching for.
>> I found this in the bugzilla a few days ago:
>>
>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=144763
>> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/groups/Architecture/documents/fe atures/hf_144763.html
>>
>>
>> Greetings
>> Holger
>>
>>
>>
>> Barbara Rosi-Schwartz schrieb:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have been trying to locate further information on the Object Mine that
>>> is definable in the Test Cases tab of test suite editors. Can anybody
>>> point me to any, if available?
>>>
>>> Also, is the object mine useful for sharing an object across multiple
>>> test macros, instead of having to distribute one and the same object,
>>> with its id etc., to multiple macros?
>>>
>>> Finally, is there any way to retrofit the object mine with objects
>>> utilized in pre existing test macros?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88429 is a reply to message #88296] Wed, 22 November 2006 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
Messages: 448
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ali Mehregani wrote:
> Hi Barbara,
>
> Through practice I have found that object mines are more useful when bounded
> to one test suite as opposed to multiple ones. In TPTP 4.3 it is possible
> to share one object mine between multiple test suites but it makes debugging
> and fixing macros a lot more difficult.
>
> Using an object mine that is bounded to a single test suite is more useful
> than using ids in test case macros because it reduces the number of
> redundant ids that have to be changed when a macro is broken.
>
> Under the test case page, there is an update toolbar item available that
> will allow you to convert your macro from version 0.1 to 1.0 (which uses
> object mines).
>
> Thanks,
> Ali Mehregani
>

Thank you very much Ali.

This is exactly the sort of advice I was after. Instinctively I would
have thought that the more abstracting out of common widgets into a
single, all encompassing map would be the desirable way to go, but I
will definitely bow to the expert's opinion!... :-)

Now I also know what the "Update Macro" toolbar button is for.

Only one question left: if for any reason I need to empty out my Object
Mine and start over (f.i. if I have made a mistake in my
widgetResolver.xml), how do I go about that? I know this leaves dangling
references in the test macros that use that mine, but in these "extreme"
cases I would remove the test macros as well. Yesterday I tried going to
the Object Mine's editor and brute force removing the XML. The result
was (and still is!) that, when I click on the Object Mine node in the
Object Mine tree, the editor no longer shows any XML, but the Object
Mine is still populated with elements!...

Finally, slightly off topic but... What is the "Refresh" toolbar button
on the test case page for?

Thanks once again,
B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88444 is a reply to message #88311] Wed, 22 November 2006 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
Messages: 448
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ali Mehregani wrote:
> The output attribute determines the object mine that new ids should be
> written to. It is used in conjunction with the include element to
> centralize the object id of a set of test suites:
>
> For example: If the output of testsuite1 is set to testsuite2 and it also
> includes the object mine of testsuite2, then the ids will be centralized in
> the object mine of testsuite2.
>
> A web document will shortly be available to describe all this as soon as
> TPTP4.3 is released.
>

Thank you Ali. That's clear now.

Awaiting the new document eagerly... ;-)
B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88581 is a reply to message #88429] Thu, 23 November 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 404
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Currently the test suite doesn't delete object mine entries of a test case
when the test case is removed. This is because the entries can be in use by
other test cases in the same test suite or test cases contained in
completely separate test suites.

Your second question answers your first :)
Once the object mine entries are removed manually you can use the refresh
toolbar item to refresh the logical views displayed for test cases and the
object mine of the test suite.


"Barbara Rosi-Schwartz" <Barbara.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org> wrote in message
news:ek1q9u$env$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> Ali Mehregani wrote:
>> Hi Barbara,
>>
>> Through practice I have found that object mines are more useful when
>> bounded to one test suite as opposed to multiple ones. In TPTP 4.3 it is
>> possible to share one object mine between multiple test suites but it
>> makes debugging and fixing macros a lot more difficult.
>>
>> Using an object mine that is bounded to a single test suite is more
>> useful than using ids in test case macros because it reduces the number
>> of redundant ids that have to be changed when a macro is broken.
>>
>> Under the test case page, there is an update toolbar item available that
>> will allow you to convert your macro from version 0.1 to 1.0 (which uses
>> object mines).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ali Mehregani
>>
>
> Thank you very much Ali.
>
> This is exactly the sort of advice I was after. Instinctively I would have
> thought that the more abstracting out of common widgets into a single, all
> encompassing map would be the desirable way to go, but I will definitely
> bow to the expert's opinion!... :-)
>
> Now I also know what the "Update Macro" toolbar button is for.
>
> Only one question left: if for any reason I need to empty out my Object
> Mine and start over (f.i. if I have made a mistake in my
> widgetResolver.xml), how do I go about that? I know this leaves dangling
> references in the test macros that use that mine, but in these "extreme"
> cases I would remove the test macros as well. Yesterday I tried going to
> the Object Mine's editor and brute force removing the XML. The result was
> (and still is!) that, when I click on the Object Mine node in the Object
> Mine tree, the editor no longer shows any XML, but the Object Mine is
> still populated with elements!...
>
> Finally, slightly off topic but... What is the "Refresh" toolbar button on
> the test case page for?
>
> Thanks once again,
> B.
Re: [AGR] Information on the Object Mine? [message #88686 is a reply to message #88581] Fri, 24 November 2006 13:00 Go to previous message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
Messages: 448
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks Ali.

Cheerio,
B.

Ali Mehregani wrote:
> Currently the test suite doesn't delete object mine entries of a test case
> when the test case is removed. This is because the entries can be in use by
> other test cases in the same test suite or test cases contained in
> completely separate test suites.
>
> Your second question answers your first :)
> Once the object mine entries are removed manually you can use the refresh
> toolbar item to refresh the logical views displayed for test cases and the
> object mine of the test suite.
>
>
> "Barbara Rosi-Schwartz" <Barbara.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org> wrote in message
> news:ek1q9u$env$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> Ali Mehregani wrote:
>>> Hi Barbara,
>>>
>>> Through practice I have found that object mines are more useful when
>>> bounded to one test suite as opposed to multiple ones. In TPTP 4.3 it is
>>> possible to share one object mine between multiple test suites but it
>>> makes debugging and fixing macros a lot more difficult.
>>>
>>> Using an object mine that is bounded to a single test suite is more
>>> useful than using ids in test case macros because it reduces the number
>>> of redundant ids that have to be changed when a macro is broken.
>>>
>>> Under the test case page, there is an update toolbar item available that
>>> will allow you to convert your macro from version 0.1 to 1.0 (which uses
>>> object mines).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ali Mehregani
>>>
>> Thank you very much Ali.
>>
>> This is exactly the sort of advice I was after. Instinctively I would have
>> thought that the more abstracting out of common widgets into a single, all
>> encompassing map would be the desirable way to go, but I will definitely
>> bow to the expert's opinion!... :-)
>>
>> Now I also know what the "Update Macro" toolbar button is for.
>>
>> Only one question left: if for any reason I need to empty out my Object
>> Mine and start over (f.i. if I have made a mistake in my
>> widgetResolver.xml), how do I go about that? I know this leaves dangling
>> references in the test macros that use that mine, but in these "extreme"
>> cases I would remove the test macros as well. Yesterday I tried going to
>> the Object Mine's editor and brute force removing the XML. The result was
>> (and still is!) that, when I click on the Object Mine node in the Object
>> Mine tree, the editor no longer shows any XML, but the Object Mine is
>> still populated with elements!...
>>
>> Finally, slightly off topic but... What is the "Refresh" toolbar button on
>> the test case page for?
>>
>> Thanks once again,
>> B.
>
>
Previous Topic:[AGR] Not able to install successfully
Next Topic:error occurred while attempting to resolve the data collectors
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Sep 18 06:06:25 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02592 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software