Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the direc
Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the direc [message #767786] Sun, 18 December 2011 23:16 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi there,

we are currently trying to migrate our RCP application from Eclipse 3.4
to 3.8 SR1 and adding update funtionality via P2.

Our product based on features exports fine and even runs propperly. The
problem is when we try to export the product with "generate metadata
repository" checked. The build fails with the following:

C:\workspaces\indigo_migration_230\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:90:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\workspaces\indigo_migration_230\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:681:
C:\Eclipse_RCP_Indigo_SR1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.7.0.v20110512-1320\scripts\genericTargets.xml:241:
A problem occured while invoking the director.

Stacktrace:
-----------
C:\workspaces\indigo_migration_230\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:90:
C:\workspaces\indigo_migration_230\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:681:
C:\Eclipse_RCP_Indigo_SR1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.7.0.v20110512-1320\scripts\genericTargets.xml:241:
at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:551)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:444)
at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.CallTarget.execute(CallTarget.java:105)
at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor557.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:390)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)
at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1399)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1368)
at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.core.ant.EclipseDefaultExecutor.executeTargets(EclipseDefaultExecutor.java:32)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1251)
at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.core.ant.InternalAntRunner.run(InternalAntRunner.java:663)
at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.core.ant.InternalAntRunner.run(InternalAntRunner.java:496)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ant.core.AntRunner.run(AntRunner.java:378)
at
org.eclipse.pde.internal.core.exports.FeatureExportOperation.runScript(FeatureExportOperation.java:424)
at
org.eclipse.pde.internal.core.exports.FeatureExportOperation.doExport(FeatureExportOperation.java:287)
at
org.eclipse.pde.internal.core.exports.ProductExportOperation.run(ProductExportOperation.java:106)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
Caused by:
at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:551)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:444)
at
at
at
at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:38)
at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.core.ant.EclipseSingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(EclipseSingleCheckExecutor.java:30)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:442)
.... 25 more
Caused by:
at
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.app.ant.DirectorTask.execute(DirectorTask.java:88)
at
at
at
at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:38)
at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.core.ant.EclipseSingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(EclipseSingleCheckExecutor.java:30)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:442)
.... 38 more

Googling the problem just led me to some entries at pastebin.com and an
open exchange between Daniel Megert and Kim Moir at
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-releng-dev/msg18813.html

An trainer encouraged us to ask for help in the newsgroups and here we are.
Any help is welcome.

Kind regard,

Max
Re: Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the d [message #778196 is a reply to message #767786] Wed, 11 January 2012 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Emmerling is currently offline M. EmmerlingFriend
Hi again,

though I still haven't found any solution to the problem posted previously, I found another Message from Kim Moir at the releng mailing list
dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-releng-dev/msg19389.html

Unfortunatly it isn't clear to me how she infers the unsatisfied dependency of the Jetty thing from the 'problem occured while invoking the director'-message I've also got.

Could someone please point me on what I am missing?

Kind regards,

Max
Re: Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the d [message #778225 is a reply to message #778196] Wed, 11 January 2012 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Moir is currently offline Kim MoirFriend
In response to the email you sent me.

Dear Mrs Moir

I hope I have taken your "Private Emails Hide the Details" blog entry to heart correctly.

Since our research was not yet successful and your mail on the mailing list makes me feel like this guy http://xkcd.com/979/ , please let me draw your attention on my posting in the Eclipse forums:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/267832/

Is there a chance you could have a look and maybe respond to this?

Best regards,

M. Emmerling

--
Hi

Thanks for sending me a link to this and and xkcd comic. I'm a big sucker for xkcd comics, so it certainly made me go look at your link. Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time deep in the bowels of bugzilla so I don't have time to look at the forums that often. In the future, please call me Kim versus Mrs. Moir. I didn't change my last name when I got married, Mrs. Moir is my Mom to me Smile We're pretty casual at Eclipse, some may say we're like family.

Anyways, regarding your p2 question. Are you running the director from within eclipse or via an Ant call? Usually, a problem invoking the p2 director means that the dependencies that you're trying to provision don't exist in the repo that you are installing from. If you are running the director call from the command line via Ant in a build, it should generate a log when the director call fails. If you look at this log, you'll see something like cannot resolve dependencies etc. which should point you to the problem.

Re: Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the d [message #778304 is a reply to message #778225] Thu, 12 January 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Emmerling is currently offline M. EmmerlingFriend
Kim Moir wrote on Wed, 11 January 2012 20:18

In the future, please call me Kim versus Mrs. Moir. I didn't change my last name when I got married, Mrs. Moir is my Mom to me Smile We're pretty casual at Eclipse, some may say we're like family.

Since this is my first time to get in contact with the Eclipse community I thought a more formal style would be more polite. So thank you very much for your candid response Smile

Kim Moir wrote on Wed, 11 January 2012 20:18

Anyways, regarding your p2 question. Are you running the director from within eclipse or via an Ant call? Usually, a problem invoking the p2 director means that the dependencies that you're trying to provision don't exist in the repo that you are installing from. If you are running the director call from the command line via Ant in a build, it should generate a log when the director call fails. If you look at this log, you'll see something like cannot resolve dependencies etc. which should point you to the problem.

We are running the director from within Eclipse (the products export wizard).
Though our Ant skills are virtually non-existent, I managed to create a very simple build.xml with the help of Lars Vogels tutorials.
As a result I could fix several unresolved dependencies, but I'm still struggling with some javac errors regarding some unresolved types in javax.crypto (we bundle our product with a bouncy castle patched jre) Confused

Thank you for giving me some pointers in the right direction.

Max

Re: Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the d [message #1815235 is a reply to message #778304] Fri, 27 September 2019 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario Marinato is currently offline Mario MarinatoFriend
My, oh my, Max!

When you say that you "managed to create a very simple build.xml with the help of Lars Vogels tutorials," you leave me feeling like the guy on xkcd comic! :o)

Would you kindly share your discoveries? We're facing the same problem here.

Mário Marinato
From Brazil
Re: Export: Generate metadata repository fails with "A problem occured while invoking the d [message #1816770 is a reply to message #1815235] Wed, 06 November 2019 14:32 Go to previous message
Mario Marinato is currently offline Mario MarinatoFriend
We were facing a similar problem when trying to export an Eclipse RCP product, getting an error just like the one first reported:

Things started to get clearer when I edited the genericTargets.xml file, adding the following line on the <target name="runDirector" > section:

<record name="c:/users/myUserName/desktop/build.log" loglevel="verbose" append="false"/>

After this change, a build.log file was written on my desktop when I tried to export my product. This file showed had the information that some plugins were missing from our product, but this dependency was not being warned inside Eclipse.

Mário Marinato
From Brazil
Previous Topic:How to retrieve more info from the p2 reconciler process?
Next Topic:Wrong bundle loaded after update on macosx
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:53:47 GMT 2024