Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE?
Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE? [message #762238] Wed, 07 December 2011 18:48 Go to next message
toplite is currently offline topliteFriend
I'm new to Java and Eclipse. I've just downloaded Eclipse Indigo to use with OSX Lion.

The app I'd like to create will have a very minimalist GUI. I need a black fullscreen (no menubar, scrolling, resizing, just a black screen). Within this space I need to dynamically create and arrange clickable buttons that are simply colored rectangles with text labels inside them. I will also need text input boxes that are as basic as a form field in html.

I don't need anything fancier, nor do I need a graphical layout builder. I'd prefer to do it all with code, with the most lightweight (as in CPU usage) method possible.

Does Eclipse come with what I need out of the box? Or do I need one of these Swing/AWT/SWT addons? Thanks for your help.
Re: Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE? [message #762272 is a reply to message #762238] Wed, 07 December 2011 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 12/8/2011 12:18 AM, toplite wrote:
> I'm new to Java and Eclipse. I've just downloaded Eclipse Indigo to use
> with OSX Lion.
>
> The app I'd like to create will have a very minimalist GUI. I need a
> black fullscreen (no menubar, scrolling, resizing, just a black screen).
> Within this space I need to dynamically create and arrange clickable
> buttons that are simply colored rectangles with text labels inside them.
> I will also need text input boxes that are as basic as a form field in
> html.
>
> I don't need anything fancier, nor do I need a graphical layout builder.
> I'd prefer to do it all with code, with the most lightweight (as in CPU
> usage) method possible.
>
> Does Eclipse come with what I need out of the box? Or do I need one of
> these Swing/AWT/SWT addons? Thanks for your help.

SWT is part of every Eclipse package, so you are good to go ! :-)

--
Deepak Azad
http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT/FAQ
Re: Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE? [message #762308 is a reply to message #762272] Wed, 07 December 2011 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toplite is currently offline topliteFriend
I installed Eclipse Indigo and tried to go through the hello world SWT tutorial, but it appears SWT is not installed. This is all so confusing.
Re: Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE? [message #762495 is a reply to message #762308] Thu, 08 December 2011 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 12/8/2011 2:52 AM, toplite wrote:
> I installed Eclipse Indigo and tried to go through the hello world SWT
> tutorial, but it appears SWT is not installed. This is all so confusing.

Well, Eclipse runs on SWT so SWT is installed for sure! However, if you
face a problem with SWT tutorial please post a question on SWT forums.

--
Deepak Azad
http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT/FAQ
Re: Minimalist GUI, do I need to add anything to Eclipse IDE? [message #762754 is a reply to message #762495] Thu, 08 December 2011 15:25 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Swing, AWT, and SWT are all separate widget toolkits written in Java. You will have to pick which one you want to use. Swing and AWT are related in that Swing extends features of AWT. Swing would be the prefered toolkit between the two. Both are included in any JDK since they are a required part of the language spec. SWT is a separate toolkit developed when Swing was in its infancy. Eclipse is developed on SWT so it includes the runtime. However, you have to perform some setup steps to include it in a project. Swing is available in any Java project you create in Eclipse.

You will have to look at each toolkit and decide for yourself which one is appropriate.
Previous Topic:Help with Java code formatter
Next Topic:Indigo Problems View is Empty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:32:00 GMT 2024