Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » BIRT without Jetty(Jetty causes 500 internal server. Is it possible to run without Jetty)
BIRT without Jetty [message #760837] Mon, 05 December 2011 12:24 Go to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
Messages: 28
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Is it possible to use BIRT without Jetty?

The Jetty http server looks a bit buggy. On my laptop the Jetty server will only return 500 internal servers. It did work at one time but after installing multiple Eclipse based products it will except on very rare occasion do only 500 errors.

If it cannot be used without Jetty I think I will have to reset my laptop with a new Windows 7 image to get it to work again Sad

Re: BIRT without Jetty [message #760992 is a reply to message #760837] Mon, 05 December 2011 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Do you mean it is only returning 500 rows? Because that is a setting
you can alter. Look at Window->preferences->Report
Design->Preview->Data Number of rows to display.

Jason

On 12/5/2011 7:24 AM, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> Is it possible to use BIRT without Jetty?
>
> The Jetty http server looks a bit buggy. On my laptop the Jetty server
> will only return 500 internal servers. It did work at one time but after
> installing multiple Eclipse based products it will except on very rare
> occasion do only 500 errors.
> If it cannot be used without Jetty I think I will have to reset my
> laptop with a new Windows 7 image to get it to work again :(
>
>
Re: BIRT without Jetty [message #762073 is a reply to message #760992] Wed, 07 December 2011 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
Messages: 28
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I mean 500 http response code. Which indicates an internal server error.

Initially I thought my laptop configuration was the problem but now I'm looking at these errors on a brand new laptop. Got the latop today. Fresh Windows 7 installation and then install of Rational Method Composer which includes

Quote:
Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools
Version: 2.5.2.v20090925-9dE-9CGJexwJPcfpfqGkK_4lg9Ti
Build id: v20100210-0630
(c) Copyright Eclipse contributors and others 2000, 2007. All rights reserved.
Visit http://www.eclipse.org/birt


Incredible that this is just not working. I'm flabbergasted. Looks like my first BIRT experience will include debugging BIRT/Jetty!
Re: BIRT without Jetty [message #762240 is a reply to message #762073] Wed, 07 December 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Eclipse uses jetty for the help system. Is that launching?
Can you download the 2.5.2 birt allinone download in a separate location
and give it a try as a test?
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/birt/downloads/drops/R-R1-2_5_2-201002221500/birt-report-designer-all-in-one-2_5_2.zip

Jason

On 12/7/2011 9:09 AM, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> I mean 500 http response code. Which indicates an internal server error.
>
> Initially I thought my laptop configuration was the problem but now I'm
> looking at these errors on a brand new laptop. Got the latop today.
> Fresh Windows 7 installation and then install of Rational Method
> Composer which includes
> Quote:
>> Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools
>> Version: 2.5.2.v20090925-9dE-9CGJexwJPcfpfqGkK_4lg9Ti
>> Build id: v20100210-0630
>> (c) Copyright Eclipse contributors and others 2000, 2007. All rights
>> reserved.
>> Visit http://www.eclipse.org/birt
>
>
> Incredible that this is just not working. I'm flabbergasted. Looks like
> my first BIRT experience will include debugging BIRT/Jetty!
Re: BIRT without Jetty [message #762527 is a reply to message #762240] Thu, 08 December 2011 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
Messages: 28
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I found a workaround.

Because BIRT/Jetty don't provide any real clue to what is going wrong I tried to get some more information.
First I changed my shortcut
"C:\Program Files_IBM\RMC75\rmc\rmc.exe" -console -consoleLog. 


I also changed eclipse.ini. I added
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log="org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog" 


I'm not sure that is correct, but that is what I did and then I was able to see some more information. Unfortunately not anything related to Jetty. But I did see some vague Eclipse messages about proxy host and port. That something was not able to set these correctly. I did specify this under preferences menu, my work network uses a proxy server.

So I started to suspect that this problem has something to do with the network, specifically the presence of a proxy server on the network. I tried various settings for the proxy server in Eclipse (direct, native, manual) but no avail. What does help is to disconnect the computer from the network. After I remove the network cable it works Shocked


Re: BIRT without Jetty [message #762921 is a reply to message #762527] Thu, 08 December 2011 20:13 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Is the Preview server host and port set in (By default I believe it uses
local host):
Window->Preferences->Report Design->Preview->Preview Server

Jason


On 12/8/2011 3:48 AM, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> I found a workaround.
> Because BIRT/Jetty don't provide any real clue to what is going wrong I
> tried to get some more information.
> First I changed my shortcut "C:\Program Files_IBM\RMC75\rmc\rmc.exe"
> -console -consoleLog.
> I also changed eclipse.ini. I added
> -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log="org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog"
>
> I'm not sure that is correct, but that is what I did and then I was able
> to see some more information. Unfortunately not anything related to
> Jetty. But I did see some vague Eclipse messages about proxy host and
> port. That something was not able to set these correctly. I did specify
> this under preferences menu, my work network uses a proxy server.
>
> So I started to suspect that this problem has something to do with the
> network, specifically the presence of a proxy server on the network. I
> tried various settings for the proxy server in Eclipse (direct, native,
> manual) but no avail. What does help is to disconnect the computer from
> the network. After I remove the network cable it works 8o
>
>
Previous Topic:last row in the report
Next Topic:Flash with Eclipse BIRT
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 05:41:05 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01802 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software