Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Overlapping Connections(Making the user realize about overlapped Connections)
Overlapping Connections [message #760671] Sun, 04 December 2011 04:46 Go to next message
Maqsood Ahmed is currently offline Maqsood AhmedFriend
Hello all,

In my diagram there are a lot of connections, some of them start and end at same anchors(Fixed Point), also they have the same bend points locations.

Problem: Is there any way in which the user can know that there are overlapped connections? On mouse hover i couldn't find any solution because these connections are
drawn one after another , in the end after drawing some 100+ connections i will not know which are the ones overlapping in the diagram.

The user expects some expand icon on the overlapped connections , if any, and then when he clicks that icon, all the overlapped connections are separated out.

As a alternative i have provided properties tab details, where on selection of any connection, all the overlapped connections are populated in a table.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks
Mak
Re: Overlapping Connections [message #760776 is a reply to message #760671] Mon, 05 December 2011 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Without knowing any details about the domain, would it be possible instead
of showing all the connections inside the diagram to represent such a bundle
of connections just as one line in the diagram? There could be a decorator
showing how many connection really exist. Showing 100+ connections between 2
objects seem a little overkill to me...

Michael
Re: Overlapping Connections [message #760812 is a reply to message #760776] Mon, 05 December 2011 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maqsood Ahmed is currently offline Maqsood AhmedFriend
Hmmm I think I didn't put it clearly.

Ofcourse i do have the domain model filled (EMF model). But my rendering logic is such that it reads the model and renders on the diagram ,in the course it renders 100 connections (not b/w same 2 objects) but few overlapping connections for each pair of objects. How can i make the user realize that there are overlapped connections?
I can simply put decorators while adding every new line. but only to increase complexity in the diagram.

Tooltip is a good option to show such information. How can i get the control to do the processing and show the number of overlapped lines on tooltip/mouse-over ?

Re: Overlapping Connections [message #762616 is a reply to message #760812] Thu, 08 December 2011 11:50 Go to previous message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
You can defines tooltips by simply returning them in the method getTooltip
of your tool behavior provider for the graphics algorithm of your
connections.

Michael
Previous Topic:IPictogramElementDelegate & AdvancedPropertySection
Next Topic:Copy & paste non-EMF business objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:54:21 GMT 2024