Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Data Perspective and others missing(Installed for EDT but missing Data Perspectives)
Data Perspective and others missing [message #760277] Thu, 01 December 2011 18:19 Go to next message
Bob NIcholson is currently offline Bob NIcholsonFriend
I seem to be missing a lot of perspectives in the IDE for EDT. Data Perspective in particular. (14 perspectives in indigo with EDT vs 21 perspectives in RBD).

New to the EDT project. Expected this to look similar to RBD, but after downloading eclipse Indigo for java developers, it seems to be missing the perspectives. I downloaded the IDE from the link on the home page for the EDT project and followed the instructions there. At least I think I did.

"To install EDT:

Download the IDE for for Java EE Developers package of Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) or Eclipse 3.6 (Helios) and unzip it to the directory of your choice.
Run eclipse.exe to start the IDE.
From the Help menu, select Install New Software..."
In the Install wizard:
Enter the Update Site URL in the Work With combo box, and click Add.
Select the EDT features you want install and click Next.
Accept the license agreement, and click Finish.

You should now be able to create EGL projects."

Version: Indigo Service Release 1
Build id: 20110916-0149

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 18:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760284 is a reply to message #760277] Thu, 01 December 2011 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Bob, I've got both the Database Debug and Database Development perspectives, but am also missing the Data perspective. I know that EDT is not a drop-in replacement for RBD, but it would be good to know which perspectives have been removed.
Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760286 is a reply to message #760284] Thu, 01 December 2011 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, Joe

Attached are the two lists of perspectives available. The longer one is from RBD. My problem is that I don't know what I should do to get them installed. I could mess around for awhile trying to download features or such. I'm just afraid of messing it all up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 19:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760292 is a reply to message #760286] Thu, 01 December 2011 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Bob,

Did you install Eclipse for Java Developers, or the Eclipse for JEE Developers?

You should use the Eclipse for JEE Developers, which appears below the Eclipse for Java Developers here - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

-Brian
Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760296 is a reply to message #760286] Thu, 01 December 2011 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Installed into Indigo for Java EE, here are the differences between my list and your list:

N Console UI Player
N Data
N Eclipse Provisioning
Y Java EE
N Modeling
Y Planning
N Provisioning
Y Remote Systems Explorer
N Report Design

A perspective with "N" is one you have that I don't, while a perspective with Y is one I have that you don't. Someone can perhaps tell us the cause of the differences. I'm not too worried about most of them; I've never used the Eclipse Prrovisioning perspective, as an example. But I do think you need to install into the Java EE version; that will make a big difference.
Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760310 is a reply to message #760292] Thu, 01 December 2011 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks to you both Joe and Brian.

I downloaded the Eclipse for JEE Developers version and now I have more perspectives.

Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #760313 is a reply to message #760310] Thu, 01 December 2011 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Spadea is currently offline Justin SpadeaFriend
RBD contained some perspectives that were contributed by other IBM products that get shipped with RBD, such as perspectives for modeling. I believe the Data perspective is IBM-specific, and Eclipse has its own Database Development and Database Debug perspectives.

Report Design sounds like it might be BIRT-related, which doesn't come with the Eclipse JEE package.
Re: Data Perspective and others missing [message #762952 is a reply to message #760313] Thu, 08 December 2011 21:24 Go to previous message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Bob,
As you probably discovered, there are multiple eclipse packages with similar names but different features. EDT requires the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers. You can use Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) or Eclipse 3.6 (Helios).

Another way to get EDT is to download the All-in-one build which contains Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers AND EDT in a single download. Just unzip and go!

Theresa

Previous Topic:Unable to see EGL Web Project
Next Topic:Payment File Maintenance Tutorial Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:11:40 GMT 2024