Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to install Eclipse?(Can't find instructions for the main install of Eclipse)
How to install Eclipse? [message #760010] Wed, 30 November 2011 22:38 Go to next message
Kevin Schmidt is currently offline Kevin SchmidtFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
I searched both the Eclipse main website and the forum and I cannot find the instructions on how to do the main install.

After opening the zipped Eclipse download, all I see are files.

So how do I install Eclipse?

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2011 22:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #760012 is a reply to message #760010] Wed, 30 November 2011 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
There's no installation. If you unzipped it you should see an
eclipse.exe which launches Eclipse.

Tom

Am 30.11.11 23:38, schrieb Kevin Schmidt:
> I searched both Eclipse and the forum and I cannot find the instructions
> on how to do the main install.
>
> After opening the zipped Eclipse download, all I see are files.
>
> So how do I install Eclipse?
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #760014 is a reply to message #760010] Wed, 30 November 2011 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3268
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 30-Nov-11 15:38, Kevin Schmidt wrote:
> I searched both Eclipse and the forum and I cannot find the instructions
> on how to do the main install.
>
> After opening the zipped Eclipse download, all I see are files.
>
> So how do I install Eclipse?

It's both easier (as noted in the other answer so far) and harder than
you think. You more or less need to (read: should) also change your
eclipse.ini. Consider the following summary. Your mileage may vary
depending on what you wish to use Eclipse to do.


http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/eclipse-summary.html
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #760755 is a reply to message #760014] Mon, 05 December 2011 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
markpouncey  is currently offline markpouncey Friend
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2011
Junior Member
Howdy-- thanks for the links, etc. && that's all good, thing is-- for folks ( like me && the guy above who started this discussion ) who are trying to get into the loop with this-- we need clear cut instructions that will work-- not just euphamisms to "change you eclipse.ini" etc-- or precise instructions on where to go to obtain that info-- specific to our OS && Dev set-up.
Programmers in general are bad about not writing understandable documentation, spelling & typos, etc. thinking it is "someone else's job" but if new-bies cannot get up to speed on the software-- it hurts the community as a whole.
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #760902 is a reply to message #760755] Mon, 05 December 2011 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3268
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 04-Dec-11 23:16, markpouncey wrote:
> Howdy-- thanks for the links, etc. && that's all good, thing is-- for
> folks ( like me && the guy above who started this discussion ) who are
> trying to get into the loop with this-- we need clear cut instructions
> that will work-- not just euphamisms to "change you eclipse.ini" etc--
> or precise instructions on where to go to obtain that info-- specific to
> our OS && Dev set-up. Programmers in general are bad about not writing
> understandable documentation, spelling & typos, etc. thinking it is
> "someone else's job" but if new-bies cannot get up to speed on the
> software-- it hurts the community as a whole.

And so you got them in the link I just sent. You could also have perused
Eclipse documentation, the Eclipsepedia, etc. yourself. For example, the
subject of this thread typed into Google got me a wealth of information
on the topic. Therefore, the first thing new-bies really need to get up
to speed on is typing something into Google.
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #761092 is a reply to message #760902] Mon, 05 December 2011 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Schmidt is currently offline Kevin SchmidtFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
Russell, The first thing you really need to do is reread Mark's request, which was very reasonable and logical, so I don't understand your remark.

If there was an easy to find link on the home page, then we newbies would not have to go on a fishing expedition just to find critical information.

Other open source software websites provide easy to find and use documentation for beginners. Why can't Eclipse do the same?

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2011 22:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #761118 is a reply to message #761092] Mon, 05 December 2011 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3268
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 05-Dec-11 15:02, Kevin Schmidt wrote:
> Russell, The first thing you really need to do is reread Mark's request,
> which was very reasonable and logical, so I don't understand your remark.
>
> If there was an easy to find link on the home page, then we newbies
> would not have to go on a fishing expedition just to find critical
> information.
>
> Other open source software websites provides easy to use users manuals.
> Why can't Eclipse do the same?

I went to eclipse.org, I clicked the Eclipse Wiki icon, second one in
from the extreme upper-right corner of the page. Down the right-hand
column labeled FAQs of the resulting page, I clicked "The Official
Eclipse FAQs". On that next page, I see in the table of contents stuff
like Getting Started, Java Development in Eclipse, etc. Clicking Getting
Started, I see "Where do I get and install Eclipse?", "How do I run
Eclipse?", "Where do I get help?", etc.

I'm having a very hard time seeing how this situation is somehow more
needful or less competent than these other open source websites (you
don't name). Maybe the terminology chosen by Eclipse isn't liked?

There is an option to open an issue in Bugzilla (fifth icon in from the
extreme, upper-right). Perhaps you could suggest different terminology
there?
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #761210 is a reply to message #761118] Tue, 06 December 2011 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Messages: 1352
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/05/2011 05:17 PM, Russell Bateman wrote:
> On 05-Dec-11 15:02, Kevin Schmidt wrote:
>> Russell, The first thing you really need to do is reread Mark's request,
>> which was very reasonable and logical, so I don't understand your remark.
>>
>> If there was an easy to find link on the home page, then we newbies
>> would not have to go on a fishing expedition just to find critical
>> information.
>>
>> Other open source software websites provides easy to use users manuals.
>> Why can't Eclipse do the same?
>
> I went to eclipse.org, I clicked the Eclipse Wiki icon, second one in
> from the extreme upper-right corner of the page. Down the right-hand
> column labeled FAQs of the resulting page, I clicked "The Official
> Eclipse FAQs". On that next page, I see in the table of contents stuff
> like Getting Started, Java Development in Eclipse, etc. Clicking Getting
> Started, I see "Where do I get and install Eclipse?", "How do I run
> Eclipse?", "Where do I get help?", etc.
>
> I'm having a very hard time seeing how this situation is somehow more
> needful or less competent than these other open source websites (you
> don't name). Maybe the terminology chosen by Eclipse isn't liked?
>
> There is an option to open an issue in Bugzilla (fifth icon in from the
> extreme, upper-right). Perhaps you could suggest different terminology
> there?
The Eclipse Download page also has an Installing Eclipse section with
links that explain how to get Eclipse running.
Re: How to install Eclipse? [message #761560 is a reply to message #761092] Tue, 06 December 2011 16:49 Go to previous message
Eclipse Webmaster is currently offline Eclipse WebmasterFriend
Messages: 539700
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/05/2011 05:02 PM, Kevin Schmidt wrote:
> If there was an easy to find link on the home page, then we newbies
> would not have to go on a fishing expedition just to find critical
> information.

Our home page used to have a "New To Eclipse?" button that was
center-stage on the Eclipse.org home page. That button seems to have
disappeared, and I will investigate why.

In the meanwhile, the home page does have a "Documentation" link, and
I've added the "New to Eclipse?" link there.

If there is anything else we can do to make it easier for newcomers to
start, please let me know.

Denis
Previous Topic:Eclipse errors with GWT plugin and clearcase plugin
Next Topic:Connectivity Issues when installing plugins
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Dec 21 06:27:46 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01743 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software