Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Null pointer exception while genrating reports(Reg:Null pointer exception while genrating reports)
Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #759833] Wed, 30 November 2011 04:15 Go to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
Hi,

While running 2 reports parallely using BIRT3.7 we are getting below exception and reports are erroring out.Please find the document attached for exception.

Environment in which our reports:

Operating System:Linux
JDK:jdk1.5
Database:oracle 10g
BIRT 3.7
Application Server:Weblogic 10

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this exception?


Thanks,
KKP

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2011 04:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #759971 is a reply to message #759833] Wed, 30 November 2011 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Are both reports running to the same rptdocument?

Jason

On 11/30/2011 4:16 AM, kkp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While running 2 reports parallely we are getting below exception and reports are erroring out.Please find the document attached for exception.
>
> Enviroment for our reports:
>
> Linux
> jdk1.5
> oracle 10g
> BIRT 3.7
>
> Any thoughts on how to get rid of this exception?
>
>
> Thanks,
> KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760037 is a reply to message #759971] Wed, 30 November 2011 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
hi,

We running to different rptdocuments.

Please advise if any configurations need to be set on server?


Thanks,
KKp
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760193 is a reply to message #760037] Thu, 01 December 2011 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Can you post the code you are using?

Jason

On 11/30/2011 11:15 PM, kkp wrote:
> hi,
>
> We running to different rptdocuments.
>
> Please advise if any configurations need to be set on server?
>
>
> Thanks,
> KKp
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760196 is a reply to message #760193] Thu, 01 December 2011 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
Jason,

Which code u are referring to?Could you please clarify.

Thanks,
KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760222 is a reply to message #760196] Thu, 01 December 2011 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Are you running this with the WebViewer or some code that uses the RE
API? If you are using the RE API can you post the code you are using?

Jason

On 12/1/2011 10:15 AM, kkp wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Which code u are referring to?Could you please clarify.
>
> Thanks,
> KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760238 is a reply to message #760222] Thu, 01 December 2011 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member


Jason

We are using RE API and below is the code:
EngineConfig config = new EngineConfig();
config.setResourcePath(birtProperties.getBirtResources(key));
config.getAppContext().put(EngineConstants.WEBAPP_CLASSPATH_KEY,classPathString);
config.setTempDir(birtProperties.getTempCacheDirectory(tmp));

For generating report:

IReportRunnable design = birtReportEngine.openReportDesign(reportName);
task = birtReportEngine.createRunTask(design);
task.run(rptDocumentName);
task.close();

Pleased suggest if any more info is needed and improvements for better performance.

Thanks,
KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760262 is a reply to message #760238] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

How are you getting the report engine? Are calls to it synchronized?
How do you name the rptdocument?

On 12/1/2011 11:49 AM, kkp wrote:
>
>
> Jason
>
> We are using RE API and below is the code:
> EngineConfig config = new EngineConfig();
> config.setResourcePath(birtProperties.getBirtResources(key));
> config.getAppContext().put(EngineConstants.WEBAPP_CLASSPATH_KEY,classPathString);
>
> config.setTempDir(birtProperties.getTempCacheDirectory(tmp));
>
> For generating report:
>
> IReportRunnable design = birtReportEngine.openReportDesign(reportName);
> task = birtReportEngine.createRunTask(design);
> task.run(rptDocumentName);
> task.close();
>
> Pleased suggest if any more info is needed and improvements for better
> performance.
>
> Thanks,
> KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760270 is a reply to message #760262] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
This is how ReportEngine is defined:

public static synchronized IReportEngine getBirtEngine() {
IReportEngine birtEngine = null;
EngineConfig config = new EngineConfig();
config.setResourcePath(birtProperties.getBirtResources(key));
config.getAppContext().put(EngineConstants.WEBAPP_CLASSPATH_KEY,classPathString);
config.setTempDir(birtProperties.getTempCacheDirectory(tmp));
IReportEngineFactory factory = (IReportEngineFactory) Platform .createFactoryObject(IReportEngineFactory.EXTENSION_REPORT_ENGINE_FACTORY);
birtEngine = factory.createReportEngine(config);
return birtEngine;}


and this is how rptdocument is named:

// calls above defined method.
IReportEngine birtReportEngine = ReportEngine.getBirtEngine();
String reportName = birtProperties.getBirtResources(ceoAppId) + File.separator + jobBo.getReportName();
reportLogger.info("reportName : " + reportName);
IReportRunnable design = birtReportEngine.openReportDesign(reportName);
task = birtReportEngine.createRunTask(design);
task.run(rptDocumentName);


rptDocumet wld be same as rptdesign except for the sequence attached to it at the end.
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760511 is a reply to message #760270] Fri, 02 December 2011 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
Jason,

Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #760538 is a reply to message #760511] Fri, 02 December 2011 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

I am not sure what is happening. It would be good if I could reproduce
the issue. BTW are you wrapping the engine creation in a synchronized
call. Look at:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Servlet_Example_%28BIRT%29_2.1

It is an older example but creates only one instance of the engine and
that creation is synchronized.

Jason

On 12/2/2011 11:14 AM, kkp wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue.
>
> Thanks,
> KKP
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #761492 is a reply to message #760538] Tue, 06 December 2011 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
Jason,

Yes the engine creation is wrapped in a synchronized call. Each time we run more than 5 reports parallely we are getting the error and had to bounce the server.

Thanks,
KKP


Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #761577 is a reply to message #761492] Tue, 06 December 2011 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Can you open a bugzilla entry on this? I can not reproduce the issue.

Jason

On 12/6/2011 9:48 AM, kkp wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Yes the engine creation is wrapped in a synchronized call. Each time we
> run more than 5 reports parallely we are getting the error and had to
> bounce the server.
>
> Thanks,
> KKP
>
>
>
Re: Null pointer exception while genrating reports [message #763216 is a reply to message #761577] Fri, 09 December 2011 06:11 Go to previous message
harip kaligo is currently offline harip kaligo
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2011
Member
Jason,

We found that the issue is not from BIRT but from our code that uses JMS


Thanks,
KKP
Previous Topic:Flash with Eclipse BIRT
Next Topic:apply or remove styles dynamically at runtime
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Aug 23 13:39:58 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.04016 seconds