Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » [Epsilon] Complete Beginner: Is this possible?
[Epsilon] Complete Beginner: Is this possible? [message #755375] Tue, 08 November 2011 05:05 Go to next message
366409 is currently offline 366409
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
Hi all,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to Epsilon (or in fact the field of meta-modeling, model transformations etc). My question is, I have created a GMF editor from one Ecore model, and have another Ecore model for some text based language that is generated by the GMF editor. Is it possible to verify links between these two models using Epsilon?

For example, If I create 3 elements of a one type in my GMF editor, then I would like to ensure that these 3 elements appear in the text based output.

Alternatively, is it possible to somehow verify that certain elements from the Ecore model for the GMF editor map to elements in the Ecore model for the text based language?

I have no idea if this kind of thing is possible with Epsilon, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
Re: [Epsilon] Complete Beginner: Is this possible? [message #755390 is a reply to message #755375] Tue, 08 November 2011 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steffen Zschaler is currently offline Steffen Zschaler
Messages: 228
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Phil,

Why do you need to verify the links? If you generate the text-language
elements from the visual language, the correspondence will be exactly as
expressed in the generation rules.

I assume, that I misunderstand something about your question, though ;-)

Best,

Steffen

On 08/11/2011 10:05, 366409 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a complete beginner when it comes to Epsilon (or in fact the
> field of meta-modeling, model transformations etc). My question is, I
> have created a GMF editor from one Ecore model, and have another Ecore
> model for some text based language that is generated by the GMF
> editor. Is it possible to verify links between these two models using
> Epsilon?
>
> For example, If I create 3 elements of a one type in my GMF editor,
> then I would like to ensure that these 3 elements appear in the text
> based output.
>
> Alternatively, is it possible to somehow verify that certain elements
> from the Ecore model for the GMF editor map to elements in the Ecore
> model for the text based language?
>
> I have no idea if this kind of thing is possible with Epsilon, so any
> help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Phil
Re: [Epsilon] Complete Beginner: Is this possible? [message #755399 is a reply to message #755390] Tue, 08 November 2011 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
366409 is currently offline 366409
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
Hi Steffen,

This is as I thought, although I was recently questioned when presenting work on whether I had considered using Epsilon to "verify" the translation from Graphical elements to the textual language. I have been reading around, and the more I read the less sense this question makes. Maybe another question which makes more sense is does Epsilon provide any features to support model to text transformation?

Also, from what I have read, I understand that Epsilon (EVL to be more precise) can be used to write constraints on models and can be used to show errors in the GMF editor. I wonder if the question I was originally asked relates to this, as this would stop any "junk" or broken code being generated from incomplete GMF models.

Thanks for the quick response, and I hope my questions are not too naive...

Phil
Re: [Epsilon] Complete Beginner: Is this possible? [message #755425 is a reply to message #755399] Tue, 08 November 2011 08:14 Go to previous message
Steffen Zschaler is currently offline Steffen Zschaler
Messages: 228
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Phil,

On 08/11/2011 11:04, 366409 wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> This is as I thought, although I was recently questioned when
> presenting work on whether I had considered using Epsilon to "verify"
> the translation from Graphical elements to the textual language. I
> have been reading around, and the more I read the less sense this
> question makes. Maybe another question which makes more sense is does
> Epsilon provide any features to support model to text transformation?
Yes, EGL, the Epsilon Generation Language.
> Also, from what I have read, I understand that Epsilon (EVL to be more
> precise) can be used to write constraints on models and can be used to
> show errors in the GMF editor. I wonder if the question I was
> originally asked relates to this, as this would stop any "junk" or
> broken code being generated from incomplete GMF models.
This seems to make more sense, at least :-)

Best,

Steffen
>
> Thanks for the quick response, and I hope my questions are not too
> naive...
>
> Phil
Previous Topic:[EuGENia] Ordering of Tools, Adding custom menus, Drag'n'Drop
Next Topic:Source Code Location and Target Platform
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Aug 30 22:35:32 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03407 seconds