Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » [SOLVED] How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial?
[SOLVED] How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754096] Mon, 31 October 2011 18:28 Go to next message
Hoang  is currently offline Hoang Friend
Hi everyone,

I am a beginner to GMF and I would like to ask how to integrate the state diagram into the example used in the GMF Tutorial? It is not written clearly how to do it in the tutorial though. Sorry I found many new concepts when working with GMF so please forgive for this newbie question.

UPDATED:
I have created the one for myself at this url: https://github.com/pnhoang/Selflet

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2011 14:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754216 is a reply to message #754096] Tue, 01 November 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I installed the EMF or GMF module, the MoDisco Model Browser is the default editor for .gmfgraph diagram so I could not see the menu Load Resource .. when I right click on the blank area in the .gmfgraph.

Make sure that your editor is "Generic EMF Form Editor" and you'll see the Load Resource.. menu when you right click on the gmfgraph file.

I attach an image to show how the MoDisco Model Browser had confused me for so long time.
index.php/fa/6009/0/

Right click on the .gmfgraph area and choose Load Resource .. to insert the following:

platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.gmf.graphdef/models/basic.gmfgraph
platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.gmf.graphdef/models/classDiagram.gmfgraph
platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.gmf.graphdef/models/stateDiagram.gmfgraph

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2011 13:35]

Re: How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754374 is a reply to message #754096] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

On 31/10/2011 19:28, Hoang wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a beginner to GMF and I would like to ask how to integrate the
> state diagram into the example used in the GMF Tutorial

Which state diagram are you speaking about?

It is not
> written clearly how to do it in the tutorial though.

Ok, but can you make it clearer or help us to make it clearer by
providing what is clear and what is not, and how to make things clearer?
Your feedback would be a very valuable contribution to GMF !

Sorry I found many
> new concepts when working with GMF so please forgive for this newbie
> question.

No problem, GMF and documentation are not that easy.

--
http://mickaelistria.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/#!/mickaelistria
http://www.petalslink.com
Re: How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754394 is a reply to message #754374] Wed, 02 November 2011 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mickael,

I am talking about this state diagram in the GMF Tutorial: platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.gmf.graphdef/models/stateDiagram.gmfgraph I would like to know how to integrate it into my diagram as suggested in the part 1 of the tutorial.

I would like to give many feedbacks on the GMF Tutorial documentation, but I have not figured how to contribute to it? If I have doubts in one sentence or phrase there, how do I signal it to the authors?

Just to list some of my doubts:
- In the Part 1 of the tutorial, it says,
" Actually, carefully check that the mapping wizard assigned the proper tool to both the Topic node and the Subtopics link until bug 189410 is resolved."
From my point of view, I do not know what to check? how to check them? which values are correct, which are not? considering that we have many version of Eclipse and the one I am working on is Helios is the exact one that the tutorial suggests, I was still having troubles understanding that phase.
- All the "Notation model", "Generation model", etc.. in Actual Size are very confusing, I was confused when seeing that many diagrams and they do not serve for any purpose in the tutorial. I would expect the tutorial to guide me step by step to reach my goal. Those diagrams should be moved to references or somewhere else.
- Many figures displayed are not in correct orders, in Part 2 of the tutorial, the first figure displays already many items in the Palette, while if I followed the tutorial step 1, I do not see those items in the Palette. This is just one case, some other figures in Part 1 as well.
- In Part 2, "Generation" section,
"In the generated org.eclipse.gmf.examples.mindmap.diagram.edit.parts.ResourceEditPart$ResourceFigure class, set the attribute private boolean myUseLocalCoordinates = true; You might want to set the comment above it to @generated NOT in order to preserve this change. Without doing this the polygon used for the figure's body will not be visible. With that, set the fill(true) method on the body in the generated figure code, as it seems otherwise to not be filled."
This paragraph should be further explained, I have not succeeded in getting the body to display yet. Only the head of the figure is shown.
- Part 2: "To add the ability to create links from other elements to a Resource, follow steps similar to how links are used to represent subtopics. This exercise is left to the reader ;-)"
Even though I can do it (after searching for many other tutorials on the internet about GMF), but I think that the Tutorial should be a step by step guide from start to finish.
- Part 2:
"Use ImageFigure
These figures make a reference to an Image (png, jpeg) that is located inside another bundle."
There should be an example and a guide on how to do it. The paragraph is not well formed.

I will update this post while I follow the tutorial.

Thanks and best regards,

Hoang

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 12:43]

Re: How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754406 is a reply to message #754394] Wed, 02 November 2011 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

> I am talking about this state diagram in the GMF Tutorial:
> platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.gmf.graphdef/models/stateDiagram.gmfgraph

Ok

> I would like to know how to integrate is into my diagram.

What do you mean by "integrate" ? A gmfmap will help you to create a
"full" diagram editor. You will for sure be able to reuse some parts of
it for your use-case, but it strongly depends on what you concretely
want to integrate.

> I would like to give many feedbacks on the GMF Tutorial documentation,
> but I have not figured how to contribute to it?

For the wiki, you can directly edit it by yourself, it only requires you
to have an Eclipse.org account (that you can get through bugs.eclipse.org)

> If I have doubts in one sentence or phrase there, how do I signal it to the authors?

The best place is to report a bug against https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/
and then category Modeling > GMF > website.

> Just to list some of my doubts:
> - In the Part 1 of the tutorial, it says, " Actually, carefully check
> that the mapping wizard assigned the proper tool to both the Topic node
> and the Subtopics link until bug 189410 is resolved."
> From my point of view, I do not know what to check? how to check them?
> which values are correct, which are not? considering that we have many
> version of Eclipse and the one I am working on is Helios is the exact
> one that the tutorial suggests, I was still having troubles
> understanding that phase.
> - All the "Notation model", "Generation model", etc.. in Actual Size are
> very confusing, I was confused when seeing that many diagrams and they
> do not serve for any purpose in the tutorial. I would expect the
> tutorial to guide me step by step to reach my goal. Those diagrams
> should be moved to references or somewhere else.
> - Many figures displayed are not in correct orders, in Part 2 of the
> tutorial, the first figure displays already many items in the Palette,
> while if I followed the tutorial step 1, I do not see those items in the
> Palette. This is just one case, some other figures in Part 1 as well.

I'll try to improve the tutorial according to your feedbacks. I'll keep
you in touch.

Regards,

--
http://mickaelistria.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/#!/mickaelistria
http://www.petalslink.com
Re: How to integrate the State Diagram into the example in GMF Tutorial? [message #754435 is a reply to message #754406] Wed, 02 November 2011 14:17 Go to previous message
Hi Mikael,

Thank you for your responses.

The problem is that I am not sure what to edit in the articles. It is the tutorial for me to follow. So if I am stuck, I can not go there and edit the article myself.

I think there should be ways for communicating the feedbacks about the quality of the articles in one place and someone might be able to look at them. (The way Apple documentation website is created for their users, I can rate the articles, I can report bugs or anything about a specific article at the bottom of the page)

***Update***

I am slowly editing some parts of the Tutorial. I will just add new details for clarification not remove any other parts made by others. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 17:37]

Previous Topic:Edit the actions to do when a property is changed
Next Topic:GMF editors for .gmfgen, .gmfmap, .gmftool and gmfgraph
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:54:54 GMT 2024