Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties
grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753429] Thu, 27 October 2011 08:35 Go to next message
Henrik Rentz-Reichert is currently offline Henrik Rentz-ReichertFriend
Hi all,

in my opinion grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties.
I understand grid width and snap to grid as settings of the viewer and not of the diagram itself.

Don't you think so?

Thanks,
Henrik
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753455 is a reply to message #753429] Thu, 27 October 2011 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Henrik,

making these settings available as Graphiti preferences sounds appealing at a first glance, however the consequence would be that all tools build on top of Graphiti being present within one Eclipse installation would share the same settings. This might not be what one wants.
On the other hand I also see that having this stuff set and persisted at the diagram is too restrictive and users might want to change tese settings without affecting persistency.
What do you think of an approach where these settings may be overruled by e.g. the tool behaviour provider (maybe controlled by a tool-owned preference setting) ?

Michael
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753512 is a reply to message #753429] Thu, 27 October 2011 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hernan Gonzalez is currently offline Hernan GonzalezFriend
Henrik Rentz-Reichert wrote on Thu, 27 October 2011 05:35
Hi all,

in my opinion grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties.
I understand grid width and snap to grid as settings of the viewer and not of the diagram itself.

Don't you think so?

Thanks,
Henrik

I've also been musing on somtehing related, perhaps you should read/comment this issue
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=361300

Among all the grid settings, I think that the grid size is the most reasonable to be persisted as a diagram property; but I agree that in some cases the editor should allow the user to change it. There are three alternatives:

1) change (and persist) the settings for the particular diagram
(this could be done today by a custom dialog, no problem here)

2) change the settings globally for a particular diagramprovider / diagramtype.

3) change the settings globally (Graphiti)

The third options seems too invasive, as Michael says. The 2 seems the most flexible and elegant way, it would require support to store some preferences
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753621 is a reply to message #753512] Fri, 28 October 2011 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Graf is currently offline Andreas GrafFriend
Hi,

I would suggest to consider a more comprehensive preferences approach when implementing this. In many editors, you will not only have diagram specific grid settings, but other, editor specific settings as well. These should integrate into the UI. In addition, there might not be only specific settings for the diagram, but for shapes etc. as well. Currently, this has to be implemented by the user. If there is something done for diagram settings, it would be great, if the solution would be generic.

Andreas
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753643 is a reply to message #753621] Fri, 28 October 2011 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
I see, there is general interest in this, so I would suggest that you file
this as an enhancement bugzilla.

Do you have any concrete examples of other settings e.g. for shapes, you
would like to have?

Michael

"Andreas Graf" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:j8df6k$hkf$1@news.eclipse.org...

Hi,

I would suggest to consider a more comprehensive preferences approach when
implementing this. In many editors, you will not only have diagram specific
grid settings, but other, editor specific settings as well. These should
integrate into the UI. In addition, there might not be only specific
settings for the diagram, but for shapes etc. as well. Currently, this has
to be implemented by the user. If there is something done for diagram
settings, it would be great, if the solution would be generic.

Andreas
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753683 is a reply to message #753621] Fri, 28 October 2011 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hernan Gonzalez is currently offline Hernan GonzalezFriend
Andreas Graf wrote on Fri, 28 October 2011 02:52

not only have diagram specific grid settings, but other, editor specific settings as well.

Perhaps "diagram-type specific", rather better than "editor specific".
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #753730 is a reply to message #753643] Fri, 28 October 2011 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Graf is currently offline Andreas GrafFriend
Hi Michael,

I am not sure that there is a predefined set of preferences that could be agreed on.
E.g. if you look at a modeling tool that has components with ports you might have settings like

- color to draw shape (pretty generic)
- draw / don't draw ports (depending on shape type, not graphiti generic anymore)
- specifiy which ports to draw (depending on business object)

However, the user probably would expect only one place / dialog box,probably with different tabs or even the general property sheet to set these.

I will file an enhancement, if others see it similar Smile
Re: grid settings should be controlled by preferences rather than being diagram properties [message #758155 is a reply to message #753683] Tue, 22 November 2011 07:44 Go to previous message
Henrik Rentz-Reichert is currently offline Henrik Rentz-ReichertFriend
I filed an enhancement
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=364441

Please feel free to add comments and further proposals.

Henrik

Am 28.10.2011 12:51, schrieb Hernan:
> Andreas Graf wrote on Fri, 28 October 2011 02:52
>> not only have diagram specific grid settings, but other, editor specific settings as well.
>
>
> Perhaps "diagram-type specific", rather better than "editor specific".
>
Previous Topic:Store EMF model and Graphiti diagram seperately
Next Topic:FixPointAnchorEditPart does not override getDragTracker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:19:57 GMT 2024