Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » plugin developed using C++(Can I use C++ to create an eclipse plugin?)
icon5.gif  plugin developed using C++ [message #736125] Thu, 13 October 2011 16:07 Go to next message
dtudino is currently offline dtudinoFriend
Hello,

I'm really new to Eclipse plugin development, and I've got a quick question about it.

I'm potentially working on a project that would involve plugin for Eclipse that would be interfacing with a C++ library. I've noticed that all the documentation and examples I've seen so far for creating plugins are in Java.

Is it possible to create a plugin using C++ instead? It would make interfacing with my external library a lot easier for me. If not, do you have any recommendations on how to proceed with something like this? Would I just need to use the native interface libraries or something? Would it still work, or would there be any weird issues I would need to work around?

Thanks,
david
Re: plugin developed using C++ [message #737911 is a reply to message #736125] Sat, 15 October 2011 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Steele is currently offline John SteeleFriend
The bottom line is you can't build an Eclipse Plug-in using C++. The whole framework is Java-based. Plug-ins are OSGi bundles, which are dynamically loaded into Eclipse's runtime environment (Equinox). It's not possible to change this to C++. You could write the plugin in Java using the PDE, and have the Java code interact with the C++ libraries.
Re: plugin developed using C++ [message #739402 is a reply to message #737911] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dtudino is currently offline dtudinoFriend
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply - I suspected it might not be directly doable, but I thought I'd double check.

So if I make some Java interfaces for my C++ libs, I should be good to go, then?

Thanks,
david
Re: plugin developed using C++ [message #897147 is a reply to message #739402] Sun, 22 July 2012 14:47 Go to previous message
jim liu is currently offline jim liuFriend
Of course ,It is java way

java eclipse Search
http://javafind.appspot.com/
Previous Topic:Properties View without IAdaptable
Next Topic:How do I get different togglestates of a command between views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:30:42 GMT 2024