Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » initial results trying to develop a basic plugin
initial results trying to develop a basic plugin [message #732140] Tue, 04 October 2011 02:19 Go to next message
Gray Mising name is currently offline Gray Mising nameFriend
For what it's worth. I'm a reasonably smart guy and yet I find the initial couple of hours of trying to get a basic plugin working extremely frustrating. I love Eclipse and have been living and breathing it for 4 years now and this is the most frustrated I've been working with it.

I hope this is at least helpful to the folks who are working on the docs. I just have the basic 'Eclipse IDE for Java Developers' download. Here are my results:

- Started with a couple of Google searches but some old and out of date information. Some helpful but it seemed very laborious to do it from scratch and didn't talk about dependencies. So switch tacks.
- I go to Eclipse / Documentation / 3.7 / look for plugins
- i have no idea what JDT Plug-_in Versus Plug-in Development
- I assume I should start at Plug-in Development Environment
- good stuff, good overview
- I get down to "Creating an Eclipse Plugin" but it says "You must run help locally"
- I go to Eclipse and pull down help but no information about how to get that locally
- can't find any cheats around plugins or anything
- not sure if I don't have some help install but no help on this
- Go back to the online docs but now How-To, no step by step, nothing
- So I guess I don't have the right help package installed nor maybe the right eclipse development jars but there is no instructions about the requirements

Sigh. So I guess I'll try and download a plugin and reverse engineer it. Or maybe go back to the "Your First Plugin" and struggle through the text to get it to work.

Sigh. My apologies in advance for all of the obvious steps I'm missing.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2011 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: initial results trying to develop a basic plugin [message #732346 is a reply to message #732140] Tue, 04 October 2011 14:47 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
The IDE for Java Developers does not include the Plugin Development Environment. You need to install that separately (or install the Classic or RCP package initially).

To install on your existing Eclipse, go to Help->Install New Software. Select Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers. This will install the tools along with the help documentation.
Previous Topic:Installed deltapack, now my ECLIPSE_HOME is incorrect!!!!
Next Topic:JUnit testing action contribution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 19 04:55:40 GMT 2014