Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins
icon4.gif  eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins [message #729917] Tue, 27 September 2011 09:37 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Hi everyone. My English is not very good.
My problem is: I had installed several plugins and today I have just updated these plugins through "Check for update" menu on Eclipse. After installed, size (capacity) of eclipse has increased about 250MB, too much, I think about tens MB is enough. I think eclipse just download and install all update plugins but don't remove old version of these plugins.
So, what is solution for my trouble ?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2011 09:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins [message #730091 is a reply to message #729917] Tue, 27 September 2011 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
java_fan  is currently offline java_fan Friend
I don't think it is a trouble by any mean, since 250MB is not much today.

java collection

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2011 23:26]

Re: eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins [message #730133 is a reply to message #730091] Tue, 27 September 2011 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend, you're right, it's not much today. But if I install more plugins, update them when new versions are released, increased size is not 250MB, even GBs. Moreover, too many files maybe cause eclipse run slower. Thanks for reply, friend! Smile
Re: eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins [message #730145 is a reply to message #730091] Tue, 27 September 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Th Eclipse Foundation forum group is non-technical; it's not the right place to discuss your question. So I'm moving it to the Platform group instead.

The reason that Eclipse keeps old versions of plugins after updating is that it provides a "rollback" feature to allow users to revert their Eclipse installation to a previous state. For example, imagine you install some plugins and later realize that they don't work correctly or conflict with some other features that you use; Eclipse allows you to easily revert to a state before you installed the offending plugins. To do that, it has to keep old versions of plugins around.
If you click About Eclipse, then Installation Details, then Installation History, you can see the UI for this feature. I see that there's a Delete button there, but I'm not sure if it deletes just the "configuration" (state) or if it would also delete the associated plugin versions from your file system also. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Eric

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2011 17:34]

Re: eclipse folder capacity increased too much after update plugins [message #730151 is a reply to message #730145] Tue, 27 September 2011 17:44 Go to previous message
I had tried above way before but it deleted only configuration. Thanks for you help, Eric.
Previous Topic:How to create Cheat Sheets programmatically
Next Topic:Eclipse 3.7 freezing on Ubuntu 10.10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:27:29 GMT 2024