Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Beginner Quest.: Animation, Zoom, Create, UI controls(Animation, Zoom, Create, UI controls)
Beginner Quest.: Animation, Zoom, Create, UI controls [message #726607] Sun, 18 September 2011 21:00 Go to next message
Moritz   is currently offline Moritz
Messages: 22
Registered: July 2011
Junior Member
Hi all,

I am new to Graphiti for a few weeks now, and I am really sold on it. But I sill have some beginner questions and hope to get some more information here! Thank you for answers.

Does Graphiti support animations in any way? I am thinking about animated shapes (text) moving around, e.g. to visualize the state transitions of a simulation result. Do I have to position the shapes via setLocation(...) in a background thread by hand, or do you have any other idea? If I do have it by hand, can one disable the updateFeatures etc. awhile to improve the speed?

How do I correctly create and delete a shape programmatically? As I see, the result of the create/addFeature is processed in any way, so calling them directly would not be sufficient.

How can one provide different level of details for different zoom factors? I would like to hide some details when zoomed out.. is this possible?

How can one use own UI controls for direct editing? I'm thinking about providing context support as known from Xtext - maybe this has already been discussed somewhere?


Greetings,
Moritz
Re: Beginner Quest.: Animation, Zoom, Create, UI controls [message #727031 is a reply to message #726607] Tue, 20 September 2011 04:42 Go to previous message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael Wenz
Messages: 1571
Registered: July 2009
Location: Walldorf, Germany
Senior Member
Moritz,

see my comments below.

Michael


>"Moritz H." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:j563i7$tvf$1@news.eclipse.org...
>Hi all,
>
>I am new to Graphiti for a few weeks now, and I am really sold on it. But I
>sill have some beginner questions and hope to get some more information
>here! Thank you for answers.
>
>Does Graphiti support animations in any way? I am thinking about animated
>shapes (text) moving around, e.g. to visualize the state transitions of a
>simulation result. Do I have to position the shapes via setLocation(...) in
>a background thread by hand, or do you have any other idea? If I do have it
>by hand, can one disable the updateFeatures etc. awhile to improve the
>speed?
Animations are not supported by Graphiti. Graphiti deals with more or less
static diagrams that change on user interactions. Integrating animations
does not fit that well into the concepts, at least I do not see how.
>
>How do I correctly create and delete a shape programmatically? As I see,
>the result of the create/addFeature is processed in any way, so calling
>them directly would not be sufficient.
Not sure if that's your point but I'll try an answer: You can call the
canExecute method of a feature to see if it is enabled and then call the
execute method from within an EMF TransactionalEditingDomain (use the one of
the diagram editor instance if you have one).
>
>How can one provide different level of details for different zoom factors?
>I would like to hide some details when zoomed out.. is this possible?
That's not possible, since Graphiti diagrams are rather static.
>
>How can one use own UI controls for direct editing? I'm thinking about
>providing context support as known from Xtext - maybe this has already been
>discussed somewhere?
Does that go into the direction of
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=347262 ? Wo have planned to
work on that for Juno, simply add additional thoughts in the bug.
>
>
>Greetings,
>Moritz
Previous Topic:Transient (run time only) graphics in Graphiti?
Next Topic:BorderDecorator
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 24 21:54:36 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01917 seconds