Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Implementing org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets.cheatSheetItemExtension(Creating a new button to open a browser)
Implementing org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets.cheatSheetItemExtension [message #725453] Wed, 14 September 2011 20:28
Rich Payton is currently offline Rich PaytonFriend
If anyone has read my previous posts it is obvious I'm not a programmer, but I still need to do some programming.

As I write cheat sheets I want to give examples of code which must be written in fixed width format and where white space counts. This is impossible in the normal text area since additional spaces are ignored and the font is not fixed width.

The ideal solution would be to implement something similar to the <PRE> html tag, but I think what I will have to do instead is use the cheatSheetItemExtension extension point.

I want to create a button that would appear next to the content specific help button that when clicked opens a browser of a page I specify. I would then create and display an html page with the sample code.

I need help implementing this extension. I've read the help content for this extension but I'm at a loss at how to make the button actually open a browser and how I specify the page to open.

I know how to open a browser using the command menus and I know how to place my html pages in the help system and open them using the help icon, but I think a dedicated button would be more beneficial (my other 'solutions' are more hacks than anything else.)

If you are willing to walk me through the process I would be very grateful.
Previous Topic:Error Message
Next Topic:Old welcome.page is displayed when using ActionFactory.INTRO.create(window)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:00:46 GMT 2024