Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Feature Request: Update on open project
Feature Request: Update on open project [message #724838] Tue, 13 September 2011 10:29 Go to next message
asciimonster is currently offline asciimonsterFriend
I only use Eclipse in combination with SVN. I have a lot of projects open (especially when we've recently branched), so I'm using working sets to the fullest

To keep on top of things I do two things:
1. Close projects I'm not using. With only the releasenumer for a difference this helps against mistakes.
2. Update form SVN dayly and I commit at least once ever day (provided the code is stable).

Hence I do "Team->Update to HEAD" and "Team->Commit" very often. I've alredy assigned the keys Ctrl+Alt+U and Ctrl+Alt+C to update and commit respecively. But I think this can be improved even more.

My requests to make my life somewhat easier:
  • When I open a project which is previously closed, an automatic svn update (to HEAD)is done in the background.
  • When I close a project a commit to SVN is required.

This behaviour should be configurale, of course.

Your thoughts please...
Re: Feature Request: Update on open project [message #725016 is a reply to message #724838] Tue, 13 September 2011 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
This is certainly something which would have to be "configurable". Prompting for a choice on open / close of a project might be better with a tick box to "remember for this project" (default unchecked).

I would be scared to turn this feature on myself as there would be too much risk that I would break something or commit bad code by mistake.
Re: Feature Request: Update on open project [message #725331 is a reply to message #725016] Wed, 14 September 2011 14:28 Go to previous message
asciimonster is currently offline asciimonsterFriend
couling wrote on Tue, 13 September 2011 14:18
I would be scared to turn this feature on myself as there would be too much risk that I would break something or commit bad code by mistake.

There are two reasons this is not a problem for me:
1. We don't have automatic builds.
2. Everything has to be manually exported from our design environment to (the) SVN (checkout dir).

I agree with you on the default=off setting. I wouldn't even make it a popup when opening/closing a project, it would annoy more people then it would help. Just a menu option would be fine.
Previous Topic:Check out in a different folder than the workspace
Next Topic:Tag operation failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:19:43 GMT 2024