Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » [Buckminster headless] Workspace overlap error(What does Buckminster 'project location overlap' mean? How to solve it?)
[Buckminster headless] Workspace overlap error [message #718407] Wed, 24 August 2011 08:36 Go to next message
K. Roussel is currently offline K. RousselFriend
I am currently trying to automate the building and testing of an eclipse application, using Jenkins CI in collaboration with Buckminster headless.

This application is an eclipse product, contained in a feature, feature which is itself the composition of several Eclipse plugins. My application is based on Eclipse RCP Helios (release 3.6.2). All of the needed sources are in a Subversion (SVN) repository.

I am already able to build this product flawlessly with Buckminster integrated from within my Eclipse IDE: more precisely, I can build the complete p2 site for my product, from which I can create the final product for any supported platform (linux/gtk, win32, MacOSX...)

I have then installed Buckminster-headless 3.6 on a server, using the director:
./director \
-r http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.6/ \
-d /srv/buckminster/ \
-p Buckminster \
-i org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product

Then I installed the needed portions of Buckminster-headless:
./buckminster install \
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.6/ \
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature

./buckminster install \
org.eclipse.buckminster.pde.headless.feature

./buckminster install \
org.eclipse.buckminster.emma.headless.feature

Using a Jenkins project to extract the needed sources from SVN, I call Buckminster-headless with the following commands :
importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}fr.openpeople.platform.product/rcp.target'
import '${WORKSPACE}fr.openpeople.platform.product/OPSWP_product.cquery'
build
junit -l 'fr.openpeople.platform.product/authtest.launch' -o '${WORKSPACE}testsresults/junit.xml' --xml '${WORKSPACE}testsresults/coverage.xml'
perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=* -D target.arch=* fr.openpeople.platform.product#site.p2
perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=gtk -D target.arch=x86 fr.openpeople.platform.product#create.product.zip
perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=gtk -D target.arch=x86_64 fr.openpeople.platform.product#create.product.zip

But while from within the IDE Buckminster works without problem, Buckminster-headless fails at the second step (import cquery) with the following messages:

[workspace] $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java -Dbuckminster.output.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.output -Dbuckminster.temp.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.temp -Xmx1024m -jar /srv/buckminster/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar -application org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.headless -data /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace --loglevel info -S /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/commands.txt
INFO:  importtargetdefinition '-A' '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/basic.target'
INFO:  import '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/ophwp-remotecontrol-product.cquery'
ERROR   [0001] : Invalid project description.
  [0001] : OK
  ERROR   [0001] : /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.util.optxManager overlaps the location of another project: 'fr.openpeople.util.optxManager'
INFO:  TAG-ID 0001 = Query for fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product:eclipse.feature

I just can't understand what's wrong, nor what this error message really means... The Buckminster book says nothing about this, and I didn't find any entry in Bugzilla related to such a problem... I'm completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NB: this problem seems to be similar to the one described in message #537136 in this forum, but there was alas no answer to this topic...

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2011 08:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #718430 is a reply to message #718407] Wed, 24 August 2011 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
You encountered a bug that has been fixed. Please try a more recent buckminster, i.e:

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.7/

There's no problem building a Helios 3.6.2 based product using a 3.7 based tool.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 2011-08-24 10:36, K. Roussel wrote:
> I am currently trying to automate the building and testing of an eclipse application, using Jenkins CI in collaboration
> with Buckminster headless.
>
> This application is an eclipse product, contained in a feature, feature which is itself the composition of several
> Eclipse plugins. My application is based on Eclipse RCP Helios (release 3.6.2). All of the needed sources are in a
> Subversion (SVN) repository.
>
> I am already able to build this product flawlessly with Buckminster integrated from within my Eclipse IDE: more
> precisely, I can build the complete p2 site for my product, from which I can create the final product for any supported
> platform (linux/gtk, win32, MacOSX...)
>
> I have then installed Buckminster-headless 3.6 on a server, using the director:
>
> /director \
> -r http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.6/ \
> -d /srv/buckminster/ \
> -p Buckminster \
> -i org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product
>
>
> Then I installed the needed portions of Buckminster-headless:
>
> /buckminster install \
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.6/ \
> org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature
>
> /buckminster install \
> org.eclipse.buckminster.pde.headless.feature
>
> /buckminster install \
> org.eclipse.buckminster.emma.headless.feature
>
>
> Using a Jenkins project to extract the needed sources from SVN, I call Buckminster-headless with the following commands :
>
> importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}fr.openpeople.platform.product/rcp.target'
> import '${WORKSPACE}fr.openpeople.platform.product/OPSWP_product.cquery'
> build
> junit -l 'fr.openpeople.platform.product/authtest.launch' -o '${WORKSPACE}testsresults/junit.xml' --xml
> '${WORKSPACE}testsresults/coverage.xml'
> perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=* -D target.arch=* fr.openpeople.platform.product#site.p2
> perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=gtk -D target.arch=x86 fr.openpeople.platform.product#create.product.zip
> perform -D target.os=linux -D target.ws=gtk -D target.arch=x86_64 fr.openpeople.platform.product#create.product.zip
>
>
> But while from within the IDE Buckminster works without problem, Buckminster-headless fails at the second step (import
> cquery) with the following messages:
>
>
> [workspace] $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java
> -Dbuckminster.output.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.output
> -Dbuckminster.temp.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.temp -Xmx1024m -jar
> /srv/buckminster/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar -application
> org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.headless -data /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace --loglevel info -S
> /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/commands.txt
> INFO: importtargetdefinition '-A'
> '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/basic.target'
> INFO: import
> '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/ophwp-remotecontrol-product.cquery'
>
> ERROR [0001] : Invalid project description.
> [0001] : OK
> ERROR [0001] : /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.util.optxManager overlaps the
> location of another project: 'fr.openpeople.util.optxManager'
> INFO: TAG-ID 0001 = Query for fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product:eclipse.feature
>
>
> I just can't understand what's wrong, nor what this error message really means... The Buckminster book says nothing
> about this, and I didn't find any entry in Bugzilla related to such a problem... I'm completely stuck. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
>
> NB: this problem seems to be similar to the one described in
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/169195/537136/#msg_537136 in this forum, but there was alas no answer to
> this topic...
>
Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #718492 is a reply to message #718430] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K. Roussel is currently offline K. RousselFriend
Quote:

You encountered a bug that has been fixed. Please try a more recent buckminster, i.e:

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.7/

There's no problem building a Helios 3.6.2 based product using a 3.7 based tool.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have erased and replaced my Buckminster-headless installation from current 'headless-3.7', as you suggested. I also completely deleted and remade from scratch my Jenkins project, just to ensure no artifact from the 3.6 execution would remain...

Alas, I still encouter this strange error... B-h output is now:

[workspace] $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java -Dbuckminster.output.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.output -Dbuckminster.temp.root=/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/buckminster.temp -Xmx1024m -jar /srv/buckminster/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar -application org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.headless -data /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace --loglevel info -S /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/commands.txt
INFO:  importtargetdefinition '-A' '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/basic.target'
INFO:  import '/srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product/ophwp-remotecontrol-product.cquery'
ERROR   [0001] : Invalid project description.
  [0001] : OK
  ERROR   [0001] : /srv/jenkins/jobs/TelecommandePFmaterielleOP/workspace/fr.openpeople.util.optxManager overlaps the location of another project: 'fr.openpeople.util.optxManager'
INFO:  TAG-ID 0001 = Query for fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product:eclipse.feature

To be more precise, the 'cquery' file referenced in the failing operation is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cq:componentQuery xmlns:cq="http://www.eclipse.org/buckminster/CQuery-1.0" resourceMap="ophwp-remotecontrol.rmap">
    <cq:rootRequest name="fr.openpeople.platform.ophwp.remotecontrol.product" componentType="eclipse.feature"/>
</cq:componentQuery>

As you can see, it is just a mere reference to my project's only feature.

I really can't understand what's happening here... I 'm having Jenkins extract all of the concerned projects (the product's feature plus the plugins) from SVN in the workspace, then I just ask Bh to "view" them and make the according build.

Do you have an idea about the meaning of this error?
Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #822305 is a reply to message #718492] Fri, 16 March 2012 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerard Maas is currently offline Gerard MaasFriend
Did you find a solution for your issue? I'm having the same here.

kr, Gerard.
Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #822313 is a reply to message #822305] Fri, 16 March 2012 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 03/16/2012 01:56 PM, Gerard Maas wrote:
> Did you find a solution for your issue? I'm having the same here.
>
> kr, Gerard.

Take a look in the .project file of the affected Eclipse projects. The common cause of this problem is that the project
name used there somehow causes a conflict.

- thomas
Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #822370 is a reply to message #822305] Fri, 16 March 2012 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI, I found the cause for my issue. The project name and the Bundle-SymbolicName where not the same. This was hinted by the 'invalid project description' in the error message.
[b]14:31:37  ERROR   [0004] : Invalid project description.[/b]
14:31:37    [0004] : OK
14:31:37    ERROR   [0004] : /.../workspace/product/org.foo.bar overlaps the location of another project: 'org.foo.bar'

kr, Gerard.
Re: [Buckminster headless] [message #822373 is a reply to message #822313] Fri, 16 March 2012 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Thomas: Yes, exactly.
A pity that I didn't see your answer on time; it would have saved some of the pain Smile

Have a nice weekend,

Gerard.
icon8.gif  Re: [Buckminster headless] Workspace overlap error [message #1005484 is a reply to message #718407] Fri, 25 January 2013 16:01 Go to previous message
Alex Witt is currently offline Alex WittFriend
Hello,

i had the same problem while running buckminster script. After checking all buckminster and project files i checked the project which should imported. in my case the name of the project in the .project file was the same name of an other project used in product.
thats happend using copy paste Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic:Component is not known to Buckminster
Next Topic:Specifying a specific set of ws/os/arch for a p2 site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:15:19 GMT 2024