Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Sharing built plugins among multiple products(Ant and PDE-Build related)
Sharing built plugins among multiple products [message #718296] Tue, 23 August 2011 21:23 Go to next message
Mirage  is currently offline Mirage Friend
Hello,

I don't really have a problem. I just want to know how to optimize our custom automated Ant builder. Basically, we use Ant scripts to build three large products using PDE-build. Normally, you run the builder for each of the products. The problem is that many of the plugins are duplicated in these products. They are all rebuilt from scratch for each product. Now, we plan to add more products and OEM versions.

It would be great if it was possible to build the shared plugins only once.

The best solution would be to just be able to combine all the products in a source workspace, then build all the plugins, and create several launchers (exe or whatever) and run configurations (config.ini). I understand that PDE-build may not be ready for this.

Another solution would be to prepare a source workspace with all the plugins, build the first product, and other products would just use the previously built plugins (without rebuilding them, or performing an incremental build). This is not optimal, because you have to run the packager for all the plugins multiple times.

Yet another way to solve this would be to create a special product with all the plugins, build it, move the created plugins into the platform folder, and run other products which would simply copy the plugins out of the platform. But, who'd like to maintain another product? Creating it automatically is problematic as well.

There may be a way to make this work with features, but we'd like to avoid them, because products with plugins have the magic button "Add Required Plugins" which saves a lot of time with dependencies. Why isn't there a plugin validator for features anyway?

We already use Eclipse Indigo as our platform, so I'd like to know your suggestions. Thanks.

I've seen the same question posted on another site, but there were no replies. Sad

Cheers,
Mirage
Re: Sharing built plugins among multiple products [message #856089 is a reply to message #718296] Wed, 25 April 2012 11:09 Go to previous message
Tobias Bertelsen is currently offline Tobias BertelsenFriend
Hi Mirage.

I'm working on similar thing, during a major redesign of our build procedure.
What did you find out? I will be happy to get any experience you can share. Smile

Best
Tobias
Previous Topic:productBuild.xml and optional dependencies
Next Topic:To customize standard Welcome page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:16:53 GMT 2024