Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application
Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application [message #716784] Thu, 18 August 2011 13:16 Go to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
I want to start Eclipse CDO as an application in virgo. Eclipse CDO is available as a set of eclipse plugins and has dependencies on eclipse.core.runtime, eclipse.core.expressions, etc.
Is this possible? If yes: How do I "package" that set of eclipse plugins as an application to start in virgo?
Re: Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application [message #716805 is a reply to message #716784] Thu, 18 August 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

You may want to check the PAR and Plan artifacts supported by Virgo. We have the concept described on our wiki [1] and you can find more information in the documentation [2] (I suppose you are using 3.0)

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Concepts#Artifacts
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.0.0.x/docs/virgo-programmer-guide/html/index.html
Re: Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application [message #716831 is a reply to message #716805] Thu, 18 August 2011 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

I recommend the plan approach as it's easier to do and gives you more flexibility after you have deployed.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application [message #717715 is a reply to message #716831] Mon, 22 August 2011 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
I have tried the PLAN approach...
I tried to "transform" my PDE .product file to a .plan file...
Though, in a .product file, I can define which bundles start at which start level.
Is this not supported in a plan file?

Furthermore, I am getting into this troubles:
When looking at the bundle overview, I can see that o.e.equinox.registry is not started which is needed by EMF.

I am sure that running EMF CDO in virgo is a big advantage over the existing deployment approaches and will make virgo attractive to the EMF CDO community...
Re: Running a set of eclipse bundles as an application [message #717735 is a reply to message #717715] Mon, 22 August 2011 08:23 Go to previous message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

The plan does not support start levels. If you want to have some artefacts started before the rest of the plans you may use the initialArtifacts property [1] of the user region. This is especially useful for frameworks.

If you want to group some bundles you can use the grouping/library features [2] offered by Virgo.

By default all artefacts in a plan are started by Virgo. The equinox.registry bundle however has lazy activation policy, so the start in this case should leave the bundle in STARTING start (shown as "<lazy>" in equinox) if no class loading operation is attempted. Perhaps this is the issue here?

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.0.0.x/docs/virgo-user-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-user-guide.html#configuring-kernel
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.0.0.x/docs/virgo-user-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-user-guide.html#concepts.grouping
Previous Topic:plans with overlapping artifacts?
Next Topic:Debugging bundles on Virgo with Spring Source Tool Suite
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:40:19 GMT 2024