Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees
Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75789] Fri, 30 June 2006 04:40 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: RGuschin.computel.ru

Hi All.

Environment: eclipse 3.2 RC5, tptp 4.2.0 , jvm sun 1.5.0_6, windows XP prof.
I unpack Agent Controller, config it through SetConfig.bat and run
ACServer.exe. Then, open eclipse "Profile" -> "Attach - Java Process",
create new configuration, select localhost:10002, go to tab "Agents"
and.... nothing there are no agents at all. What i'm doing wrong?

Thank`s
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75891 is a reply to message #75789] Fri, 30 June 2006 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy D. Smith is currently offline Randy D. Smith
Messages: 394
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rodion Guschin wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Environment: eclipse 3.2 RC5, tptp 4.2.0 , jvm sun 1.5.0_6, windows XP
> prof.
> I unpack Agent Controller, config it through SetConfig.bat and run
> ACServer.exe. Then, open eclipse "Profile" -> "Attach - Java Process",
> create new configuration, select localhost:10002, go to tab "Agents"
> and.... nothing there are no agents at all. What i'm doing wrong?
>
> Thank`s

Was Eclipse running before/while you started ACServer? It can't get the
port (10002) if the IAC inside Eclipse already has it. ACServer has to
start cleanly. Check out <install_dir>/config/servicelog.log and see if
the ACServer is "happy".

--
RDS

Randy D. Smith randy (dot) d (dot) smith (at) intel (dot) com
Eclipse TPTP Committer, Platform Proj (data collection/agent controller)
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75905 is a reply to message #75891] Fri, 30 June 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: graymagi.gmail.com

Hi Randy,
ACServer was started before eclipse, and it definitely "happy" :) (logs
are fine)
Also, eclipse binds to 10002 port only when i`m trying to run some
monitoring activities (like direct connection or something like that) -
this is not my case. I got ACServer running, run eclipse, go to
profiling, select localhost:10002, test connection (got success), go to
agents tab and still see nothing. I suppose - at least i should see some
default agents bundled with ACServer am i right?


Randy D. Smith wrote:
> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> Environment: eclipse 3.2 RC5, tptp 4.2.0 , jvm sun 1.5.0_6, windows XP
>> prof.
>> I unpack Agent Controller, config it through SetConfig.bat and run
>> ACServer.exe. Then, open eclipse "Profile" -> "Attach - Java Process",
>> create new configuration, select localhost:10002, go to tab "Agents"
>> and.... nothing there are no agents at all. What i'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Thank`s
>
> Was Eclipse running before/while you started ACServer? It can't get the
> port (10002) if the IAC inside Eclipse already has it. ACServer has to
> start cleanly. Check out <install_dir>/config/servicelog.log and see if
> the ACServer is "happy".
>
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75920 is a reply to message #75905] Fri, 30 June 2006 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy D. Smith is currently offline Randy D. Smith
Messages: 394
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rodion Guschin wrote:
> Hi Randy,
> ACServer was started before eclipse, and it definitely "happy" :) (logs
> are fine)
> Also, eclipse binds to 10002 port only when i`m trying to run some
> monitoring activities (like direct connection or something like that) -
> this is not my case. I got ACServer running, run eclipse, go to
> profiling, select localhost:10002, test connection (got success), go to
> agents tab and still see nothing. I suppose - at least i should see some
> default agents bundled with ACServer am i right?

No, none are started by default. PerfmonAgent is "on demand", as are the
others. *If* you've run some java program/server with the -XrunpiAgent
argument, then you should see that as an agent in the profiling launch
agents tab. But otherwise, no, there aren't any default agents set up to
run.

I'm sorta curious... what agent would you have expected to be running by
default? TPTP is itself just a platform (with exemplary tools, of
course), but I think that if we chose (for example) to run some agent by
default we'd offend some community that just wants to use us for
monitoring, testing, or profiling only.
--
RDS

Randy D. Smith randy (dot) d (dot) smith (at) intel (dot) com
Eclipse TPTP Committer, Platform Proj (data collection/agent controller)
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75956 is a reply to message #75920] Fri, 30 June 2006 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: graymagi.gmail.com

I'm not expecting any agent should be up and running :) but i can't
create any profiling in "Attach - Java Process" without choosing some
agent, how else should i do that? Am i need started agent, or may be
registered agent would be enough (that`s how i thought first, or why
else agents folder and it contents exists for?)?
Anyway, my questions arise from lack of understanding of key concepts
beyond ACServer and documentation a've found on eclipse.org doesn't
helps much :(

Rodion

Randy D. Smith wrote:
> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>> Hi Randy,
>> ACServer was started before eclipse, and it definitely "happy" :) (logs
>> are fine)
>> Also, eclipse binds to 10002 port only when i`m trying to run some
>> monitoring activities (like direct connection or something like that) -
>> this is not my case. I got ACServer running, run eclipse, go to
>> profiling, select localhost:10002, test connection (got success), go to
>> agents tab and still see nothing. I suppose - at least i should see some
>> default agents bundled with ACServer am i right?
>
> No, none are started by default. PerfmonAgent is "on demand", as are the
> others. *If* you've run some java program/server with the -XrunpiAgent
> argument, then you should see that as an agent in the profiling launch
> agents tab. But otherwise, no, there aren't any default agents set up to
> run.
>
> I'm sorta curious... what agent would you have expected to be running by
> default? TPTP is itself just a platform (with exemplary tools, of
> course), but I think that if we chose (for example) to run some agent by
> default we'd offend some community that just wants to use us for
> monitoring, testing, or profiling only.
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75971 is a reply to message #75956] Fri, 30 June 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy D. Smith is currently offline Randy D. Smith
Messages: 394
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rodion Guschin wrote:
> I'm not expecting any agent should be up and running :) but i can't
> create any profiling in "Attach - Java Process" without choosing some
> agent, how else should i do that? Am i need started agent, or may be
> registered agent would be enough (that`s how i thought first, or why
> else agents folder and it contents exists for?)?
> Anyway, my questions arise from lack of understanding of key concepts
> beyond ACServer and documentation a've found on eclipse.org doesn't
> helps much :(
>
> Rodion

"Attach - Java Process" is to connect with a Java program/server you've
started with the "-XrunpiAgent" argument, making sure that you do that
with the "piAgent.dll" library visible on your path. If you do that,
start such a Java process (after starting the ACServer), the Java
process will "register itself as an agent" with the AC and you'll see it
on the agents tab. (That's piAgent.dll's first task... subsequently it
provides all the profiling data once you attach to the agent.)

Alternatively, if you have your Java program in an Eclipse workspace,
you can Profile launch a Java process directly from the workbench

--
RDS

Randy D. Smith randy (dot) d (dot) smith (at) intel (dot) com
Eclipse TPTP Committer, Platform Proj (data collection/agent controller)
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75987 is a reply to message #75971] Fri, 30 June 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: graymagi.gmail.com

I'm not sure that i crearly understand the use case of all that stuff :)
How in this case i can avoid starting agent manualy?

Rodion

Randy D. Smith wrote:
> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>> I'm not expecting any agent should be up and running :) but i can't
>> create any profiling in "Attach - Java Process" without choosing some
>> agent, how else should i do that? Am i need started agent, or may be
>> registered agent would be enough (that`s how i thought first, or why
>> else agents folder and it contents exists for?)?
>> Anyway, my questions arise from lack of understanding of key concepts
>> beyond ACServer and documentation a've found on eclipse.org doesn't
>> helps much :(
>>
>> Rodion
>
> "Attach - Java Process" is to connect with a Java program/server you've
> started with the "-XrunpiAgent" argument, making sure that you do that
> with the "piAgent.dll" library visible on your path. If you do that,
> start such a Java process (after starting the ACServer), the Java
> process will "register itself as an agent" with the AC and you'll see it
> on the agents tab. (That's piAgent.dll's first task... subsequently it
> provides all the profiling data once you attach to the agent.)
>
> Alternatively, if you have your Java program in an Eclipse workspace,
> you can Profile launch a Java process directly from the workbench
>
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #75997 is a reply to message #75987] Fri, 30 June 2006 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy D. Smith is currently offline Randy D. Smith
Messages: 394
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rodion Guschin wrote:
> I'm not sure that i crearly understand the use case of all that stuff :)
> How in this case i can avoid starting agent manualy?
>
> Rodion

Okay, so what is your use case? What are you wanting to
profile/monitor/test? If you were wanting to attach to a java process...
which one did you have in mind??

Help me to understand what *you* want to do rather than me trying to
suggest all the different things that *can* be done!

--
RDS

Randy D. Smith randy (dot) d (dot) smith (at) intel (dot) com
Eclipse TPTP Committer, Platform Proj (data collection/agent controller)
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #76012 is a reply to message #75997] Fri, 30 June 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: graymagi.gmail.com

Ok :) I'll try.
Currently i'm only learning - how Agent Controller works. I don't have
particular use case - I'm researching how i can make use from all this
software :) And i still don't understand this. My main goal for a moment
- find a way to reuse tptp stuff to build system for monitoring and
"self-healing" that would be able to handle complex integrated solution
(about 15 highly heterogeneous systems).

Rodion.

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my language actually :)

Randy D. Smith wrote:
> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>> I'm not sure that i crearly understand the use case of all that stuff :)
>> How in this case i can avoid starting agent manualy?
>>
>> Rodion
>
> Okay, so what is your use case? What are you wanting to
> profile/monitor/test? If you were wanting to attach to a java process...
> which one did you have in mind??
>
> Help me to understand what *you* want to do rather than me trying to
> suggest all the different things that *can* be done!
>
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #76029 is a reply to message #76012] Fri, 30 June 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy D. Smith is currently offline Randy D. Smith
Messages: 394
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rodion Guschin wrote:
> Ok :) I'll try.
> Currently i'm only learning - how Agent Controller works. I don't have
> particular use case - I'm researching how i can make use from all this
> software :) And i still don't understand this. My main goal for a moment
> - find a way to reuse tptp stuff to build system for monitoring and
> "self-healing" that would be able to handle complex integrated solution
> (about 15 highly heterogeneous systems).
>
> Rodion.
>
> P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my language actually :)
>
> Randy D. Smith wrote:
>
>>Rodion Guschin wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure that i crearly understand the use case of all that stuff :)
>>>How in this case i can avoid starting agent manualy?
>>>
>>>Rodion
>>
>>Okay, so what is your use case? What are you wanting to
>>profile/monitor/test? If you were wanting to attach to a java process...
>>which one did you have in mind??
>>
>>Help me to understand what *you* want to do rather than me trying to
>>suggest all the different things that *can* be done!
>>

Ahh, okay. In that case, try this. Go to the Profiling and Logging
perspective, then do a Run => Profile... to get the launch window...
don't take the "Attach - Java Process" one, but the Statistical launch
type, go to localhost:10002 as the Host and Windows System Trace
(Perfmon) as the Agent (if on Windows...), Apply, and Profile.

One the Profiling Monitor shows the attached PerfmonAgent, click the
green "Start Monitoring" button which should change attached to
monitoring...collecting then collecting. Right click on the PerfmonAgent
line, and Open With... => Agent Control. Expand the + to see the groups
of things you can monitor on the system, and expand some to select the
individual monitoring counters. Right click on the PerfmonAgent again,
and Open With... => Statistical Graph. Watch. Enjoy.

After playing around with this... consider installing the AC on another
system. When you do and you run the SetConfig, make sure you open up
access to the system you're running your Eclipse Workbench on via the
Allowed Hosts capability. (If you're behind a firewall where you can
trust everyone, you can just say "ALL" when it suggests LOCAL.)

This time create a new Statistical launch, but add this other host to
your Host list, Test Connection (to make sure you can get to the AC),
and launch the appropriate PerfmonAgent... You can monitor a remote
Linux box from your Windows box... the groups and counters are
different, but with many of the same capabilities.

If this/these seem like something that is along the lines of what you
want to do... consider looking at the code for PerfmonAgent in CVS and
building upon that model. The idea behind this performance monitoring
agent is actually quite straightforward and simple... but really, really
powerful!

If you do decide to look at the code, let me know and I'll point you to
where to find it in the CVS tree. In TPTP 4.1 we migrated this agent
from the RAC to the new tech AC... but for 4.2 we just use the original
running through the "backward compatibility" layer of the new AC which
looks just like the old RAC.

Hope this helps.

(The "Attach - Java Process" is for Profiling... gathering data on
memory usage or execution statistics, looking for "hot spots" or at a
call graph... it can monitor a *process*, but it sounded like you wanted
to monitor a *system*, so that's why I elaborated on the monitoring
capabilities vs. the trace/profile capabilities.)

--
RDS

Randy D. Smith randy (dot) d (dot) smith (at) intel (dot) com
Eclipse TPTP Committer, Platform Proj (data collection/agent controller)
Re: Don't see any agents when trying to attach remote java procees [message #76077 is a reply to message #76029] Mon, 03 July 2006 03:20 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: RGuschin.computel.ru

Thanks for explanation :)

Rodion

Randy D. Smith wrote:
> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>> Ok :) I'll try.
>> Currently i'm only learning - how Agent Controller works. I don't have
>> particular use case - I'm researching how i can make use from all this
>> software :) And i still don't understand this. My main goal for a moment
>> - find a way to reuse tptp stuff to build system for monitoring and
>> "self-healing" that would be able to handle complex integrated solution
>> (about 15 highly heterogeneous systems).
>>
>> Rodion.
>>
>> P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my language actually :)
>>
>> Randy D. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Rodion Guschin wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm not sure that i crearly understand the use case of all that
>>>> stuff :)
>>>> How in this case i can avoid starting agent manualy?
>>>>
>>>> Rodion
>>>
>>> Okay, so what is your use case? What are you wanting to
>>> profile/monitor/test? If you were wanting to attach to a java process...
>>> which one did you have in mind??
>>>
>>> Help me to understand what *you* want to do rather than me trying to
>>> suggest all the different things that *can* be done!
>>>
>
> Ahh, okay. In that case, try this. Go to the Profiling and Logging
> perspective, then do a Run => Profile... to get the launch window...
> don't take the "Attach - Java Process" one, but the Statistical launch
> type, go to localhost:10002 as the Host and Windows System Trace
> (Perfmon) as the Agent (if on Windows...), Apply, and Profile.
>
> One the Profiling Monitor shows the attached PerfmonAgent, click the
> green "Start Monitoring" button which should change attached to
> monitoring...collecting then collecting. Right click on the PerfmonAgent
> line, and Open With... => Agent Control. Expand the + to see the groups
> of things you can monitor on the system, and expand some to select the
> individual monitoring counters. Right click on the PerfmonAgent again,
> and Open With... => Statistical Graph. Watch. Enjoy.
>
> After playing around with this... consider installing the AC on another
> system. When you do and you run the SetConfig, make sure you open up
> access to the system you're running your Eclipse Workbench on via the
> Allowed Hosts capability. (If you're behind a firewall where you can
> trust everyone, you can just say "ALL" when it suggests LOCAL.)
>
> This time create a new Statistical launch, but add this other host to
> your Host list, Test Connection (to make sure you can get to the AC),
> and launch the appropriate PerfmonAgent... You can monitor a remote
> Linux box from your Windows box... the groups and counters are
> different, but with many of the same capabilities.
>
> If this/these seem like something that is along the lines of what you
> want to do... consider looking at the code for PerfmonAgent in CVS and
> building upon that model. The idea behind this performance monitoring
> agent is actually quite straightforward and simple... but really, really
> powerful!
>
> If you do decide to look at the code, let me know and I'll point you to
> where to find it in the CVS tree. In TPTP 4.1 we migrated this agent
> from the RAC to the new tech AC... but for 4.2 we just use the original
> running through the "backward compatibility" layer of the new AC which
> looks just like the old RAC.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> (The "Attach - Java Process" is for Profiling... gathering data on
> memory usage or execution statistics, looking for "hot spots" or at a
> call graph... it can monitor a *process*, but it sounded like you wanted
> to monitor a *system*, so that's why I elaborated on the monitoring
> capabilities vs. the trace/profile capabilities.)
>
Previous Topic:Does hyades work with Java 1.5 and RCP?
Next Topic:Agents and plugins semantic
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 22 23:51:29 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.04993 seconds