Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » SDK based "platform" build?
SDK based "platform" build? [message #713864] Tue, 09 August 2011 08:35
Andrey Loskutov is currently offline Andrey LoskutovFriend
Hi,
I need help pointers for the following use case:

We build product based on Eclipse Platform SDK + CDT SDK + GEF + some 3rd party plugins.

This product is built for Linux 32 and 64 bit (also two version of the same product).

We do this by (once for each architecture):

1) Once a year/release: manually download Platform SDK. Start it, install CDT/GEF from inside the SDK. Manually add some extra plugins to bundles.info. After restart with -clean record the p2 related files/directories from the eclipse root dir and that's all.

2) Custom product plugins are built and deployed daily automatically with ant build scripts to some location which is referenced from the product links/custom file.

3) For each product release we create an rpm from the product and customer install it as usual on Linux. There is NO update site and it is not planned to have one (most customers disallow Internet access from their production workstations).

Please note, that we are on Linux and that we don't allow ANY update of the product by customer. So the resulting Eclipse product is deployed to a read-only location and so can't be changed by anyone except the root user.

This "build" schema works fine since Eclipse 3.2 (before p2 we do not needed to touch bundle.info and everything was much easier).

The good thing about our build is that we need to touch the "platform" part only a year and that we do not need to run PDE build all the time (saves time).

My current problem with this way of life is: there must be a fully automated way for step 1.

So I'm not talking about building an update site or running PDE build each day. I need a solution which would allow me to create my own "platform" once a year.

What I would like to do is: run some UI based tool which allows me to select features I would like to install, based on 3.7 Platform SDK. So I would select CDT, GEF, some extra plugins and then I would say "generate 32 bit GTK platform" and "generate 64 bit GTK platform".

Do you have any good proposal / example for me to start with?
Is there any *recommended* / *default* way to create SDK based *custom* platform distributions for *multiple* platforms?

Regards,
Andrey
Previous Topic:possible bug in the osgi launch configuration dialog
Next Topic:(no subject)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:55:03 GMT 2024