Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Dynamic menu contribution doesn't show up in a toolbar
Dynamic menu contribution doesn't show up in a toolbar [message #709974] Thu, 04 August 2011 14:49 Go to next message
Alexey Romanov is currently offline Alexey RomanovFriend
In my plugin.xml I have
<menuContribution
      allPopups="false"
      locationURI="menu:arm.views.funblocks?after=additions">
      <menu
           icon="icons/fblock.gif"
           id="arm.views.funblocks.create"
           label="%arm.views.funblocks.create">
           <dynamic class="ru.focusmedia.odp.arm.funblocks.navigator.admin.CreateFunBlockContrib"
               id="arm.views.funblocks.create.menuitems">
           </dynamic>
      </menu>
      <command
           commandId="org.eclipse.ui.edit.delete"
           style="push">
      </command>
</menuContribution>

and this works fine. However, if I replace "menu:" with "toolbar:" in locationURI, only the delete command shows up, but not the menu. I've also tried replacing <menu> element with <toolbar>, but with no result. What am I doing wrong?
Re: Dynamic menu contribution doesn't show up in a toolbar [message #710255 is a reply to message #709974] Thu, 04 August 2011 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was told on StackOverflow that <menu> and <toolbar> can't be contributed to a toolbar. Now I am wondering where a <toolbar> can be contributed.
Re: Dynamic menu contribution doesn't show up in a toolbar [message #710528 is a reply to message #709974] Fri, 05 August 2011 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Catalin Gerea is currently offline Catalin GereaFriend

This works for me:
<menuContribution locationURI="toolbar:org.eclipse.ui.main.toolbar">
    <toolbar id="com.gcsf.books.toolbar.edit">
        ... some contributions here ...
    </toolbar>
    <toolbar id="com.gcsf.books.toolbar.view">
       <dynamic class="com.gcsf.books.contributions.ToolbarPerspectiveSwitcherMenu"
                  id="com.gcsf.books.dynamic.toolbar.perspectiveSwitcherMenu">
       </dynamic>
    </toolbar>
</menuContribution>

The stackoverflow response was correct: the menu and toolbar can't be contributed to a toolbar. But a toolbar can be contributed to a menu contribution.

In your case the <dynamic> has to be directly under <toolbar> (see my example above).
Just read the extension point description for 'org.eclipse.ui.menus' and you will see how this extension point has to be defined.
Re: Dynamic menu contribution doesn't show up in a toolbar [message #713897 is a reply to message #710528] Tue, 09 August 2011 10:31 Go to previous message
Quote:
But a toolbar can be contributed to a menu contribution.

Makes sense, thanks!
Quote:
An example

I did try this, and it didn't work. I now think the problem is that my contribution class inherits from CompoundContributionItem, but if you look at the definition, CompoundContributionItem.fill(Toolbar, int) does nothing. I wonder why it doesn't...
Previous Topic:non-osgi jars: embedded in bundle or in plugin directory?
Next Topic:Detached views to be brought up independently
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 01 04:07:35 GMT 2016