Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » filtering with infocenter as WAR(Behavior of infocenter when filtering is deployed as a WAR)
filtering with infocenter as WAR [message #701232] Sun, 24 July 2011 21:19 Go to next message
jcb  is currently offline jcb Friend
Hello.
When deploying the Eclipse infocenter into Apache/Tomcat as a WAR, what is the expected behavior with a help plugin that has filtering enabled?

I have a help plugin that contains an Activator, EarlyStartup, and a PropertyTester, along with all the help content. Filters are used only in the TOC xml file, not in the html content. When I deploy this plugin in workbench (local) mode, filtering works as expected and all is fine.

I know filtering is off by default in infocenter mode. When I add this same plugin (unchanged from workbench mode) into the WAR and deploy it, should I expect to see ALLcontent, or NO content?

The behavior I see is the latter: NO content. Nothing shows up in the table of contents pane at all.

A couple theories I have:

1) the content is not appearing because filtering is off. (The exact opposite of what I would expect.)

2) the plugin has one or more dependencies that are satisfied in workbench mode, but not satisfied in the infocenter WAR, therefore the plugin cannot be loaded.

I know the WAR is working because I have successfully deployed a different help plugin that does not use filtering.

I have read the docs 10000 times, and I have tried to turn filtering on (I can't even tell if my attempts at this were successful but I doubt they were), I have tried pretty much everything I can think of but nothing I do has any effect. I have looked in the Catalina logs, there is nothing in there indicating any error loading the plugin.

Any insights or info on how to tell what actually happens when I access the remote infocenter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JCB
Re: filtering with infocenter as WAR [message #703577 is a reply to message #701232] Wed, 27 July 2011 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I don't think the problem is related to filtering. You can see whether this is the case by adding a help plug-in that does not contain filtering and see if it shows up. For some reason that I don't understand sometimes the war version of the infocenter does not load the content plug-ins correctly. Cleaning out the temporary files created on the server usually fixes this. You can see which plug-ins got loaded by opening the "about servlet" which is /help/about.html. The war version of the infocenter should follow the same rules as a regular infocenter when it comes to filtering which means that I would expect your help content to show up.
Re: filtering with infocenter as WAR [message #703683 is a reply to message #703577] Wed, 27 July 2011 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Chris, thanks for responding.

I don't think filtering is the problem either. I have loaded another plugin w/o filtering and it does show up in the TOC pane.

I looked at help/about.html and my plugin _is_ in the list of loaded plugins. But nothing is displayed in the table of contents pane at all.

Can you be more specific about deleting the temporary files? I'm not an Apache/Tomcat expert -- which directories and which temporary files are you referring to?

Thanks again,
John
Re: filtering with infocenter as WAR [message #717951 is a reply to message #703683] Mon, 22 August 2011 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a bump, Chris, can you please clarify what you mean by "Cleaning out the temporary files created on the server usually fixes this."

Which temp files, and in what directory?

Thanks,
John
Re: filtering with infocenter as WAR [message #719067 is a reply to message #717951] Thu, 25 August 2011 23:51 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
It's been a while since I looked at Tomcat but as I recall there is data created in the Tomcat directories which represents the Eclipse Workspace and configuration areas. I unfortunately don't remember the path to this storage directory.
Previous Topic:DnD doesnt work in 64-bit linux
Next Topic:Infocenter and lucene bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:03:20 GMT 2024