Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Technology Project and PMC » Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP)
Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #71551] Thu, 04 May 2006 06:08 Go to next message
rahul is currently offline rahulFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi
i hav exp. on struts , SWT, Eclipse & AJAX (RoR)

i think that Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) would be a really very nice thing ,
u should start it, would help the java developer community use AJAX
effectively, maintain the position & utility of Eclipse in web development.
i would feel honoured if i may be of any help!

regards
rahul
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #71570 is a reply to message #71551] Sat, 06 May 2006 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Myers is currently offline Jeff MyersFriend
Messages: 489
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rahul,

Have you looked at the AJAX Toolkit Framework project?
http://www.eclipse.org/atf/

- Jeff
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #71741 is a reply to message #71551] Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jkrause.innoopract.com

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for the nice words. Your help is very welcome. In which area
would you be interested in contributing? As an early adopter or developer?

Cheers,

Jochen


rahul wrote:
> Hi
> i hav exp. on struts , SWT, Eclipse & AJAX (RoR)
>
> i think that Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) would be a really very nice thing
> , u should start it, would help the java developer community use AJAX
> effectively, maintain the position & utility of Eclipse in web development.
> i would feel honoured if i may be of any help!
>
> regards
> rahul
>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #71779 is a reply to message #71741] Thu, 11 May 2006 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: michael.illgner.email.de

Hi,
I have just seen the quite impressive demo/talk on the JAX 2006 and I
have some questions left ...

1. Is it possible to write a RAP application without deep knowledge of
Javascript, CSS etc.?
2. On the other site, it is possible to customize the generated
HTML/JS/CSS code to achieve a special layout or CI requirements ?

3. I have understand that a RAP application is build on on top of the
standard eclipse frameworks. How about standard eclipse features, like
the standard menus (Help, About, Update), preference pages, wizard
dialogs, update manager etc. Will these features ported to RAP ?


Michael
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #71882 is a reply to message #71779] Fri, 12 May 2006 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: rherrmann.innoopract.com

Hi Michael,

thanks for the compliments and for attending the talk. Now to Your
questions:

1. Yes the 'application developer' does not need any knowledge about web
technologies (HTML, JS, etc). He/she will only work with a pure Java API.

2. Yes, there are various ways to influence how components are rendered.
This ranges from changing some default colour settings or changing the
components' style attribute to writing Your own rendering kits (which in
turn needs thorough knowledge of HTML, etc.)

3. You are right, we plan to enable most of what is available within an
RCP application for web applications. But be aware that RAP is still a
proposal.

Cheers
RĂ¼diger

Michael Illgner wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just seen the quite impressive demo/talk on the JAX 2006 and I
> have some questions left ...
>
> 1. Is it possible to write a RAP application without deep knowledge of
> Javascript, CSS etc.?
> 2. On the other site, it is possible to customize the generated
> HTML/JS/CSS code to achieve a special layout or CI requirements ?
>
> 3. I have understand that a RAP application is build on on top of the
> standard eclipse frameworks. How about standard eclipse features, like
> the standard menus (Help, About, Update), preference pages, wizard
> dialogs, update manager etc. Will these features ported to RAP ?
>
>
> Michael
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72122 is a reply to message #71551] Mon, 22 May 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tbeno.mercury.com

Hi all,

I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful intiative\proposal
into an eclipse project? How far are we from being able to start playing
around with it?

Thanks!
Tal
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72244 is a reply to message #72122] Thu, 25 May 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jkrause.innoopract.com

Hi Tal,

We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
download.

Cheers,

Jochen


Tal Beno wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful intiative\proposal
> into an eclipse project? How far are we from being able to start playing
> around with it?
>
> Thanks!
> Tal
>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72333 is a reply to message #72244] Mon, 29 May 2006 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jkrause.innoopract.com

I have been advised that there is an Eclipse legal review that needs to
be passed before code can be made available on eclipse.org.

We have already started the process for the legal review. It seems that
some other projects have chosen to make sources available on other
websites until the legal clearing is finished, we will do the same.

Jochen

Jochen Krause wrote:
> Hi Tal,
>
> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
> of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
> download.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jochen
>
>
> Tal Beno wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from being
>> able to start playing around with it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tal
>>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72458 is a reply to message #72244] Tue, 06 June 2006 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: g.tummarello.gmail.com

Jochen,

we at DBIn (http://dbin.org) are really looking forward to see RAP
developing. So we would definitely be an early adopters. We might even
be a sponsor actually.. dbin will receive EU funds soon for a project
starting in october so it might be possible that we could "chip in" a bit.

I think its very important that you guys manage to have "perspective"
working as well as individual views. Eclipse enable for multiple
workbenches already. I guess each browser session could be mapped to one
such workbench possibly. The very interesting idea would really be to
make it as direct as possible to port (and keep in sync) an existing RCP
applicaiton like DBin to a web based approach. If i understand right
this is the goal of the project right?

Sincerely
Giovanni


Jochen Krause wrote:
> Hi Tal,
>
> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
> of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
> download.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jochen
>
>
> Tal Beno wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from being
>> able to start playing around with it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tal
>>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72495 is a reply to message #72244] Sat, 10 June 2006 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tbeno.mercury.com

Great! With Google now out there I am really hopeful to see you guys
offering another and even better alternative. Good luck and we will be
happy to try it out as soon as you have something ready.

Thanks!
Tal (senior architect at Mercury)
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72513 is a reply to message #72495] Sat, 10 June 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Goodenough is currently offline David GoodenoughFriend
Messages: 155
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tal Beno wrote:

> Great! With Google now out there I am really hopeful to see you guys
> offering another and even better alternative. Good luck and we will be
> happy to try it out as soon as you have something ready.
>
> Thanks!
> Tal (senior architect at Mercury)

Another one which is closer to home is java2script, which rather than
creating its own widget set, uses SWT.

David
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72646 is a reply to message #72333] Tue, 13 June 2006 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahul is currently offline rahulFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi Jochen
if got the chance, would like to contribute as an developer.
Bon Voyage !
thanks
rahul
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #72660 is a reply to message #72458] Wed, 14 June 2006 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ted stockwell is currently offline ted stockwellFriend
Messages: 123
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>
> Eclipse enable for multiple
> workbenches already.
>

Eclipse supports multiple workbenches now?

In the past it was not possible for Eclipse to run more than one
workbench in a JVM.
Can you point me to some information that shows me how to run multiple
workbenches?
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #73036 is a reply to message #72333] Thu, 13 July 2006 22:44 Go to previous message
Dan Connelly is currently offline Dan ConnellyFriend
Messages: 66
Registered: July 2009
Member
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070903090309020100050604
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Jochen:

Is the early access to RAP source available yet?

In particular, I am trying to assess the difficulties I would face when
convering an EMF RCP application (standard example being Library.Editor)
to a web app using RAP/W4T. When I looked at this earlier under W4T,
the adaptations of the JFace Providers to W4T Providers looked a bit
awkward.

Will standard JFace providers (Library.Edit) be immediately useful in
RAP 0.1?

Also, when can I expect the first Eclipse download for RAP? (Not
soon, no problem. I will just take the next few weeks at the lake.)

-- Dan





Jochen Krause wrote:

> I have been advised that there is an Eclipse legal review that needs
> to be passed before code can be made available on eclipse.org.
>
> We have already started the process for the legal review. It seems
> that some other projects have chosen to make sources available on
> other websites until the legal clearing is finished, we will do the same.
>
> Jochen
>
> Jochen Krause wrote:
>
>> Hi Tal,
>>
>> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
>> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next
>> couple of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide
>> a src download.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>>
>> Tal Beno wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from
>>> being able to start playing around with it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tal
>>>


--------------070903090309020100050604
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-15"
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
<font face="Arial">Jochen:<br>
<br>
Is the early access to RAP source available yet?<br>
<br>
In particular, I am trying to assess the difficulties I would face when
convering an EMF RCP application (standard example being
Library.Editor) to a web app using RAP/W4T.
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600221 is a reply to message #71551] Sat, 06 May 2006 01:21 Go to previous message
Jeff Myers is currently offline Jeff MyersFriend
Messages: 489
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rahul,

Have you looked at the AJAX Toolkit Framework project?
http://www.eclipse.org/atf/

- Jeff
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600297 is a reply to message #71551] Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48 Go to previous message
Jochen Krause is currently offline Jochen KrauseFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Rahul,

Thank you for the nice words. Your help is very welcome. In which area
would you be interested in contributing? As an early adopter or developer?

Cheers,

Jochen


rahul wrote:
> Hi
> i hav exp. on struts , SWT, Eclipse & AJAX (RoR)
>
> i think that Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) would be a really very nice thing
> , u should start it, would help the java developer community use AJAX
> effectively, maintain the position & utility of Eclipse in web development.
> i would feel honoured if i may be of any help!
>
> regards
> rahul
>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600319 is a reply to message #71741] Thu, 11 May 2006 20:20 Go to previous message
Michael Illgner is currently offline Michael IllgnerFriend
Messages: 35
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi,
I have just seen the quite impressive demo/talk on the JAX 2006 and I
have some questions left ...

1. Is it possible to write a RAP application without deep knowledge of
Javascript, CSS etc.?
2. On the other site, it is possible to customize the generated
HTML/JS/CSS code to achieve a special layout or CI requirements ?

3. I have understand that a RAP application is build on on top of the
standard eclipse frameworks. How about standard eclipse features, like
the standard menus (Help, About, Update), preference pages, wizard
dialogs, update manager etc. Will these features ported to RAP ?


Michael
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600385 is a reply to message #71779] Fri, 12 May 2006 15:08 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: rherrmann.innoopract.com

Hi Michael,

thanks for the compliments and for attending the talk. Now to Your
questions:

1. Yes the 'application developer' does not need any knowledge about web
technologies (HTML, JS, etc). He/she will only work with a pure Java API.

2. Yes, there are various ways to influence how components are rendered.
This ranges from changing some default colour settings or changing the
components' style attribute to writing Your own rendering kits (which in
turn needs thorough knowledge of HTML, etc.)

3. You are right, we plan to enable most of what is available within an
RCP application for web applications. But be aware that RAP is still a
proposal.

Cheers
RĂ¼diger

Michael Illgner wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just seen the quite impressive demo/talk on the JAX 2006 and I
> have some questions left ...
>
> 1. Is it possible to write a RAP application without deep knowledge of
> Javascript, CSS etc.?
> 2. On the other site, it is possible to customize the generated
> HTML/JS/CSS code to achieve a special layout or CI requirements ?
>
> 3. I have understand that a RAP application is build on on top of the
> standard eclipse frameworks. How about standard eclipse features, like
> the standard menus (Help, About, Update), preference pages, wizard
> dialogs, update manager etc. Will these features ported to RAP ?
>
>
> Michael
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600497 is a reply to message #71551] Mon, 22 May 2006 08:52 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tbeno.mercury.com

Hi all,

I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful intiative\proposal
into an eclipse project? How far are we from being able to start playing
around with it?

Thanks!
Tal
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600561 is a reply to message #72122] Thu, 25 May 2006 14:48 Go to previous message
Jochen Krause is currently offline Jochen KrauseFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Tal,

We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
download.

Cheers,

Jochen


Tal Beno wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful intiative\proposal
> into an eclipse project? How far are we from being able to start playing
> around with it?
>
> Thanks!
> Tal
>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600616 is a reply to message #72244] Mon, 29 May 2006 20:32 Go to previous message
Jochen Krause is currently offline Jochen KrauseFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
I have been advised that there is an Eclipse legal review that needs to
be passed before code can be made available on eclipse.org.

We have already started the process for the legal review. It seems that
some other projects have chosen to make sources available on other
websites until the legal clearing is finished, we will do the same.

Jochen

Jochen Krause wrote:
> Hi Tal,
>
> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
> of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
> download.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jochen
>
>
> Tal Beno wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from being
>> able to start playing around with it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tal
>>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600676 is a reply to message #72244] Tue, 06 June 2006 23:09 Go to previous message
Giovanni Tummarello is currently offline Giovanni TummarelloFriend
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Jochen,

we at DBIn (http://dbin.org) are really looking forward to see RAP
developing. So we would definitely be an early adopters. We might even
be a sponsor actually.. dbin will receive EU funds soon for a project
starting in october so it might be possible that we could "chip in" a bit.

I think its very important that you guys manage to have "perspective"
working as well as individual views. Eclipse enable for multiple
workbenches already. I guess each browser session could be mapped to one
such workbench possibly. The very interesting idea would really be to
make it as direct as possible to port (and keep in sync) an existing RCP
applicaiton like DBin to a web based approach. If i understand right
this is the goal of the project right?

Sincerely
Giovanni


Jochen Krause wrote:
> Hi Tal,
>
> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next couple
> of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide a src
> download.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jochen
>
>
> Tal Beno wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from being
>> able to start playing around with it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tal
>>
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600690 is a reply to message #72244] Sat, 10 June 2006 19:10 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: tbeno.mercury.com

Great! With Google now out there I am really hopeful to see you guys
offering another and even better alternative. Good luck and we will be
happy to try it out as soon as you have something ready.

Thanks!
Tal (senior architect at Mercury)
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600692 is a reply to message #72495] Sat, 10 June 2006 19:31 Go to previous message
David Goodenough is currently offline David GoodenoughFriend
Messages: 155
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tal Beno wrote:

> Great! With Google now out there I am really hopeful to see you guys
> offering another and even better alternative. Good luck and we will be
> happy to try it out as soon as you have something ready.
>
> Thanks!
> Tal (senior architect at Mercury)

Another one which is closer to home is java2script, which rather than
creating its own widget set, uses SWT.

David
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600749 is a reply to message #72333] Tue, 13 June 2006 09:52 Go to previous message
rahul is currently offline rahulFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi Jochen
if got the chance, would like to contribute as an developer.
Bon Voyage !
thanks
rahul
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600753 is a reply to message #72458] Wed, 14 June 2006 00:54 Go to previous message
ted stockwell is currently offline ted stockwellFriend
Messages: 123
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>
> Eclipse enable for multiple
> workbenches already.
>

Eclipse supports multiple workbenches now?

In the past it was not possible for Eclipse to run more than one
workbench in a JVM.
Can you point me to some information that shows me how to run multiple
workbenches?
Re: Proposal for Rich AJAX Platform (RAP) [message #600903 is a reply to message #72333] Thu, 13 July 2006 22:44 Go to previous message
Dan Connelly is currently offline Dan ConnellyFriend
Messages: 66
Registered: July 2009
Member
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070903090309020100050604
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Jochen:

Is the early access to RAP source available yet?

In particular, I am trying to assess the difficulties I would face when
convering an EMF RCP application (standard example being Library.Editor)
to a web app using RAP/W4T. When I looked at this earlier under W4T,
the adaptations of the JFace Providers to W4T Providers looked a bit
awkward.

Will standard JFace providers (Library.Edit) be immediately useful in
RAP 0.1?

Also, when can I expect the first Eclipse download for RAP? (Not
soon, no problem. I will just take the next few weeks at the lake.)

-- Dan





Jochen Krause wrote:

> I have been advised that there is an Eclipse legal review that needs
> to be passed before code can be made available on eclipse.org.
>
> We have already started the process for the legal review. It seems
> that some other projects have chosen to make sources available on
> other websites until the legal clearing is finished, we will do the same.
>
> Jochen
>
> Jochen Krause wrote:
>
>> Hi Tal,
>>
>> We plan to move on quickly. Our creation review is not yet scheduled,
>> but I hope that we can get past the creation review in the next
>> couple of weeks (3 or 4). As soon as we are accepted we will provide
>> a src download.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>>
>> Tal Beno wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wonder how far are you from turning this wonderful
>>> intiative\proposal into an eclipse project? How far are we from
>>> being able to start playing around with it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tal
>>>


--------------070903090309020100050604
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-15"
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
<font face="Arial">Jochen:<br>
<br>
Is the early access to RAP source available yet?<br>
<br>
In particular, I am trying to assess the difficulties I would face when
convering an EMF RCP application (standard example being
Library.Editor) to a web app using RAP/W4T.
Previous Topic:two interface (with a same named method)
Next Topic:Designing UI
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Nov 27 12:23:20 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11816 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software