Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Birt connexion to Hive(new feature of Birt 3.7 => Hive driver)
Birt connexion to Hive [message #698804] Wed, 20 July 2011 08:55 Go to next message
al  is currently offline al
Messages: 3
Registered: July 2011
Junior Member
Hi all,

I am currently trying to connect Birt 3.7 to Hive 0.7.0 with the new plugin, but I am experiencing troubles... My configuration is a windows 7 on which I run Birt 3.7 and a virtual machine with the pre-packed cloudera : CDH3u0 on ubuntu 10.10. The VM is accessible at 192.168.18.129 from my local and I can run Hue beeswax from both the VM and windows.

The only documentation I found on this matter is the Birt's new feature page..Here are the points where I am blocking:

- First the validation button in birt does not work, but it's no big deal..

- Then the lack of description regarding the syntax : I use "jdbc:hive://192.168.18.129:10000/default" but I can only assume it's correct.

- Regarding the id/pwd I use cloudera/cloudera as they are the one set for hive.

- The "Add file statement" is not very clear also, I didn't find any documentation on that point, so I tried several things such as "add file /user/hive/warehouse/sample_07/sample_07.csv" which seems to look like the print screen on Birt's new feature page...

So, up to now, I haven't been able to settle the connexion and I placed the only log I have as a join file.

I hope someone was able to go further than me and take some time to explain how he managed to..
Thank you in advance,

Al
  • Attachment: birt_log.txt
    (Size: 5.11KB, Downloaded 100 times)
Re: Birt connexion to Hive [message #698972 is a reply to message #698804] Wed, 20 July 2011 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Can you try adding slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar and slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar from
the hive distribution to the list of jars you added using the manage
drivers button. After you do this, you may want to restart eclipse and
try your connection again.

The jdbc connection string looks fine as long as hive is running on port
10000. The add file property is used if you are using a custom
map/reduce script. Like

Select
transform ...
using 'python mytest.py'

then you would want the mytest.py in your add file property

If you are not using it you do not need the add file property. Just
leave it blank.


Jason

On 7/20/2011 4:55 AM, al wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to connect Birt 3.7 to Hive 0.7.0 with the new plugin, but I am experiencing troubles... My configuration is a windows 7 on which I run Birt 3.7 and a virtual machine with the pre-packed cloudera : CDH3u0 on ubuntu 10.10. The VM is accessible at 192.168.18.129 from my local and I can run Hue beeswax from both the VM and windows.
>
> The only documentation I found on this matter is the Birt's new feature page..Here are the points where I am blocking:
>
> - First the validation button in birt does not work, but it's no big deal..
>
> - Then the lack of description regarding the syntax : I use "jdbc:hive://192.168.18.129:10000/default" but I can only assume it's correct.
>
> - Regarding the id/pwd I use cloudera/cloudera as they are the one set for hive.
>
> - The "Add file statement" is not very clear also, I didn't find any documentation on that point, so I tried several things such as "add file /user/hive/warehouse/sample_07/sample_07.csv" which seems to look like the print screen on Birt's new feature page...
>
> So, up to now, I haven't been able to settle the connexion and I placed the only log I have as a join file.
>
> I hope someone was able to go further than me and take some time to explain how he managed to..
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Al
Re: Birt connexion to Hive [message #698985 is a reply to message #698972] Wed, 20 July 2011 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Al

Let me know if this works and I will put up a wiki page for it.

Jason

On 7/20/2011 11:08 AM, Jason Weathersby wrote:
> Can you try adding slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar and slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar from
> the hive distribution to the list of jars you added using the manage
> drivers button. After you do this, you may want to restart eclipse and
> try your connection again.
>
> The jdbc connection string looks fine as long as hive is running on port
> 10000. The add file property is used if you are using a custom
> map/reduce script. Like
>
> Select
> transform ...
> using 'python mytest.py'
>
> then you would want the mytest.py in your add file property
>
> If you are not using it you do not need the add file property. Just
> leave it blank.
>
>
> Jason
>
> On 7/20/2011 4:55 AM, al wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently trying to connect Birt 3.7 to Hive 0.7.0 with the new
>> plugin, but I am experiencing troubles... My configuration is a
>> windows 7 on which I run Birt 3.7 and a virtual machine with the
>> pre-packed cloudera : CDH3u0 on ubuntu 10.10. The VM is accessible at
>> 192.168.18.129 from my local and I can run Hue beeswax from both the
>> VM and windows.
>>
>> The only documentation I found on this matter is the Birt's new
>> feature page..Here are the points where I am blocking:
>>
>> - First the validation button in birt does not work, but it's no big
>> deal..
>>
>> - Then the lack of description regarding the syntax : I use
>> "jdbc:hive://192.168.18.129:10000/default" but I can only assume it's
>> correct.
>>
>> - Regarding the id/pwd I use cloudera/cloudera as they are the one set
>> for hive.
>>
>> - The "Add file statement" is not very clear also, I didn't find any
>> documentation on that point, so I tried several things such as "add
>> file /user/hive/warehouse/sample_07/sample_07.csv" which seems to look
>> like the print screen on Birt's new feature page...
>>
>> So, up to now, I haven't been able to settle the connexion and I
>> placed the only log I have as a join file.
>>
>> I hope someone was able to go further than me and take some time to
>> explain how he managed to..
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> Al
>
Re: Birt connexion to Hive [message #698997 is a reply to message #698985] Wed, 20 July 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
al  is currently offline al
Messages: 3
Registered: July 2011
Junior Member
Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for your time!

I tried adding the jar files, and the "test connection" is now working. I deleted the add file statement also, because I'm only trying to connect to a single Hive table for now.

I still have the following log inside the test connection pop up:

org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException: There is an error in get connection, Could not establish connecton to 192.168.18.129:10000/default: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.doConnect(JDBCDriverManager.java:264)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.getConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:188)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.tryCreateConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:728)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.testConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:634)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ui.util.DriverLoader.testConnection(DriverLoader.java:120)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper.testConnection(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:410)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper.access$4(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:398)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper$2.widgetSelected(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:340)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:240)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.dialogs.BaseDialog.open(BaseDialog.java:111)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.actions.EditDataSourceAction.doAction(EditDataSourceAction.java:69)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.views.actions.AbstractElementAction.run(AbstractElementAction.java:70)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:667)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp.DesignerApplication.run(DesignerApplication.java:38)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.callMethodWithException(EclipseAppContainer.java:587)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:198)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
Re: Birt connexion to Hive [message #699009 is a reply to message #698997] Wed, 20 July 2011 16:13 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Do you have the hiveservice running on the hadoop box?

$ bin/hive --service hiveserver

Jason

On 7/20/2011 11:59 AM, al wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thank you very much for your time!
>
> I tried adding the jar files, and the "test connection" is now working.
> I deleted the add file statement also, because I'm only trying to
> connect to a single Hive table for now.
>
> I still have the following log inside the test connection pop up:
>
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException: There is an error
> in get connection, Could not establish connecton to
> 192.168.18.129:10000/default: java.net.ConnectException: Connection
> refused: connect.
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.doConnect(JDBCDriverManager.java:264)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.getConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:188)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.tryCreateConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:728)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCDriverManager.testConnection(JDBCDriverManager.java:634)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ui.util.DriverLoader.testConnection(DriverLoader.java:120)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper.testConnection(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:410)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper.access$4(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:398)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.hive.ui.profile.HiveSelectionPageHelper$2.widgetSelected(HiveSelectionPageHelper.java:340)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:240)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.dialogs.BaseDialog.open(BaseDialog.java:111)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.actions.EditDataSourceAction.doAction(EditDataSourceAction.java:69)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.views.actions.AbstractElementAction.run(AbstractElementAction.java:70)
>
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
> at
> org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
>
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)
> at
> org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:667)
> at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
> at
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp.DesignerApplication.run(DesignerApplication.java:38)
>
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at
> org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.callMethodWithException(EclipseAppContainer.java:587)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:198)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
>
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
> at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
> at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
>
Previous Topic:Birt and Hive
Next Topic:Changing a line style/width/color dynamically?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 22 12:26:40 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.05789 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software