Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » No ToolTipText on Windows 7
No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #693811] Thu, 07 July 2011 08:46 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: Thomas Barth

Hi,
is it possible to get ToolTipText on a Windows 7 system? New users
(women only) of my application misunderstand certain buttons!

This is how I set the ToolTiptext

ToolItem toolItemBreak = new ToolItem (toolBar, SWT.NONE);
toolItemBreak.setToolTipText(ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text"));
toolItemBreak.setImage(imgBreak);

I works on Windows XP and Linux.

Thomas B
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #693952 is a reply to message #693811] Thu, 07 July 2011 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Gayed is currently offline Grant GayedFriend
Messages: 2151
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
ToolItem tooltips work for me on Windows 7 (tried 32- and 64-bit just to
be sure). Can you try hardcoding the value in the setToolTipText()
invocation, to ensure that ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text")
isn't just returning an empty string? If this doesn't help, are there
any changes on your machine that might affect how a tab folder would
display/behave (choosing a non-default theme, etc.)?

Grant


On 7/7/2011 4:46 AM, Thomas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
> is it possible to get ToolTipText on a Windows 7 system? New users
> (women only) of my application misunderstand certain buttons!
>
> This is how I set the ToolTiptext
>
> ToolItem toolItemBreak = new ToolItem (toolBar, SWT.NONE);
> toolItemBreak.setToolTipText(ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text"));
> toolItemBreak.setImage(imgBreak);
>
> I works on Windows XP and Linux.
>
> Thomas B
>
>
>
>
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #693981 is a reply to message #693952] Thu, 07 July 2011 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: Thomas Barth

Hi Grant,
ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text") returns a default string, if
the passed ressource doesnt exist (e.g. "E: tool.Break.text is
missing"). I ve also hardcoded the value but I still don't get a tooltip
on windows 7. I ve checked it on several win7 32/64 bit systems. I got
the info from the windows 7 users too. I didnt change anything on the
windows 7 systems.

Maybe my java compiler settings are wrong / outdated? All users have
Java 1.6.0_xx-bxx installed. But I still use the compiler compliance
level 1.5
and the JNLP file contains the element

<resources>
<j2se version="1.5+" />
<jar href="/my_application.jar" />
</resources>

Could this be reason ?

Thomas B



Am 07.07.2011 16:20, schrieb Grant Gayed:
> ToolItem tooltips work for me on Windows 7 (tried 32- and 64-bit just to
> be sure). Can you try hardcoding the value in the setToolTipText()
> invocation, to ensure that ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text")
> isn't just returning an empty string? If this doesn't help, are there
> any changes on your machine that might affect how a tab folder would
> display/behave (choosing a non-default theme, etc.)?
>
> Grant
>
>
> On 7/7/2011 4:46 AM, Thomas Barth wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is it possible to get ToolTipText on a Windows 7 system? New users
>> (women only) of my application misunderstand certain buttons!
>>
>> This is how I set the ToolTiptext
>>
>> ToolItem toolItemBreak = new ToolItem (toolBar, SWT.NONE);
>> toolItemBreak.setToolTipText(ResLoader.getProperty("tool.Break.text"));
>> toolItemBreak.setImage(imgBreak);
>>
>> I works on Windows XP and Linux.
>>
>> Thomas B
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #718975 is a reply to message #693981] Thu, 25 August 2011 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SlowStrider Mising name is currently offline SlowStrider Mising nameFriend
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I would like a solution to this problem as well.. Thomas, did you find a solution?

I am deploying our RCP application through web start on Windows 7 as well. All my SWT tooltips work fine when I run the application from within Eclipse or when I export as a standalone product with a .exe.
But they never show up when I run through webstart!

I am using version 3.7 for the target platform and java version 1.6.0_26.

I'm still investigating whether or not it has something to do with different startup parameters such as -clean -console -consoleLog -debug.
Another idea is differencec in how the equinox launcher is run.
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #718980 is a reply to message #718975] Thu, 25 August 2011 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SlowStrider Mising name is currently offline SlowStrider Mising nameFriend
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
It's not in the command line options for the launcher.

I do notice however that my webstart application does not have the windows-specific fragment bundle for equinox launcher (org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502.jar) which contains a dll (eclipse_1406.dll). It doesn't seem to need this fragment to startup ok through webstart.

Does anyone know if this might explain the problem?
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #719201 is a reply to message #718980] Fri, 26 August 2011 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SlowStrider Mising name is currently offline SlowStrider Mising nameFriend
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
It's not in the Eclipse launcher but it is probably caused by (webstart?) calling AWT's Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() before opening the workbench window.

See this bug report https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=355541
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #719206 is a reply to message #719201] Fri, 26 August 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SlowStrider Mising name is currently offline SlowStrider Mising nameFriend
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
For me it turns out to be the same as this bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349387 and can be solved by not using Sun's JDK 1.6.0_26.
Re: No ToolTipText on Windows 7 [message #719553 is a reply to message #719206] Sat, 27 August 2011 19:11 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: Thomas Barth

Am 26.08.2011 13:55, schrieb SlowStrider:
> For me it turns out to be the same as this bug
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349387 and can be solved
> by not using Sun's JDK 1.6.0_26.

No ToolTips
No FileDialogs
No native looking TabFolders
....

All bugs fixed in Java 7 :)
Previous Topic:SWT Text spell checker
Next Topic:Why not just Draw Labels,Instead of creating one?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 13:37:15 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11659 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software