Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DSDP - Target Management » A newcomer to RSE seeks feedback
A newcomer to RSE seeks feedback [message #693048] Tue, 05 July 2011 17:17 Go to next message
mspetrovic is currently offline mspetrovicFriend
Hello.

This is a newbie question. I have installed Eclipse RSE, read the
FAQs, and spent a few hours experimenting with the remote file
browsing and manipulation.

But I am new to Eclipse RSE, and, in fact, new to serious Eclipse
IDE usage. I have been asked to research RSE to determine if it
is currently capable of not only remote file manipulation, but to
determine if it is also capable of locally-driven remote builds
and refactoring. Of particular interest is whether, if RSE is capable of
remote builds, Maven-based projects are supported (I know this is all
of a sudden rather specific).

Thank you for your forbearance with such an open ended question.
I can tell that RSE holds promise for remote development, but I
cannot quite ascertain where it is today on that path.

Mark
Re: A newcomer to RSE seeks feedback [message #693292 is a reply to message #693048] Wed, 06 July 2011 08:06 Go to previous message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Hi Mark,

AFAIK Maven is commandline based and RSE can present a remote commandline, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how much integration you're looking for, though.

Refactoring, remote code browsing and development is much harder since you need your source code indexed for that. The index must sit on the remote for indexing performance, so you need a local/remote interface to the Index. The RDT (Remote Development Tools) component which is part of the PTP (Parallel Tools Project) provides that for C/C++ but I'm not aware of anyone doing that for Java. See http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/rdt-setup and the PTP mailing list.

I'm not sure what's the underlying use-case that makes you looking for remote Java / Maven development... a good solution depends a lot on how much changes you need to make, and how easy your data (code) is relocatable. In general Java / Maven is quite easy to "relocate" to any local Platform so I'd usually recommend getting the data local and then working locally. This typically works fine with a remote build machine (Hudson,etc) and that's what I'd consider state of the art for Java software development.

Or if you really want a thin client, then think about accessing a complete remote session through VNC or use some completely web-based editing framework (not sure if anything exists yet in that area. At any rate, keep the tools and the data close together... any "thick pipe" that tools have to use to access the data doesn't make much sense IMO.
Previous Topic:How launch a terminal SSH in my RCP application
Next Topic:getHosts() doesn't get the local host on startup/first call - should it?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:35:10 GMT 2024