Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » XML Schema Definition (XSD) » Model to Meta-Model mapping?
Model to Meta-Model mapping? [message #69651] Thu, 07 September 2006 16:26 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mathiasfrz.web.de

Hi Ed,
Because of my master thesis I have one general question to the XML Schema
Document to Ecore model mapping (of the XSD Plugin):

Why are the XML Schema Documents mapped to ECORE Models and why is no
ECORE conform Meta-Model available which describes XML Schema documents in
an abstract way. For my understanding, XML Schema Documents are more like
models than like meta-models. Isn’t it?

Thank you very much,
Mathias
Re: Model to Meta-Model mapping? [message #69671 is a reply to message #69651] Thu, 07 September 2006 18:11 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Mathias,

XML Schema models are mapped to Ecore models so that we can take
advantage of the fact from Ecore we can generate a Java realization of
that model and hence indirectly we are generating a Java realization of
the XML Schema model. There is an Ecore model for XML Schema, it's
serialized in org.eclipse.xsd/model/XSD.ecore and the generated instance
is XSDPackage.eINSTANCE. The generated API for this model provides
XSDSchema for abstractly representing a schema document. A meta-model is
a model, so I'm not sure the distinction that's made when you say
something is more like a model than a meta model.


Mathias wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> Because of my master thesis I have one general question to the XML
> Schema Document to Ecore model mapping (of the XSD Plugin):
>
> Why are the XML Schema Documents mapped to ECORE Models and why is no
> ECORE conform Meta-Model available which describes XML Schema
> documents in an abstract way. For my understanding, XML Schema
> Documents are more like models than like meta-models. Isn�t it?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Mathias
>
>
Re: Model to Meta-Model mapping? [message #598724 is a reply to message #69651] Thu, 07 September 2006 18:11 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 26215
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Mathias,

XML Schema models are mapped to Ecore models so that we can take
advantage of the fact from Ecore we can generate a Java realization of
that model and hence indirectly we are generating a Java realization of
the XML Schema model. There is an Ecore model for XML Schema, it's
serialized in org.eclipse.xsd/model/XSD.ecore and the generated instance
is XSDPackage.eINSTANCE. The generated API for this model provides
XSDSchema for abstractly representing a schema document. A meta-model is
a model, so I'm not sure the distinction that's made when you say
something is more like a model than a meta model.


Mathias wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> Because of my master thesis I have one general question to the XML
> Schema Document to Ecore model mapping (of the XSD Plugin):
>
> Why are the XML Schema Documents mapped to ECORE Models and why is no
> ECORE conform Meta-Model available which describes XML Schema
> documents in an abstract way. For my understanding, XML Schema
> Documents are more like models than like meta-models. Isn�t it?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Mathias
>
>
Previous Topic:Model to Meta-Model mapping?
Next Topic:adding an import to a schema and validating
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Nov 22 21:31:35 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02128 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software