Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » Eclipse with OT/J really slow
Eclipse with OT/J really slow [message #685801] Mon, 20 June 2011 08:06 Go to next message
Luca Ferrari is currently offline Luca FerrariFriend
Hi,
after having installed OT/J I noted that eclipse is becoming really slow and sometimes even freezes. Even with projects that are not OT/J in nature I got this behaviour and sometimes I got the error:

Background Indexer Crash Recovery
GC overhead limit exceeded

and after then an out of memory error is reported and the system asks me to exit the workbench.
My eclipse.ini file contains the following memory configuration:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

Is there any particular settings I have to apply to make eclipse working fine?

Thanks
Re: Eclipse with OT/J really slow [message #685920 is a reply to message #685801] Mon, 20 June 2011 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Luca,

I'm sorry to hear about the performance issues.

Given that the slowness happens even for non-OT/J projects my first guess would indeed by a memory issue. Depending on the amount of physical memory on your machine I'd suggest to try with -Xmx up-to 1024m. From there we could track either
(a) if it's still slow, I'd like to know which actions in particular are slow.
(b) if it's faster with 1024m I'd like to find out what's consuming so much memory (what size is your workspace, what other plugins installed, that sort of questions).
Also: if you turn on "General > Show heap status" what does it tell you?

For comparison: I typically have the full implementation of the OTDT in my workspace (more than 35 kLOC of which are OT/J projects) plus a number of large test projects and some more and at 800m I don't have noticable performance issues.

Another thing to try: the OTDT has one background job running on every editor switch, which can be turned off in the preferences: "Object Teams > Show markers for playedBy ...". Does that make a difference?

Since Eclipse 3.7 and OTDT 2.0 will be publicly available this Wednesday, will updating be an option for you? At least one significant performance improvement has been made for 0.8 M7.

best,
Stephan

Re: Eclipse with OT/J really slow [message #685965 is a reply to message #685920] Tue, 21 June 2011 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.
First of all I'm not saying object teams is faulty, it is just that my eclipse was running faster before I installed it.

I've changed my eclipse.ini to set up memory like the following:

-XX:MaxPermSize=521m
-Xms40m
-Xmx1024m

and now it works better! However it still has some freezes and I noted that when I launch the workbench I've got a running progress for "showing role markers", so it seems that disabling it from the object team configuration makes it running better.

The show heap function says I've 657 MB, and I'm running always over 400 MB to 500 MB.

My eclipse installation is quite fat, I always use aspectj, wtp, jpa, git for almost every project, and I switch wtp to rcp for the remaining ones....

Finally, upgrading to indigo not only will be possible, but I'm waiting it with enthusiasm. In the meantime, if there is something I can report back to help investigating let me know.

Re: Eclipse with OT/J really slow [message #685978 is a reply to message #685965] Tue, 21 June 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Luca,

Quote:
... and now it works better! However it still has some freezes and I noted that when I launch the workbench I've got a running progress for "showing role markers", so it seems that disabling it from the object team configuration makes it running better.

The show heap function says I've 657 MB, and I'm running always over 400 MB to 500 MB.

Good, so that seems to be a usable setup for you for now.

Still when you say it freezes I'm curious to hear if these are temporary (in that case you probably see some activity in the heap status?) or if you have to shutdown or kill Eclipse at any point (if so a bug with the corresponding stack dump (e.g., kill -3) would be most helpful).

Quote:

My eclipse installation is quite fat, I always use aspectj, wtp, jpa, git for almost every project, and I switch wtp to rcp for the remaining ones....

OK, so this qualifies your issues as being accumulative Smile

Specifically, if you use the AJDT, do you have JDT weaving enabled? There's a potential that this might interact badly with the OTDT. It's on my list of things to test/work on (only, I was focusing on compatibility with other Indigo projects during the last months ...).

let us know if you have any further issues/info,
thanks,
Stephan
Re: Eclipse with OT/J really slow [message #686371 is a reply to message #685978] Wed, 22 June 2011 06:11 Go to previous message
Thanks.
I confirm that the weaver is enabled in the workbench, so it could be an issue with that. Moreover when eclipse freezes I have to manually kill it, I have not collected the stack trace, I will post it within the logs the first time it happens again.
Previous Topic:OTDT 0.7.0 M2 - this is real
Next Topic:Unintended installation of the OT variant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:45:49 GMT 2024