Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » Can UML be agile if the code is not uploaded into the model ?
Can UML be agile if the code is not uploaded into the model ? [message #683679] Tue, 14 June 2011 08:33
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
I was talking about agile methodologies near the coffee machine few weeks ago. It seems to me that there is a confusion between what modelers consider agile and today's project reality.

Project managers consider that agile means multiple deliveries to end users who will slowly decide what they really need after seeing a live demo what is currently developped. It means that you need an architect/modeler and developers team to work at the same time. The delivery of java code and deployment on a server is therefore an obligation. The dilemma is that modelers often consider that agile is just a model+code generation but that a developers can not add deep modifications to the project structure at code level. Why not ?

If a developer doesn't code manually it is almost impossible to deliver a running application what ever is the quality of the model and code generation. It could work for small project but certainly not as soon as you are dealing with large corporate projects.

My question is: Can UML be agile if the code is not uploaded into the model at each iteration ? If yes, how and why ?

UML should not be stopped because of bad understanding usage but need to move to the next step and meet project manager needs. This is why I have launched this debate. Please contribute. thx
Previous Topic:Should UML model be saved as EMF annotations in the java code ?
Next Topic:Applying stereotype on another stereotype?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 21 02:40:21 GMT 2014