Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » OCL Console in SR2
OCL Console in SR2 [message #68382] Wed, 04 March 2009 22:32 Go to next message
Andrew H is currently offline Andrew HFriend
Messages: 117
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I just upgraded to SR2 and couldn't find the OCL console anywhere so ended
up copying it from SR1.

I know its just an example but we actually use it a lot. Its really useful
for us to make sure we type valid OCL before we copy it into our
application code.

Is there any plans to make OCL console or something similar an official
plugin?
Re: OCL Console in SR2 [message #68529 is a reply to message #68382] Fri, 06 March 2009 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cdamus.zeligsoft.com

Hi, Andrew,

How do you mean that it's absent? The SDK should still have the example
installer wizard. You wouldn't see a new version because those
particular plug-ins didn't have any changes in SR2 over the SR1 versions.

Are you trying to install using p2 from the Ganymede update site? From
the MDT update site? Or do you mean that the downloads page doesn't
have the Examples ZIP?

There is currently no plan to make the console "official." It simply
isn't sufficiently full-featured. Its eventual replacement is much
closer to what I would like to provide:

http://bugs.eclipse.org/259922

Cheers,

Christian


Andrew H wrote:
> I just upgraded to SR2 and couldn't find the OCL console anywhere so
> ended up copying it from SR1.
>
> I know its just an example but we actually use it a lot. Its really
> useful for us to make sure we type valid OCL before we copy it into our
> application code.
>
> Is there any plans to make OCL console or something similar an official
> plugin?
>
Re: OCL Console in SR2 [message #68578 is a reply to message #68529] Mon, 09 March 2009 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew H is currently offline Andrew HFriend
Messages: 117
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Christian

To be honest I have forgotten how I originally installed the OCL console.
I had assumed it was part of the ganamede update site. Maybe I did go to a
separate site??

When I upgraded to SR2 I could not find the console in any of the
preconfigured update sites. It surprised me at the time but maybe its not
suprising if I never got it that way in the first place.

We are not really interested in it as an example (although that may be
useful too). Its just that its the only simple way I have found to
evaluate ocl expressions.

We use OCL quite a bit but we aren't using it in anything that has its own
custom editor (like QVT). To avoid having to wait until we run a unit test
to know if we made a typo in our OCL we use the console to create the
expressions.

Seems to me that something like the OCL console should be part of the
standard tools available for EMF.


Christian W. Damus wrote:

> Hi, Andrew,

> How do you mean that it's absent? The SDK should still have the example
> installer wizard. You wouldn't see a new version because those
> particular plug-ins didn't have any changes in SR2 over the SR1 versions.

> Are you trying to install using p2 from the Ganymede update site? From
> the MDT update site? Or do you mean that the downloads page doesn't
> have the Examples ZIP?

> There is currently no plan to make the console "official." It simply
> isn't sufficiently full-featured. Its eventual replacement is much
> closer to what I would like to provide:

> http://bugs.eclipse.org/259922

> Cheers,

> Christian


> Andrew H wrote:
>> I just upgraded to SR2 and couldn't find the OCL console anywhere so
>> ended up copying it from SR1.
>>
>> I know its just an example but we actually use it a lot. Its really
>> useful for us to make sure we type valid OCL before we copy it into our
>> application code.
>>
>> Is there any plans to make OCL console or something similar an official
>> plugin?
>>
Re: OCL Console in SR2 [message #68596 is a reply to message #68578] Wed, 11 March 2009 13:23 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cdamus.zeligsoft.com

Hi, Andrew,

That makes sense. The console example was never in the coordinated
releases, except in the form of a workspace-project-installer wizard in
the OCL SDK feature.

The main reason why the console is not a first-class component of the
SDK is that the committer team cannot afford to support it. In part,
this is a resource issue, and in part, it is because the console is
lacking some rather essential capabilities. The enhancement request
that I referenced, and the patch attached to it, are a step towards
solving that problem.

Cheers,

Christian

Andrew H wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> To be honest I have forgotten how I originally installed the OCL
> console. I had assumed it was part of the ganamede update site. Maybe I
> did go to a separate site??
>
> When I upgraded to SR2 I could not find the console in any of the
> preconfigured update sites. It surprised me at the time but maybe its
> not suprising if I never got it that way in the first place.
>
> We are not really interested in it as an example (although that may be
> useful too). Its just that its the only simple way I have found to
> evaluate ocl expressions.
>
> We use OCL quite a bit but we aren't using it in anything that has its
> own custom editor (like QVT). To avoid having to wait until we run a
> unit test to know if we made a typo in our OCL we use the console to
> create the expressions.
>
> Seems to me that something like the OCL console should be part of the
> standard tools available for EMF.
>
>
> Christian W. Damus wrote:
>
>> Hi, Andrew,
>
>> How do you mean that it's absent? The SDK should still have the
>> example installer wizard. You wouldn't see a new version because
>> those particular plug-ins didn't have any changes in SR2 over the SR1
>> versions.
>
>> Are you trying to install using p2 from the Ganymede update site?
>> From the MDT update site? Or do you mean that the downloads page
>> doesn't have the Examples ZIP?
>
>> There is currently no plan to make the console "official." It simply
>> isn't sufficiently full-featured. Its eventual replacement is much
>> closer to what I would like to provide:
>
>> http://bugs.eclipse.org/259922
>
>> Cheers,
>
>> Christian
>
>
>> Andrew H wrote:
>>> I just upgraded to SR2 and couldn't find the OCL console anywhere so
>>> ended up copying it from SR1.
>>>
>>> I know its just an example but we actually use it a lot. Its really
>>> useful for us to make sure we type valid OCL before we copy it into
>>> our application code.
>>>
>>> Is there any plans to make OCL console or something similar an
>>> official plugin?
>>>
>
>
Previous Topic:Boolean operations and OCLUndefined
Next Topic:Pre-compiled OCL expressions?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Nov 23 20:01:46 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01911 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software