Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder
RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #674147] Wed, 25 May 2011 19:32 Go to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
When I upload a file via RSE or Aptana, a sub-folder is created within my intended upload folder and is named the same as my project folder is as displayed in PHP explorer. How do I upload directly into the intended folder without the addition of the sub-folder?

Thanks!
daved
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #674363 is a reply to message #674147] Thu, 26 May 2011 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
Please, help, anyone.
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #674858 is a reply to message #674147] Sat, 28 May 2011 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
How is it that I am the only one with this issue?

So then, if a fix is beyond finding, what do others do to work around this?
Please, any help would be appreciated.
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #675213 is a reply to message #674147] Mon, 30 May 2011 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnight
Messages: 244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Are you using the Remote Export Wizard to upload files to the host? If
you're working directly via RSE or an EFS project, I wouldn't expect a
folder to get uploaded as well as the file.

"daved" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:irk32n$v5c$1@news.eclipse.org...
> When I upload a file via RSE or Aptana, a sub-folder is created within my
> intended upload folder and is named the same as my project folder is as
> displayed in PHP explorer. How do I upload directly into the intended
> folder without the addition of the sub-folder?
>
> Thanks!
> daved
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #676093 is a reply to message #675213] Thu, 02 June 2011 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
I appreciate your response/participation!

Here's what happens:
I right click on the project folder, and click export.
I then use the RFS Wizard.
Usually it highlights only modified files, but sometimes highlights all files in the project.

The info note "Please enter a destination folder" shows just above the back, next, finish, cancel buttons. This shows up regardless of how many times I select a valid remote folder.

Once I click finish (review/synchronize checked), the wizard goes away and the Team Sync view opens up with my Remote Server as the destination.

I am then able to synchronize, which seems to do nothing, and also put with a right click on a file. When I click on put, the file is uploaded into a sub-folder (named the same as the project folder) within my intended folder.

If I run this process again, and I uploaded the files to the sub-folder, the wizard completes by telling me that no changes were found.


Overall, this system seems to work just fine. I just simply don't want to upload to a sub-folder within my destination folder. I would consider uploading into the directory one level up and naming my project "httpdocs," but most of my sites are on servers with httpdocs as the root folder and makes that workaround very undesirable.
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #676108 is a reply to message #676093] Thu, 02 June 2011 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnight
Messages: 244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Daved,

For straight-foward exports, I'd suggest not using the Review/Synchronize
checkbox (it's quite a different approach from the regular remote file
export). Note that you can indicate whether or not to export the directory
structure along with your files. If the export is something that you repeat
a lot, you might also consider saving the settings of the export to your
workspace so you don't have to use the wizard all the time.

Hope this helps,
Dave

"daved" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:is8p86$sb$1@news.eclipse.org...
>I appreciate your response/participation!
>
> Here's what happens:
> I right click on the project folder, and click export.
> I then use the RFS Wizard.
> Usually it highlights only modified files, but sometimes highlights all
> files in the project.
>
> The info note "Please enter a destination folder" shows just above the
> back, next, finish, cancel buttons. This shows up regardless of how many
> times I select a valid remote folder.
>
> Once I click finish (review/synchronize checked), the wizard goes away and
> the Team Sync view opens up with my Remote Server as the destination.
>
> I am then able to synchronize, which seems to do nothing, and also put
> with a right click on a file. When I click on put, the file is uploaded
> into a sub-folder (named the same as the project folder) within my
> intended folder.
>
> If I run this process again, and I uploaded the files to the sub-folder,
> the wizard completes by telling me that no changes were found.
>
>
> Overall, this system seems to work just fine. I just simply don't want to
> upload to a sub-folder within my destination folder. I would consider
> uploading into the directory one level up and naming my project
> "httpdocs," but most of my sites are on servers with httpdocs as the root
> folder and makes that workaround very undesirable.
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #676109 is a reply to message #676108] Thu, 02 June 2011 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
I do understand what you're saying, but the main point I am trying to take advantage of is being able to upload only modified files.

I certainly may be approaching this all wrong as I am learning eclipse and am coming from an entirely different set of work habits.

Thoughts?

I very much appreciate your time.
daved
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #676299 is a reply to message #676109] Fri, 03 June 2011 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnight
Messages: 244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Daved,

I see now that you're likely dealing with a number of files and want to be
able to sync only the changed ones of that set. In that case, using the
Team/Review approach does make sense. Regarding the upload into the
intended folder without created a subfolder, are you trying to export a
folder from a project or the project itself? If it's a folder under the
project, you might want to try exporting the project but checking only the
folder within the project and choosing the parent folder as the destination.

Let me know whether that helps,
Dave

"daved" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:is8tjo$585$1@news.eclipse.org...
>I do understand what you're saying, but the main point I am trying to take
>advantage of is being able to upload only modified files.
>
> I certainly may be approaching this all wrong as I am learning eclipse and
> am coming from an entirely different set of work habits.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I very much appreciate your time.
> daved
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #677651 is a reply to message #674147] Thu, 09 June 2011 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
Hi, Dave.
Thanks again for your time.

I tried your recommendation and received this error:
---
An error occurred during the put.
Failed to fetch contents for My-PC.mysite.com:/httpdocs/mysite.com/index.html
Missing element for chdir: '/httpdocs/mysite.com'
---
So far, it seems as though there is nowhere for me to alter any setting that might effect this. I do have other projects in my PHP Explorer, and this occurs regardless of whether or not other projects are open. Am I correct in assuming that when other users do this, it uploads correctly?

Digressing a bit, what method is most common for synchronizing to an FTP and/or keeping track of only modified files for selective upload?

Digressing further, might there be anyone around the forum willing to give me an over-the-phone tutorial on how to use Git (I would be more than happy to provide monetary compensation since)?

Cheers.
Daved
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #677653 is a reply to message #677651] Thu, 09 June 2011 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daved  is currently offline daved
Messages: 9
Registered: May 2011
Junior Member
Just to note, Aptana seems to be working fine for general uploading and syncing, but I am not able to figure out if it will allow me to quickly track recently modified files and upload them without needing to do a full sync or manually uploading each individual file by memory. This seems like such a basic process to be so complicated. Am I really the only one with this issue? I feel so isolated learning to use Eclipse because of this (Many, many thanks, Dave, for keeping me connected).
Re: RSE (and also Aptana) uploads are forced to sub-folder [message #682194 is a reply to message #677653] Fri, 10 June 2011 11:16 Go to previous message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnight
Messages: 244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"daved" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:ispi9g$k80$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Just to note, Aptana seems to be working fine for general uploading and
> syncing, but I am not able to figure out if it will allow me to quickly
> track recently modified files and upload them without needing to do a full
> sync or manually uploading each individual file by memory. This seems
> like such a basic process to be so complicated. Am I really the only one
> with this issue? I feel so isolated learning to use Eclipse because of
> this (Many, many thanks, Dave, for keeping me connected).

Hi Daved,

As other discussions on the newsgroup have suggested, what you might be
looking is rsync. There are some free clients available. There's also an
RSE enhancement awaiting a contribution here:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=195997

I have no experience with Aptana studio but it seems to be working for
others who need the syncing capability.
Previous Topic:RSE perspective: host properties default encoding
Next Topic:How to show only remote files in RSE's remote file selection dialog?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Apr 21 05:48:51 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02224 seconds