Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Automating Javadoc generation
Automating Javadoc generation [message #667979] Tue, 03 May 2011 08:15 Go to next message
Mart  is currently offline Mart Friend

I have recently started using eclipse IDE and so far have been very frustrated with it. This is the first of several issues I've encountered and I thought it's best to create a separate thread for each.

The whole system for generating javadoc seems very primitive. It seems I have to manually configure the javadoc settings every time I want to generate it for a project. I'm happy for most of it to use default settings but I still have to manually exclude the unit test directory and set the destination directory every time. I know there is is an option called "save the settings of this javadoc export as an Ant script", but this has some problems:

- It specifies the list of classes individually instead of including or excluding certain directories, so when I subsequently add or remove a class the ANT file is out of date and useless

- When I run the ANT script the generated javadoc contains two of every class name in the left panel, so it is useless anyway

- Classpath is stored as absolute pathnames so it would not work if someone else checks out the project and tries to run it

Is there a third party plugin that does a better job? At the moment I am forced to use the Generate Javadoc wizard every time, and manually exclude the unit test directory and set the destination. Anyone else who checks the project out would not know they have to do this.

Surely one of the basic jobs of an IDE is to automate the building of a project, including javadoc? I can't believe eclipse can't do it. Please tell me how if you know!

Eclipse 3.5.2 targeting WebLogic 11g
Re: Automating Javadoc generation [message #668013 is a reply to message #667979] Tue, 03 May 2011 11:43 Go to previous message
Mart  is currently offline Mart Friend
To answer a couple of my own questions, I discovered:

Because my unit test classes are in the same packages as the normal classes, after deselecting the unit test classes I ended up with directories where some files are selected and some not. Because of a bug in the ANT file generator, it specifies both the sourcepath and a list of individual source files, leading to the duplicate class names appearing in the left pane of the javadoc.

Modifying the ANT file manually to get rid of the individually specified files and removing the unit test directory from the sourcepath solves both the first and seconds problems.

What is doesn't solve is the problem of having to set up and maintain an ANT file manually. If I add a new library to the project I then have to manually add all of its jars to the classpath in the ANT file. It also contains the absolute paths of the library jar files instead of the IDE working out where the jar files are for the current build path on the current user's installation, so it won't work when someone else checks out the project and tries to build it.

Is there a plugin that does javadoc properly without ANT file kludges?

I'd also like to be able to press a single button to do a clean, build, javadoc and deploy of a project or working set. Is there a plugin to do that?
Previous Topic:Javadoc generation errors using WebLogic System Libraries in build path
Next Topic:Communication between command handlers in the same plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:49:40 GMT 2024