Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMF Compare] Correctly compare non-identifiable references
[EMF Compare] Correctly compare non-identifiable references [message #664646] Mon, 11 April 2011 13:56 Go to next message
Johannes Tietje is currently offline Johannes TietjeFriend
Hi,

I recently came along a problem with EMF Compare which I can not solve:

I want to compare two model instances of an Ecore meta model which exist as files. The Ecore meta model describes a very simple kind of state machines, where a state machine contains

a) a set of states (identified by a "name" attribute) and
b) a set of transitions referencing a starting and ending state and containing two attributes, "trigger" and "action", by which a transition is not identifiable!

When comparing these two files, EMF Compare generates a lot of differences which are really not present if I manually compare the two resulting state machines, but as transitions have no "identifier" and some combinations of "action" and "trigger" attributes happen to exist more than once, EMF Compare gets confused, I think.

Have you any "best practices" on comparing objects with references which are not identifiable by themselves but by their respective referenced objects?

Regards,
Johannes

Edit: I circumvented the problem by writing an own matcher for my model elements.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2011 17:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EMF Compare] Correctly compare non-identifiable references [message #664942 is a reply to message #664646] Tue, 12 April 2011 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi Johannes,

In such cases, writing your own matcher is indeed the way to go, as the generic match engine of EMF Compare wouldn't be able to match your objects without help.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: [EMF Compare] Correctly compare non-identifiable references [message #665210 is a reply to message #664646] Wed, 13 April 2011 16:53 Go to previous message
Johannes Tietje is currently offline Johannes TietjeFriend
Hi Laurent,

as I first experienced some problems writing my own Matcher, it could be interesting for others to know that it was not sufficient to override the "isSimilar"-method only to check the similarities between elements but also to override the "findMostSimilar"-method. This was because the generic matcher matches potential similar elements by their attribute values and not, as my problem was, at given reference values.

Regards,
Johannes
Previous Topic:[EMF] Relative paths in .ecore files
Next Topic:[teneo] Hibernate Interceptor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:32:44 GMT 2024