Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Problem With Images In The Help File
Problem With Images In The Help File [message #664478] Sat, 09 April 2011 11:02 Go to next message
Anup is currently offline AnupFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I have a RCP application. I have also written the help for this RCP app.
The help includes lot of images. The problem I am facing is that these
images are visible in the help system, when my application in run from
eclipse. But after exporting to a product, the images in the help system
are just not visible and are shown as red cross-marks.

The images are present in the exported jar file, but simply do not
appear in the help pages.

Any pointers on what the problem may be?

Thanks and regards,
Anup
Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #664773 is a reply to message #664478] Mon, 11 April 2011 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Most likely the images did not get exported. If you uncompress the jar file you can see if it includes the images. If not edit the build.properties file and add the directory containing the images to the binary build.
Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #665073 is a reply to message #664773] Wed, 13 April 2011 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anup is currently offline AnupFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
On 12-04-2011 04:08, Chris Goldthorpe wrote:
> Most likely the images did not get exported. If you uncompress the jar
> file you can see if it includes the images. If not edit the
> build.properties file and add the directory containing the images to the
> binary build.

The images are present in the exported jar file. I have checked by
uncompressing the jar file. I have also notices that the help system is
not using my style sheet. So this is definitely something related to
file paths, but I am just not able to find out what the exact problem is.

Any more pointers?

Warm regards,

Anup
Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #665249 is a reply to message #665073] Wed, 13 April 2011 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Are you using relative paths to reference the images? If so I would expect them to load correctly. Do you still see the problem if you export the bundle in uncompressed form ( i.e. not as a jar file)?
Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #665349 is a reply to message #665249] Thu, 14 April 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anup is currently offline AnupFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
On 14-04-2011 02:50, Chris Goldthorpe wrote:
> Are you using relative paths to reference the images? If so I would
> expect them to load correctly. Do you still see the problem if you
> export the bundle in uncompressed form ( i.e. not as a jar file)?

Hey thanks man! The images do get properly displayed when the plug-in is
exported in an un-compressed form. So the problem is solved. But when
exported as a jar, the images simply fail to show. Any idea what the
actual problem may be?

Regards,

Anup
Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #665516 is a reply to message #665349] Thu, 14 April 2011 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Usually it should make no difference whether a plug-in is in jar form or not because the help server handles every request for a help page, including images, css files etc and uses the Eclipse runtime to unzip the jar file if necessary. If you had an exceptionally large amount of help files in a single plug-in then it's possible that the runtime would reuse the space used to unzip the images but that does not seem like it is the case because that would affect not just images but pages also.

There is an older mechanism for compressing help files, which was to create a file called doc.zip but I assume you are not using that.

Re: Problem With Images In The Help File [message #665805 is a reply to message #665516] Sat, 16 April 2011 06:37 Go to previous message
Anup is currently offline AnupFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
On 15-04-2011 02:41, Chris Goldthorpe wrote:
> Usually it should make no difference whether a plug-in is in jar form or
> not because the help server handles every request for a help page,
> including images, css files etc and uses the Eclipse runtime to unzip
> the jar file if necessary. If you had an exceptionally large amount of
> help files in a single plug-in then it's possible that the runtime would
> reuse the space used to unzip the images but that does not seem like it
> is the case because that would affect not just images but pages also.
>
> There is an older mechanism for compressing help files, which was to
> create a file called doc.zip but I assume you are not using that.
>
>
I am using the standard plugin-export provided by Eclipse PDE. The
exported jar, at 5.13 MB, is not very big either .

Regards,

Anup
Previous Topic:Providing Help in Preferences
Next Topic:How to group books in InfoCenter?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 09:22:34 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.09267 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software