Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Slow concurrent report generation(Very slow generation of reports in a concurrent environment)
Slow concurrent report generation [message #663379] Mon, 04 April 2011 19:53 Go to next message
Ricardo Fernandes is currently offline Ricardo FernandesFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
I've a web application running in Jboss that have lots of concurrent users. At a given time, lots of reports are generated.

In this scenario, sometimes reports run very slow! They appear to be waiting for something and then continue. I'm using a Servlet (almost equal to the reference servlet) to handle report generation.

Taking a dump of the threads running, I've noticed something strange:

org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.ReportQueryBuilder.b uild(ReportQueryBuilder.java:256)
- locked <0x45a228> (a org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.ir.Report)
org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.ReportQueryBuilder.b uild(ReportQueryBuilder.java:237)
- locked <0x45a228> (a org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.ir.Report)

Do you think there's anything related to this? The 'locked' keyword took my attention, but I don't know what could be causing this! Any clues?

thanks a lot in advance, Ricardo
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #663648 is a reply to message #663379] Wed, 06 April 2011 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Ricardo,

Are all tasks being closed? Are you using runandrender task or run task
followed by render task?

Jason

On 4/4/2011 3:53 PM, Ricardo Fernandes wrote:
> I've a web application running in Jboss that have lots of concurrent
> users. At a given time, lots of reports are generated.
>
> In this scenario, sometimes reports run very slow! They appear to be
> waiting for something and then continue. I'm using a Servlet (almost
> equal to the reference servlet) to handle report generation.
>
> Taking a dump of the threads running, I've noticed something strange:
>
> org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.ReportQueryBuilder.b
> uild(ReportQueryBuilder.java:256)
> - locked <0x45a228> (a org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.ir.Report)
> org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.ReportQueryBuilder.b
> uild(ReportQueryBuilder.java:237)
> - locked <0x45a228> (a org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.ir.Report)
>
> Do you think there's anything related to this? The 'locked' keyword took
> my attention, but I don't know what could be causing this! Any clues?
>
> thanks a lot in advance, Ricardo
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #663730 is a reply to message #663648] Wed, 06 April 2011 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo Fernandes is currently offline Ricardo FernandesFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
Hi, Jason,

All tasks are being closed and I'm using runandrender. Should I try run, then render?

thanks in advance!
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #663980 is a reply to message #663730] Thu, 07 April 2011 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Are you using the Graphical query builder in your datasources or the
normal jdbc datasource. I think this error message needs to be logged
as a bugzilla entry. Any chance you could do that?

Jason

On 4/6/2011 7:04 AM, Ricardo Fernandes wrote:
> Hi, Jason,
>
> All tasks are being closed and I'm using runandrender. Should I try run,
> then render?
>
> thanks in advance!
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #664423 is a reply to message #663980] Fri, 08 April 2011 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo Fernandes is currently offline Ricardo FernandesFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
I'm using the normal jdbc datasource, providing a JNDI url. I'm opening an entry in Bugzilla. thanks!
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #664735 is a reply to message #664423] Mon, 11 April 2011 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo Fernandes is currently offline Ricardo FernandesFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
Bugzilla entry:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=342325

The problem persists. After a while, reports run very slow. I tested through the same database using another instance and they run fine (there are no locks in the DB).

I'm very frustated with that, because I have to restart every day the app. server. After restarting, everything becomes alright. Memory and CPU utilization is OK during that.

thanks in advance!
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #664736 is a reply to message #664735] Mon, 11 April 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo Fernandes is currently offline Ricardo FernandesFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
Another info: looking at the thread dump, I've noticed there are lots of threads related to birt that are in "Runnable" state.
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #664836 is a reply to message #664736] Tue, 12 April 2011 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Can you post the code you are using? Are you using runandrender task or
separate run and then render task?

Jason

On 4/11/2011 2:45 PM, Ricardo Fernandes wrote:
> Another info: looking at the thread dump, I've noticed there are lots of
> threads related to birt that are in "Runnable" state.
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #757826 is a reply to message #664836] Mon, 21 November 2011 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gustavo Lanna is currently offline Gustavo LannaFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
Ricardo,

Have you solved this problem?

Thanks
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #758104 is a reply to message #757826] Mon, 21 November 2011 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Gustavo

Are you having this issue?
This looks to me like task where not being closed or the rptdocument not
being closed.

Jason


On 11/21/2011 2:26 PM, Gustavo Lanna wrote:
> Ricardo,
>
> Have you solved this problem?
>
> Thanks
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #758826 is a reply to message #758104] Thu, 24 November 2011 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gustavo Lanna is currently offline Gustavo LannaFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2011
Junior Member
Jason,

Thank you for reply! I'm using birt runtime WebViewer, and I do not close taks and rptdocuments. There is a way to do this in WebViewer?


Gustavo
Re: Slow concurrent report generation [message #759488 is a reply to message #758826] Mon, 28 November 2011 19:35 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

If you are using the WebViwer the documents should be getting closed
automatically.

Jason


On 11/24/2011 11:21 AM, Gustavo Lanna wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Thank you for reply! I'm using birt runtime WebViewer, and I do not
> close taks and rptdocuments. There is a way to do this in WebViewer?
>
>
> Gustavo
Previous Topic:Integration with Active Directory?
Next Topic:Specifying only the JNDI details for report template?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Nov 24 21:48:48 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02789 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software