Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Problem using Buckminster to create p2 site with categories
Problem using Buckminster to create p2 site with categories [message #661976] Mon, 28 March 2011 17:19 Go to next message
Tamar Cohen is currently offline Tamar CohenFriend
I'm trying to create a p2 site to deliver eclipse-based RCP within my organization. I have been following the various p2 and buckminster documentation I have found to define categories; I've tried a site.xml, category.xml, and defining the catgories within the build.properties file.

When I call the p2.build step from Buckminster on the feature that contains the p2 definition, the resulting p2 repository does not have the specified categories, seemingly no matter what I try.

My latest attempt has all the buckminster.properties contained within the build.properties and the p2 settings are as follows:
bin.includes = feature.xml
p2.gathering = true
p2.flavor = tooling
p2.publish.artifacts=true
p2.category.definition = file://absolute/path/gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse/category.xml
category.default=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse.ide

I have also set buckminster output levels to debug and so I see this:
[start gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse:eclipse.feature$1.0.0.qualifier#si te.p2]
Product base = ${buckminster.output}/site.p2/
target.arch=x86_64
buckminster.component=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse
p2.gathering=true
p2.publish.artifacts=true
category.default=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse.ide
p2.category.definition=file://absolute/path/gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse/category.xml
buckminster.component.type=eclipse.feature
buckminster.version=1.0.0.qualifier
target.nl=en_US
target.ws=cocoa
p2.flavor=tooling
target.os=macosx
target.location=/Applications/eclipse_3.6.2_clean/delta-pack

QUESTIONS:
What SHOULD I be doing to have Buckminster create the p2 categories?
How can I get buckminster to refer to the category.xml file without using the absolute path?
When I take the same category.xml file, convert it to a site.xml file and use PDE to create the p2 update site, the site has the cateogories.

thanks

Tamar
Re: Problem using Buckminster to create p2 site with categories [message #661978 is a reply to message #661976] Mon, 28 March 2011 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamar Cohen is currently offline Tamar CohenFriend
One more detail -- I want to publish extra features on my udpate site that are not required by my RCP. Perhaps Buckminster is deciding they are not required and thereby skipping them?
Re: Problem using Buckminster to create p2 site with categories [message #662006 is a reply to message #661976] Mon, 28 March 2011 20:08 Go to previous message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Tamar,

I suggest you take a look at one of our site projects.

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/tools/org.eclipse.buckminster /trunk/org.eclipse.buckminster.site.eclipse/

Those two files are all that's needed to a) define the contents of your update site and b) to categorize that content.
You don't need any special properties. Just create a site feature like that and execute its site.p2 action.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 2011-03-28 19:19, Tamar Cohen wrote:
> I'm trying to create a p2 site to deliver eclipse-based RCP within my organization. I have been following the various p2
> and buckminster documentation I have found to define categories; I've tried a site.xml, category.xml, and defining the
> catgories within the build.properties file.
>
> When I call the p2.build step from Buckminster on the feature that contains the p2 definition, the resulting p2
> repository does not have the specified categories, seemingly no matter what I try.
>
> My latest attempt has all the buckminster.properties contained within the build.properties and the p2 settings are as
> follows:
> bin.includes = feature.xml
> p2.gathering = true
> p2.flavor = tooling p2.publish.artifacts=true p2.category.definition =
> file://absolute/path/gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse/category.xml
> category.default=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse.ide
>
> I have also set buckminster output levels to debug and so I see this:
> [start gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse:eclipse.feature$1.0.0.qualifier#si te.p2]
> Product base = ${buckminster.output}/site.p2/
> target.arch=x86_64
> buckminster.component=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse
> p2.gathering=true
> p2.publish.artifacts=true category.default=gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse.ide
> p2.category.definition=file://absolute/path/gov.nasa.ensemble.eclipse/category.xml
> buckminster.component.type=eclipse.feature
> buckminster.version=1.0.0.qualifier
> target.nl=en_US
> target.ws=cocoa
> p2.flavor=tooling target.os=macosx
> target.location=/Applications/eclipse_3.6.2_clean/delta-pack
>
> QUESTIONS:
> What SHOULD I be doing to have Buckminster create the p2 categories?
> How can I get buckminster to refer to the category.xml file without using the absolute path?
> When I take the same category.xml file, convert it to a site.xml file and use PDE to create the p2 update site, the site
> has the cateogories.
>
> thanks
>
> Tamar
Previous Topic:Materialization problem from the IDE
Next Topic:Documentation suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:42:46 GMT 2024