Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon
Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon [message #660628] Sun, 20 March 2011 07:53 Go to next message
Karl Weber is currently offline Karl Weber
Messages: 63
Registered: September 2010
Member
I created a new E4-application from scratch with Eclipse SDK 4.1M6.

It has no java classes so far, only a product and an application definition.

The application definition contains the following

  • the six AddOns that are also present in the contacts demo
  • one TrimmedWindow

On running the product, I get the exception
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2011-03-20 12:38:59.229
!MESSAGE Unable to create class 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.util.BindingProcessingAddon' from bundle '35'
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:63)
...

What are the minimal requirements for an E4-application?

P.S. Since I got various other exceptions before, I successively added some plug-ins as required bundles to the plug-in definition of my application, but I have no idea, what (else) is really necessary... So here my current MANIFEST.MF
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: App
Bundle-SymbolicName: de.gps.app;singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime;bundle-version="3.7.0",
 org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench;bundle-version="0.9.1",
 org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt;bundle-version="0.9.1",
 org.eclipse.equinox.ds;bundle-version="1.3.0",
 org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings;bundle-version="0.9.0",
 org.eclipse.e4.core.services;bundle-version="0.9.1"
Bundle-Vendor: as

The product contains all required plug-ins.
Re: Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon [message #660633 is a reply to message #660628] Sun, 20 March 2011 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl Weber is currently offline Karl Weber
Messages: 63
Registered: September 2010
Member
A minimal E4-application seems to involve the following:

    [1] Create a bundle for the application with no java sources. The MANIFEST.MF has no dependencies.
    [2] Create an Application.e4xmi. It should (must?) have the six AddOns from the contact demo and a TrimmedWindow.
    [3] Create a product and add the following four bundles:

    • the bundle of the application
    • org.eclipse.equinox.ds
    • org.eclipse.equinox.event
    • org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt

    [4] Press add all required bundles

Now the application starts up and shows an empty window -- as expected. The exception concerning BindingProcessingAddon, however, still occurs. What is still missing?

Edit:

The problem seems to be that I added the add-on

platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt/org.eclipse .e4.ui.workbench.swt.util.BindingProcessingAddon

to my Application.e4xmi without having defined a BindingTable. After I removed this add-on everything seems to work fine.

Is there any documentation about when which add-ons are necessary?

[Updated on: Sun, 20 March 2011 10:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon [message #660638 is a reply to message #660628] Sun, 20 March 2011 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

This looks like a bug in the M6. The offending code is in BindingCopies
which is not initialized appropriately in a pure e4 application!

Tom

Am 20.03.11 04:53, schrieb Karl Weber:
> I created a new E4-application from scratch with Eclipse SDK 4.1M6.
>
> It has no java classes so far, only a product and an application
> definition.
>
> The application definition contains the following
>
> the six AddOns that are also present in the contacts demo
> one TrimmedWindow
>
> On running the product, I get the exception
>
> !ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2011-03-20 12:38:59.229
> !MESSAGE Unable to create class
> 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.util.BindingProcessingAddon ' from
> bundle '35'
> !STACK 0
> org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(Meth odRequestor.java:63)
>
> ..
>
> What are the minimal requirements for an E4-application?
>
> P.S. Since I got various other exceptions before, I successively added
> some plug-ins as required bundles to the plug-in definition of my
> application, but I have no idea, what (else) is really necessary... So
> here my current MANIFEST.MF
>
> Manifest-Version: 1.0
> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
> Bundle-Name: App
> Bundle-SymbolicName: de.gps.app;singleton:=true
> Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
> Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6
> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime;bundle-version="3.7.0",
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench;bundle-version="0.9.1",
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt;bundle-version="0.9.1",
> org.eclipse.equinox.ds;bundle-version="1.3.0",
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings;bundle-version="0.9.0",
> org.eclipse.e4.core.services;bundle-version="0.9.1"
> Bundle-Vendor: as
>
> The product contains all required plug-ins.
Re: Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon [message #660639 is a reply to message #660638] Sun, 20 March 2011 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5244
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I've logged https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=340508 The
only possibility to fix the problem is to add org.eclipse.ui.workbench
(which is the compat layer) to your launch configuration which naturally
is by definition a stupid thing and we are going to fix this ASAP.

Thanks for reporting the problem and is very embarrassing that we didn't
spot such a problem ourselves.

Tom

Am 20.03.11 07:46, schrieb Tom Schindl:
> Hi,
>
> This looks like a bug in the M6. The offending code is in BindingCopies
> which is not initialized appropriately in a pure e4 application!
>
> Tom
>
> Am 20.03.11 04:53, schrieb Karl Weber:
>> I created a new E4-application from scratch with Eclipse SDK 4.1M6.
>>
>> It has no java classes so far, only a product and an application
>> definition.
>>
>> The application definition contains the following
>>
>> the six AddOns that are also present in the contacts demo
>> one TrimmedWindow
>>
>> On running the product, I get the exception
>>
>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2011-03-20 12:38:59.229
>> !MESSAGE Unable to create class
>> 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.util.BindingProcessingAddon ' from
>> bundle '35'
>> !STACK 0
>> org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at
>> org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(Meth odRequestor.java:63)
>>
>> ..
>>
>> What are the minimal requirements for an E4-application?
>>
>> P.S. Since I got various other exceptions before, I successively added
>> some plug-ins as required bundles to the plug-in definition of my
>> application, but I have no idea, what (else) is really necessary... So
>> here my current MANIFEST.MF
>>
>> Manifest-Version: 1.0
>> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
>> Bundle-Name: App
>> Bundle-SymbolicName: de.gps.app;singleton:=true
>> Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
>> Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6
>> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime;bundle-version="3.7.0",
>> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench;bundle-version="0.9.1",
>> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt;bundle-version="0.9.1",
>> org.eclipse.equinox.ds;bundle-version="1.3.0",
>> org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings;bundle-version="0.9.0",
>> org.eclipse.e4.core.services;bundle-version="0.9.1"
>> Bundle-Vendor: as
>>
>> The product contains all required plug-ins.
>
Re: Unable to create class BindingProcessingAddon [message #661928 is a reply to message #660628] Mon, 28 March 2011 10:27 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul Webster
Messages: 6859
Registered: July 2009
Location: Ottawa
Senior Member

On 03/20/2011 07:53 AM, Karl Weber wrote:
> I created a new E4-application from scratch with Eclipse SDK 4.1M6.

The workaround is to check out org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings from head
(then you can get rid of org.eclipse.ui.workbench problems).

You need org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings from HEAD to avoid an NPE
anonymous@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse
e4/org.eclipse.e4.ui/bundles/org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings



--
Paul Webster
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Expression_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm


Previous Topic:Some questions about savable parts
Next Topic:Multi-page Editors/Parts in e4?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jul 25 14:15:21 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02193 seconds