Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » Installing Eclipse & UML2 software(Proper Exclipse version? Proper UML2 install?)
Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #659045] Thu, 10 March 2011 19:21 Go to next message
Lou Arnold is currently offline Lou ArnoldFriend
I would like to use Eclipse to create UML 2 diagrams, manually.
I downloaded and unziped Eclipse Modeling Tools, Version: Helios Service Release 2, Build id: 20110218-0911
I then tried to install UML2 and had troubles when compared to the article at: http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/uml2/docs/articles/Getti ng_Started_with_UML2/article.html.(2008 vintage)

So I would like some help:
1) Do I have the proper version of Eclipse installed?
2) What exacly do I install that is/are UML2 software?
3) What "Avaliable sites" do I enable to get that software listed so I can get it installed?
4) Is there a more recent tutorial for creating UML 2 diagrams?
Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #659106 is a reply to message #659045] Fri, 11 March 2011 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
UML2 does not produce diagrams, it is a library for tools that manipulate UML models.

See this list for some tools with graphical modeling capabilities:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT-UML2-Tool-Compatibility
Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #659343 is a reply to message #659106] Sat, 12 March 2011 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves wrote on Thu, 10 March 2011 23:32
UML2 does not produce diagrams, it is a library for tools that manipulate UML models.

See this list for some tools with graphical modeling capabilities:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT-UML2-Tool-Compatibility
UML2 a library OK, i understand.

I assume that I downloaded the right flavor of Eclipse?
Do I need to install UML2?

Given your reference, what is the difference between MDT Papyrus, and Papyrus UML?
Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #659467 is a reply to message #659045] Mon, 14 March 2011 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
Papyrus became an eclipse project, since then the release is called MDT Papyrus, I don't know the technical diffs. I'm running it on Helios. I tried to get running both UML2 Tools and MDT Papyrus in eclipse Helios, but only succeeded with the latter.

Let me know if you can't get any modeller to work under eclipse AND if you just want to nonseriously play with UML2 modeling. Because there is the option to use the UML2 library with ArgoUML, which is just an "unzip and double click" Java solution, but the GUI part is in a pre-productive state. Works well for me.
Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #659546 is a reply to message #659467] Mon, 14 March 2011 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you all for your help.

I managed to install Eclipse MDT, but after some reading abandoned UML2 Tools. It seems few diagram types of supported - quite understandable given the changes in UML.

I did find the tool Software Ideas Modeller, and will try it for at least one aspect of my project.
icon4.gif  Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #667481 is a reply to message #659106] Fri, 29 April 2011 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad Rogers is currently offline Brad RogersFriend
wait, so nothing in Eclipse lets you do graphical UI design? I have tried also to get a "plugin" to do the graphical design but couldnt get anything to work except a text only interface.

The link was not clear,

Question remains: how or what do I download (and thereupon install or activate or put or ?) to be able to input a UML design?

Re: Installing Eclipse & UML2 software [message #667681 is a reply to message #667481] Sun, 01 May 2011 09:50 Go to previous message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
Brad,

Eclipse plugins are designed to be used by developers creating UML tools. It is therefore almost impossible for a single user to create its own tool using these plugins.

An alternative is to use a tool which has already done the integration job for you.

Open source tool:
- Topcased certainly the best but it seems the project is not getting anymore finance and maintenace. The project is therefore dead even if they say it going to merge with Papyrus !!
- Papyrus not as good as Topcased but the French sponsor seems to have still plenty of public money to spend and therefore the project will keep going for many years.

Non open source:
- RSA which is really a good tool and very nice sequence diagram. The best tool for MDD
- Omondo is dedicated to Java and have the best class diagram. This tool is dedicated to agile live synchronization.

Hope this help and good luck for your project.

Vlad Varnica
Employed by Omondo

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2011 09:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to set opposite in association properties
Next Topic:How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:49:14 GMT 2024