Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » BIRT Viewer leaving files open?
BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658471] Tue, 08 March 2011 16:15 Go to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
We have a BIRT Viewer setup on tomcat 5.5, rhel 5, java 1.6.23.

When we generate a report, you can do this:

lsof | egrep java

java 2845 root 617u REG 253,0 314214 131125 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList19613244 (deleted)
java 2845 root 618u REG 253,0 313797 131126 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30222539 (deleted)
java 2845 root 620u REG 253,0 252000 131127 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList23658015 (deleted)
java 2845 root 621u REG 253,0 313797 131128 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList251432 (deleted)
java 2845 root 622u REG 253,0 252000 131129 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList31527019 (deleted)
java 2845 root 623u REG 253,0 239071 131130 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList16573392 (deleted)
java 2845 root 624u REG 253,0 240416 131131 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList13675460 (deleted)
java 2845 root 625u REG 253,0 252000 131143 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList33448450 (deleted)
java 2845 root 626u REG 253,0 252000 131136 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList24793977 (deleted)
java 2845 root 627u REG 253,0 404214 131199 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList28869360 (deleted)
java 2845 root 628u REG 253,0 223766 131151 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList7686347 (deleted)
java 2845 root 629u REG 253,0 223631 131154 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList33433724 (deleted)
java 2845 root 630u REG 253,0 265377 131158 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30043153 (deleted)
java 2845 root 631u REG 253,0 239071 131159 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList8181808 (deleted)
java 2845 root 632u REG 253,0 263750 131162 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList5591349 (deleted)
java 2845 root 633u REG 253,0 240416 131163 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList21397551 (deleted)
java 2845 root 634u REG 253,0 223766 131164 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList28685099 (deleted)
java 2845 root 635u REG 253,0 223631 131165 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList395110 (deleted)
java 2845 root 636u REG 253,0 404214 131166 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30394608 (deleted)
java 2845 root 637u REG 253,0 403797 131168 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList9507802 (deleted)
java 2845 root 638u REG 253,0 265377 131169 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList11429932 (deleted)
java 2845 root 639u REG 253,0 263750 131171 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList3748215 (deleted)
java 2845 root 641u REG 253,0 536841 131197 /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList13765283 (deleted)

etc.

For a "heavy" report, there are about 20 files generated, and less for "lighter" reports.

Eventually these will get GC'd. However, our servers get hit quite a lot, and typically we blow past the open file limits quickly. I upped the open file limit for now, but my question is this:

Should BIRT be leaving files open like this? As in, is this supposed to be happening or are we not cleaning up the reports correctly, making some sort of "end" call, etc.?

Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658477 is a reply to message #658471] Tue, 08 March 2011 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Logan,

Those files are supposed to be created. I would have expected them to
close though. Can you post your code?

Jason

On 3/8/2011 11:16 AM, Logan wrote:
> We have a BIRT Viewer setup on tomcat 5.5, rhel 5, java 1.6.23.
>
> When we generate a report, you can do this:
>
> lsof | egrep java
>
> java 2845 root 617u REG 253,0 314214 131125
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList19613244 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 618u REG 253,0 313797 131126
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30222539 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 620u REG 253,0 252000 131127
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList23658015 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 621u REG 253,0 313797 131128
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList251432 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 622u REG 253,0 252000 131129
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList31527019 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 623u REG 253,0 239071 131130
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList16573392 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 624u REG 253,0 240416 131131
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList13675460 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 625u REG 253,0 252000 131143
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList33448450 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 626u REG 253,0 252000 131136
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList24793977 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 627u REG 253,0 404214 131199
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList28869360 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 628u REG 253,0 223766 131151
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList7686347 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 629u REG 253,0 223631 131154
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList33433724 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 630u REG 253,0 265377 131158
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30043153 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 631u REG 253,0 239071 131159
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList8181808 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 632u REG 253,0 263750 131162
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList5591349 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 633u REG 253,0 240416 131163
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList21397551 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 634u REG 253,0 223766 131164
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList28685099 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 635u REG 253,0 223631 131165
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList395110 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 636u REG 253,0 404214 131166
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList30394608 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 637u REG 253,0 403797 131168
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList9507802 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 638u REG 253,0 265377 131169
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList11429932 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 639u REG 253,0 263750 131171
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList3748215 (deleted)
> java 2845 root 641u REG 253,0 536841 131197
> /opt/birt/temp/DataEngine_5033323_2675/BasicDiskList13765283 (deleted)
>
> etc.
>
> For a "heavy" report, there are about 20 files generated, and less for
> "lighter" reports.
> Eventually these will get GC'd. However, our servers get hit quite a
> lot, and typically we blow past the open file limits quickly. I upped
> the open file limit for now, but my question is this:
>
> Should BIRT be leaving files open like this? As in, is this supposed to
> be happening or are we not cleaning up the reports correctly, making
> some sort of "end" call, etc.?
>
>
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658485 is a reply to message #658477] Tue, 08 March 2011 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
Are you looking for the rpt file?

Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658516 is a reply to message #658485] Tue, 08 March 2011 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Logan,

Sorry I did not read the title of the message. You are using the viewer
correct? Has it been modified? Can you open a bug to discuss with dev
team?

Jason

On 3/8/2011 12:22 PM, Logan wrote:
> Are you looking for the rpt file?
>
>
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658519 is a reply to message #658471] Tue, 08 March 2011 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
Just opened a bug.

Viewer is totally unmodified.
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658558 is a reply to message #658471] Wed, 09 March 2011 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
I could have lied about the GC as well. I thought I had witnessed the number of open files dwindle down as time went on, but I have been monitoring it most of the day today and one of the servers is sitting on 1900 open, deleted files. Its been at that level for the past hour or so.

Another server that doesn't get much action has been sitting at 444 for the better part of 6 hours.
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #658716 is a reply to message #658558] Wed, 09 March 2011 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Logan

Can you post the bug number?

Jason

On 3/8/2011 7:06 PM, Logan wrote:
> I could have lied about the GC as well. I thought I had witnessed the
> number of open files dwindle down as time went on, but I have been
> monitoring it most of the day today and one of the servers is sitting on
> 1900 open, deleted files. Its been at that level for the past hour or so.
> Another server that doesn't get much action has been sitting at 444 for
> the better part of 6 hours.
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #659015 is a reply to message #658716] Thu, 10 March 2011 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
Bug 339275
Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #659820 is a reply to message #659015] Tue, 15 March 2011 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan  is currently offline Logan
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
This has been fixed in 2.6.2

Re: BIRT Viewer leaving files open? [message #660000 is a reply to message #659820] Wed, 16 March 2011 14:02 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Thanks for the update

On 3/15/2011 1:44 PM, Logan wrote:
> This has been fixed in 2.6.2
>
>
Previous Topic:Add BIRT runtime library jar files into RCP app?
Next Topic:Putting a description into a chart
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Sep 19 07:52:11 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02944 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software