Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Publishing p2 site via svn(Problem with version strings in filenames)
Publishing p2 site via svn [message #654155] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:28
Tobias Kniep is currently offline Tobias KniepFriend
Hello,

for various reasons we cannot use a webserver with a P2 Update Site for distributing our plugin updates to the development team.
Therefore, we currently generate our P2 Site (using the p2.site action) into a folder which is under
version control (SVN).

In principle this works fine. After doing a svn up and restarting Eclipse on the team's machines, the updated plugins are available.

One problem, however, is that each time after running p2.site we have to add new files to the SVN repository. This is because of the version string the names of the jar-files under site.p2/features and site.p2/plugins. We use the build timestamp for qualifier replacement leading to a new version number in each build. Our repository quickly fills up with a lot of jar-files which are not really needed because we could simply use older SVN revisions to retrieve older versions of the bundles. Currently, we end up regularly removing the old files from SVN.

One possible solution would be (I think) to not add version information to the names of the jar-files and thus overwrite the old version of the files with each build. E.g.:

site.p2/
    features/
        my.feature.jar
    plugins/
        my.first.plugin.jar
        my.second.plugin.jar
    artifacts.jar
    content.jar

However, this seems to be violating the naming conventions and as fast as I understand Buckminsters ANT-Tasks (e.g. create.bundle.jar) the usage of version strings is hardcoded.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can provide some hints on how to get rid of all this
adding/removing of files in SVN?

Thanks,
Tobias

Previous Topic:buckmminster and custom build callback
Next Topic:Getting other kind of files using maven, maven2 provider
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:46:58 GMT 2024